Signs!

said

I thought of a work-around: what if they implement some way that the character could "write" on the walls, (blood or paint or something). You could mark where you've been or a dangerous room, without breaking immersion.
One method I tried to use is marking places by placing items. Doesn't work as well as I hoped since I seem to forget about them easily. Using bigger items like chairs and wood planks works better but it takes too much time to carry them around.

Giving the player ability to draw on the walls means being ok with them drawing huge genitals in supposedly serious places so I think it may break the immersion. :D

Dorag

For a first post, and any post for that matter, that's a wonderful idea
It could even be in signs that indicate some sort of foreign language, but contrary to what you said, unless you know that language it won't be translated when you click on it, but the smart player (And we're all smart here, lets admit it) will be able to remember signs he's already seen to indicate they've been there, it would make it easier for new players and new maps that'll come up :D

Wonderful idea I hope it gets looked at :)

konggary

You're right in terms of being able to paint: The player could easily abuse it, breaking immersion. On the other hand, when used correctly, it could add a great deal of immersion and fun for any serious player, and lets be honest, this is a game for serious players.

Greenbrog

Insider
Don't anything mentioned really fits with Exanima at all. This structure you're in also isn't anywhere near large enough for a true society, just one castle worth so far, and how the "f" was it being supplied. It's not "that" large so far and every room has indicators as to what they were. You wake up naked in a scorch mark, you're really going to take the time to sit down and ink a map? Having a way to mark the walls wouldn't be bad, but really it's not that large an area in truth. People just aren't used to having to remember places like this. everyone has a cell phone and gps to "tell" them where to go.

konggary

This has probably already been answered, but do they plan on removing the loading screens? It would be cool to just have some kind of natural separation between levels instead of a loading screen, then it would make it all seem like one big area. The area between levels would have to be very indicative of what it is though, as to eliminate confusion.

I bring this up because if this were implemented, some way to track your progress would be very useful. Personally, I just roam around and memorize the vague layout of all the areas, but when they finally finish the 7 or so levels they have planned, I'm not sure my tactic would be too viable. Perhaps BM simply wanted the journal to cover this, giving the player the ability to write down details of where they've been.

Bullethead

I thought of a work-around: what if they implement some way that the character could "write" on the walls, (blood or paint or something). You could mark where you've been or a dangerous room, without breaking immersion.
This is a good idea, especially because I've often wanted it myself in other games :). But seriously, this really fits the whole physically interactive world of Exanima. You should be able to mark the walls with your torch (soot stains), or smear some dirt or something. Not maybe to write words but to just make mnemonic symbols, arrows, etc. I sometimes make arrows on the floor out of boards but there aren't always boards available.

Greenbrog

Insider
I would guide all of you to what Madoc wrote in a similar thread on the stream forums. Ignore my posts though.

konggary

Graph paper and pencils.

Or you could just try to remember it...
That's what I was saying: remembering the layout of the whole 14 levels will be strenuous, especially when there aren't any loading screens. Even after playing for a decent chunk of time, I can still easily get lost in level 2...

Sure, a written map would do the job, with some work. On the other hand, giving the player an option to simply paint coded symbols in an intersection to indicate where each path leads, that's easy and gives the tools straight to the player. I don't want to do homework for my video games.

Greenbrog

Insider
You aren't going to need anything from level 1-3 after you go through the portal. And nothing is stopping you from drawing a map with pen and paper, or using one that some else has made. Where is this spray paint coming form anyway? Or when you make it to a place that has dyes your going to cover your character in dye trying to carry glass jars, cannot discount this element of realism if your taking the other part of the realism. Why would the Devs put in tools for you to just put peni on everything? Because it's screen shots of the game is going to become inundated with with a mechanic like that.

A core tenet of the game is for the player to do things themselves, the player themselves. Why is drawing a simple picture homework? Why is homework bad? When did picking up a pencil/pen with some paper become so tiresome? Or and this is the hard one, you could try to hone a simple but useful skill of trying to quickly memorize something, it's handy in all sorts of things. Or take periodic screen shots if you don't want to use a pencil, or a picture. Or drag garbage around with you putting piles or markers of your own around places, though your still going to keep a key somewhere. What exactly is drawing something on the ground going to do? If you need a breadcrumb trail level trash behind

I get it the physics, interact with the world... It is what the game is about.

also this pertains
http://steamcommunity.com/app/362490/discussions/0/496881136921634265/

Bare Mettle [developer] 16 hours ago

I didn't read the whole discussion because it's long, but signs would remind me of a modern supermarket rather than this particular setting. Having signs everywhere is an extremely modern concept, in medieval times signs would at most guide you to a town on long distance journeys.

Either way I know I don't look at signs unless I'm visiting somewehre for the first time, in a place like this you'd expect anyone new to be shown around by someone who knows the place.

konggary

14 levels (4 done), and I believe they intend to replace the giant doors with stairs and to eliminate load screens

With how much the undead bleed when you get a good chop at them, I'd imagine a paintable substance is not in short supply. In terms of dyes, I would guess that 95% of them are dried up like the rest of the bottles. There are other ways though: you could take some soot from your torch, leave some scratches on the wall with your sword...

You're right in terms of being able to paint: The player could easily abuse it, breaking immersion. On the other hand, when used correctly, it could add a great deal of immersion and fun for any serious player, and lets be honest, this is a game for serious players.
Edit: While we're at it, let's remove the ability to name the character. We don't want any players putting bad words in there!

Making maps for a game can be great- there are thousands of community guides for Dark Souls, for example. But the common player doesn't want to do this. If they forgot which rooms they'd cleared and wanted to go back for a certain item, they would probably look up a map online. On the other hand, a diligent player would paste an "X" on the doors of rooms he's been to and cleaned out.

This concept doesn't make maps obsolete, it just provides a more convenient short-term option, which is what this original post was about.

Last edited:
I, for one, have as much fun making my own maps as just playing the game. I just wish there was a simple way of measuring the length of couple of those long corridors - I'm always worried I'm off by a tile or two...

Gozer

If you lived and worked there everyday of your life, you wouldn't need any signage.

Oh you may be lost for a month or two, but after that yer gonna know that place intimately.

Just like we will.

Gozer

When SWAT clears a room they drop a glowstick in the doorway.
You could do the same using a bottle, or goblet, or candlestick.

No need to paint the arrows on the walls.

NachoDawg

When SWAT clears a room they drop a glowstick in the doorway.
You could do the same using a bottle, or goblet, or candlestick.

No need to paint the arrows on the walls.
I was gonna wait for a feature that allow corpses to draw blood on the ground, then draw on the floor with them... but that sounds easier :|

SyllaBear

Nah, its okay like this.
You can leave objects in the floor (like i do) to dont get lost. So yeah, stop asking for the game to be easier.

I was gonna wait for a feature that allow corpses to draw blood on the ground, then draw on the floor with them... but that sounds easier :|
I already leave corpses as arrows in the floor, pointing where i come.

---

This is suposed to be a survival game, stop asking for features that would make the game easy, seriously, stop it.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.