Development Update #2

BigT2themax

Insider
The way I understood it is that they draw a 2D global map with fine details and from there the system procedurally generates a representative 3D landscape. This is for the rough ground work of water edges, mountains, forests, ect...

From there they devs go in manually and add fine details and assets to the land.

So from my understanding it's a procedurally generated world based on predefined guidelines with manual details and assets added on top.
Dang, I took too long writing the post before this one, you posted before me. :p

Alright, I suppose you guys are probably right, they're most likely going to draw a 2D map by hand and make the island in a specific way. I was under the impression Bare Mettle were going to make an island generator or something so we could explore a new land each world instance. Probably due to how many times the words "procedurally generated" were said when they were talking about the beaches and terrain and such.

Aww, man... now I'm sad. :(

Komuflage

Insider
Dang, I took too long writing the post before this one, you posted before me. :p

Alright, I suppose you guys are probably right, they're most likely going to draw a 2D map by hand and make the island in a specific way. I was under the impression Bare Mettle were going to make an island generator or something so we could explore a new land each world instance. Probably due to how many times the words "procedurally generated" were said when they were talking about the beaches and terrain and such.

Aww, man... now I'm sad. :(
Poor little BigT2 :(
Well I'm happy at least, I much prefer a "handcrafted" world in these types of games, sure, it'll come to a point when you've explored everything, but it will most likely be a better experience to explore a beautiful world once, and then have a chance to appreciate the beautiful world for hours to come, rather than exploring a randomly generated world, that have to follow strict factors to not "fuck it up" so the world will most likely be all the same.

Again I take a Arpgs as an example, I bought torchlight 2 during Christmas, and the maps are randomly generated, but they all feel generic, and boring.

Madoc

Project Lead
The procedural methods are only there to do the bulk of the work for us. They will provide a highly detailed and natural looking base for us to work on top of. The 2D map gives us coast, rivers, terrain types etc. and generally allows us to design the terrain at scale that cannot be seen in 3D.

BigT2themax

Insider
Alright, well, thanks for the confirmation, Madoc.

Maybe I'll start learning programming so I can make a mod that generates a new island whenever I want.

You know what? I'll make my own game! With blackjack! And hookers!

Joking aside, at least I know what the situation is, now. I'm looking forward to seeing the island, I guess.

Can the terrain engine handle things like really steep cliffs or crevasses, huge mountains, canyons with caves in the canyon walls, waterfalls, flowing rivers, and other things like that? I mean, if it's going to be a handcrafted world, there should at least be some unique geographical features that a piece of boring terrain made by a computer wouldn't be able to make, right? That would be a really interesting island with lots of stuff to look at, in my opinion. :)

Also, will we be able to walk around every part of the island? As in, will any part of the island be blocked off, or will it all be traversable?

Xerxes

Insider
The procedural methods are only there to do the bulk of the work for us. They will provide a highly detailed and natural looking base for us to work on top of. The 2D map gives us coast, rivers, terrain types etc. and generally allows us to design the terrain at scale that cannot be seen in 3D.
So, my fine gentleman, are there going to be underground dungeons that can't be described in that 2d map? It seems all games have to have some sewer and catacomb levels nowadays.
I would also like to know if there will be some non-continuous maps in the game. Like a place full of ledges and cliffs, and you will fall to your death if not careful. fighting on roofs or ropes would be kinda cool, and extremely challenging. This kind of areas are nice changes of pace and should add some varieties to the game. However, death penalty due to drop may not be as severe.

rasdor

Insider
New here, hi. :eek:

Pretty damn excited for this project....has the potential to be the best RPG game ever I think.

On a side note, I saw on the homepage that a development video was released. Where can it be found? :eek:

EDIT: Whoa the smileys are weird on this forum..

New here, hi. :eek:

Pretty damn excited for this project....has the potential to be the best RPG game ever I think.

On a side note, I saw on the homepage that a development video was released. Where can it be found? :eek:

EDIT: Whoa the smileys are weird on this forum..

The development videos are for the ones who backed a certain amount during the kickstarter. You can still get the reward by choosing that certain tier that allows you to receive secret development update videos. It's the 30 pound tier I believe.

Also, welcome :D

Rehclip

Insider
Indeed... I just recently threw more money at Bare Mettle as well, so they gave me development update videos!

I always liked how The Elder Scrolls games made their maps. They were huge, so it already took a lot of time to simply explore it all. Then you had an endless amount of entrances to caves and buildings, etc. Its near impossible to explore it all (again, almost). And if you have the ability to modify that to add more instances.... even better!

grayscaler

Insider
keep it up guys this game is looking better and better with every update
i am so glad i found out about it and im looking forward to it no end

AW8

Supporter
Great update! Your enthusiasm for the dynamic storytelling is promising. It sounds so much more realistic than a simple fetch quest that waits patiently for the player, and where the only choice is whether you want a reward or karma points. I hope it turns out well and I can't wait to interact with it myself.

The Alchemy shop, the Temple exterior and the beach all look wonderful. The Alchemy shop looks so cozy I almost want a first person-mode just to fiddle around all Elder Scrolls-like. :D

The slotless inventory system looks rad. The customization possibilities seem very good with the different layers like undershirt, mail and "overshirt".

I can't wait for the video!

StevenU

Guys, i had just seen a very small clip of this game on a past gametrailers show called ' bonus round ' titled The Kickstarter Debacle dated 1/27/2013
i immediately paused and went directly to google with full intention on backing this! you can imagine how happy i was when seeing the demand was met.. now to await more of these gorgeous updates. a bit of advice ... advertise this game , allow people to get excited. had i not seen the 2 second flash of gameplay by a show which was aired in january.... i would not be writing this at this moment and would be absolutely clueless as to how fantastic the gameplay / animations and fine work you guys are doing. heck, if you need some extra funding for advertisements i'm sure many wouldn't hesitate. just a thought :)

Rehclip

Insider
Guys, i had just seen a very small clip of this game on a past gametrailers show called ' bonus round ' titled The Kickstarter Debacle dated 1/27/2013
i immediately paused and went directly to google with full intention on backing this! you can imagine how happy i was when seeing the demand was met.. now to await more of these gorgeous updates. a bit of advice ... advertise this game , allow people to get excited. had i not seen the 2 second flash of gameplay by a show which was aired in january.... i would not be writing this at this moment and would be absolutely clueless as to how fantastic the gameplay / animations and fine work you guys are doing. heck, if you need some extra funding for advertisements i'm sure many wouldn't hesitate. just a thought :)
Welcome! Glad to have you here! We're all definitely excited for this game... but I think Bare Mettle wants to save all funds right now for actual development. While they have some pretty fantastic stuff to show already, they don't want to spend money on advertising until they they have something more finalized.

llehsadam

Insider
Will the plot be built into the system? If there is a campaign creator or some way to construct your own plots (sort of like for Witcher 2), would it be easy to change the underlying plot of the game?

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.