Functional Cloaks

Orisoll

If I had to choose one thing I hated most about Skyrim (or any elder scrolls game for that matter) it would be the fact that your character could never be effected by the weather, and seeing the commitment to semi-realism in Sui Generis I assume that staying out in the freezing rain for three hours will have some negative effect on your health. Now, I've already seen a cape in one of the gameplay videos, therefor I assume that cloaks will eventually be included, so what I'm asking is whether putting your hood up or wrapping your cloak around you (as opposed to having it drape off your back like a cape) will have any effect on how the weather effects you.

*Edit: This probably should have gone in the gameplay thread... oops. :)

Psychomorph

Insider
I agree. I ran up a snowy mountain in TES once, in undies. That was big immersion breaker. More immersion breaker is the fact that you cannot go and purchase clothing appropriate to weather anywhere, because this is not part of the game.

What I'd love to see in SG (and I believe I will) is to wear an armor chest plate on top of my regular clothes (leather pants and hemp shirt) and put a nicely thick fur cloak over my shoulders for very cold or arctic conditions.

Other implications could be in arctic areas, that if you have normal leather boots, your feet freeze and you move slightly slower, while wearing appropriate fur boots allows you to move 100%. Okay, moving slower may be a bad idea, but perhaps there can be other implications.

BrecMadak

Insider
Other implications could be in arctic areas, that if you have normal leather boots, your feet freeze and you move slightly slower, while wearing appropriate fur boots allows you to move 100%. Okay, moving slower may be a bad idea, but perhaps there can be other implications.
No, it is definitly not a bad idea ! Swampy areas should slow ya down as hell, and fights within those places should give you some penalties.

Also, character's movespeed is just too fast already, should be greatly toned down imo.

Jack Spicer

Weather and temperature having an effect on you and npcs would be pretty awesome. The cold and wet affecting your general speed if you're poorly equipped would be one way to implement that, although it would be interesting if you could accidentally get yourself killed by going into really cold area's without proper winter clothing.

666jet

Insider
win just so much win!!! i liked the way assassins creed slowed you down with snow but i thought it was abit to much sounds like things are going to be good

Mimel

Insider
I agree. Functionality is a must. I would also add inside pockets if possible. The ability to take off your cloak and hang it up would be nice, but I'm dreaming.

The idea that we could raise the cowl and hide our face is a good one. I also think wearing a different cloak with different clothes might help with a disguise.

BigT2themax

Insider
I suppose just being affected by the elements (read: weather) would be terrific in general. I like the idea of having to prepare thoroughly before setting off on a quest in order to survive (or, if you prefer, just grabbing some stuff and setting off, not worrying about what's ahead and just dealing with whatever comes up, and 'manning up' if it rains :p), by taking a look at the weather, seeing how long and far you have to travel, getting appropiate clothing, stuff like that. It'd probably also really help with immersion if you're affected by being to cold (or too hot! that could happen!).

scurra

Insider
It's actually pretty amazing how many possibilities open up with a dynamic season mechanic. The weather effects could also relate to the Thaumaturgy of the body. Such as fortifying your self against the cold by increasing your body's metabolism or increasing your reaction time. Weather would also be the most the most realistic limiter on your gear.(their is a reason hunters, swamp dwellers, and men in winter tried to avoid heavy/metal armor).

BigT2themax

Insider
Woah, I didn't even think about putting thaumaturgy into the equation. I'm gonna have to keep in mind it's not always going to be used for combat-related things, huh?

Pancakez54

Insider
Wouldn't an invisibility cloak/ring be abit OP? For instance: How am I gonna stop a big mea... Sorry wrong sentence! *In TES:Oblivion, I had armour and rings that would make my character completely invisible. Because of the pathetic AI I was never seen again in the game and got bored very fast. It was stupid that the devs even put the ability for the players to become completely invisible!

Anyway that's enough of that. How about some cake?

666jet

Insider
Wouldn't an invisibility cloak/ring be abit OP? For instance: How am I gonna stop a big mea... Sorry wrong sentence! *In TES:Oblivion, I had armour and rings that would make my character completely invisible. Because of the pathetic AI I was never seen again in the game and got bored very fast. It was stupid that the devs even put the ability for the players to become completely invisible!

Anyway that's enough of that. How about some cake?
if it made you 100% was it a mod?

Kaizer0002

Insider
No, I did the same thing. You could get 100% chameleon from enchanting your armor which meant you were invisible and no matter what enemies would not respond to you. I did that and had a touch spell that would 1 shot enemies and just bypassed everything that wasn't necessary. And yes, it was boring.

666jet

Insider
No, I did the same thing. You could get 100% chameleon from enchanting your armor which meant you were invisible and no matter what enemies would not respond to you. I did that and had a touch spell that would 1 shot enemies and just bypassed everything that wasn't necessary. And yes, it was boring.
yeah i remember doing that as well was having a derpy moment

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.