Second Kickstarter

William Rose

Insider
Just curious since a couple Studios have attempted this, but would BM consider running a second kickstarter to enhance their funds, since the 160 thousand you guys raised seem like a tough budget for how much awesome you are producing?

Tom

Insider
The team set a funding goal and they're going to stick with it. While it's impossible to tell what the future holds, they have a budget and I trust them with it.

Unlike a certain project in which, after raising 3 million (more than twice the basic goal), the developed declared that, oh hey, they needed 400k MORE.

Seriously.

Halvidore

Insider
The team set a funding goal and they're going to stick with it. While it's impossible to tell what the future holds, they have a budget and I trust them with it.

Unlike a certain project in which, after raising 3 million (more than twice the basic goal), the developed declared that, oh hey, they needed 400k MORE.

Seriously.
I'm just glad I didn't back that game... Wouldn't have been that hard too, just a 2D point and click game...

Anyway... You are right about the Bare Mettle team, I don't see them taking us on a ride. I'm happy with my judgment to back SG. :D

ZaratanCho

Insider
This has crossed my mind too. Maybe if it is needed and in the future when there is more to show. Even after release if they run out of money. We will see how successful the game will be on release, how much will it sell. With a little publicity near the end i think it will do pretty good. Hopefully more than good.

I was going to donate a few days ago, but the bank was closed, it was terrible. I will be making a second attempt in a few hours. ;D

Scarecrow

Insider
I don't think a second Kickstarter would be necessary nor ideal. There are other ways to raise the fundings of the game. Through the steam Greenlight thingy, steam Early Access, and one can still fund through PayPal. When the game has been more developed, and is starting to take on it's true form, it allows for better marketing and PR as well to bring attention to this awesomeness of a game.

Reactions: Tom

Tom

Insider
I don't think a second Kickstarter would be necessary nor ideal. There are other ways to raise the fundings of the game. Through the steam Greenlight thingy, steam Early Access, and one can still fund through PayPal. When the game has been more developed, and is starting to take on it's true form, it allows for better marketing and PR as well to bring attention to this awesomeness of a game.

I agree with all of that except Steam Greenlight - if Bare Mettle used that (which would mean selling through Steam), then Steam would take part of the profits. I don't think that they want to go that way, what with the profit sharing, but I could be wrong; maybe the minor loss of profit is worth it in exchange of the inevitable publicity and awareness of the game.

William Rose

Insider
It's just that their goals seem so grandiose that I can't seem to worry that the small amount that we managed to raise during kickstarter will not be enough...

Fawz

Insider
A second Kickstarter would hurt more then help. The only way I can see it working out is if it's introduced as a different module (ie: Add MMO features) which would only detract from the original goal.

There is currently a contribution page set-up that is quite functional and offers a good variety of rewards for backing Sui Generis. Many people have contributed directly via the website. It will probably keep generating more money that way at a slow rate until the game comes closer to completion and more people hear about it.

There are other more reasonable alternative like using another funding website but even that would feel underhanded a little bit. However something along the lines of Steam pre-alpha purchase would give the game some much needed exposure.

In the end Bare Mettle has managed to get the funds they said they needed to make the a core Sui Generis experience. They have stated that they plan to have continuous support and use income garnered from further funding and sales to expand on the game. So I really don't think there's anything to worry about.

Kale

Insider

Seriously.
Surely, you meant this....

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/doublefine/double-fine-adventure

More than twice is putting it mildly. They got nearly 10 ten times their goal. A bit past 8, to be closer.
I'm just glad I didn't back that game... Wouldn't have been that hard too, just a 2D point and click game...

Anyway... You are right about the Bare Mettle team, I don't see them taking us on a ride. I'm happy with my judgment to back SG. :D
As for it being easy to make, I dunno. Just because it's a point and click doesn't really mean it'll be easy to make. Content is where most money goes into, I think. And if it has a lot of that, I can see it. Just can't see how they spent so much more than they originally anticipated.

Forgot why I replied originally... I agree that a second kickstarter would hurt more than help. It'll make people think that they, like other studios .. mentioned... were out of their depth and that leaves a bad taste in people's mouths.

Rob

A second Kickstarter would hurt more then help. The only way I can see it working out is if it's introduced as a different module (ie: Add MMO features) which would only detract from the original goal.
I agree. I'd personally have no problem with a second (kickstarter) campaign, but it would have to be very different to the first one. You can't have two kickstarter campaigns for the same thing, as successfully funding the first campaign should mean that all intentions for the project can be fulfilled. If BM were to run a second campaign, then it would have to be for something quite different. As Fawz says, MMO features is one option. Another option would be an expansion, but of course that would be a bit premature at this point.

Certainly, if there is to be another push, it shouldn't be yet. It should be once Sui Generis is much further down the line, otherwise the pitch video would be incredibly similar to the first one. Sure, it would be better technically, but it would still be focusing on the technical side, which is not what would be required for a future pitch video. Once the game is much more developed (in terms of story, characters, gameplay, mechanics) then it may be possible to produce a more gripping "hollywood-style" trailer that focuses on the RPG aspects, which would help to draw in the masses. However, it would be foolish to attempt to produce such a trailer prematurely, given BM's current resources.

One easy option is just to keep the campaign running - i.e. allow people to continue to pledge. Whilst that option is available at the moment, it is rather hidden. Making the usual things a bit more visible - current total, stretch goals (if any), etc. - would improve transparency and may help to boost sales. Certainly, BM should keep thinking about whether there may be any stretch goals that could be added. If they get £x then they can add this, if they get £y then they can add that, etc. etc. - purely from an objective/practical point of view.

The other thing that could be thought about, although may be against BM's philosophy, would be to go down the route of getting people to pay for in-game things (look at Star Citizen, which just raised an extra $4million in 2 weeks by having a sales push spearheaded by a promo offer on one of their ships...). Of course, this may be controversial, especially if not done right. Certainly, it should never be pay-to-win, and you shouldn't be able to pay for anything important that couldn't be achieved in-game with enough effort (which incidentally I believe is also Star Citizen's take on it). Paying for small unimportant (potentially limited edition) things has been done by games like Path of Exile, which allows you to buy incidental aesthetic items, ability to have pets, etc. Not sure whether anything like that could transfer to Sui Generis. As I said before, BM have always been against paying for in-game items, so this sort of thing may be off-limits. Who knows. Perhaps a poll could be done to get an idea about backer opinion...

That said, I suppose we're just speculating - BM haven't exactly complained about the amount of funding they've got, so really we should wait for them to pitch ideas about future funding strategies and then we can give feedback.

Komuflage

Insider
Just can't see how they spent so much more than they originally anticipated.
This is just speculations, but I think, that originally they had plans for quite a small game, but once they received so much money, they went over their head and expanded the project to a size that even the extra funds couldn't hold.
In one way it was good, most companies would have just taken the extra money as pocket money, while these guys actually spent it on further enchanting the game, even if they went a bit overkill and it backfired on them.

Kale

Insider
I see what you're saying. But the only sensible thing is do what you planned to do, then add on to it. What really gets me, is they actually set up a second kickstarter, for another game while being unable to do their first. Seems incredibly shady. I can see the whole argument that no company can simply just do one game or whatever, or else they'd fall apart, but to basically "fail" (Not that that's a definite yet) and say we'll work on another game!

Maybe I'm just cynical. But that just don't fly with me.

speculum

Insider
Another reason not to have one is that KS demands a 5% cut while pure donations through the page on this site only have to have 2.9% cut (for Paypal). That's a pretty big deal when you're talking six figures.

(By the way, hi!)

HI speculum, you make a very good point there - a second kickstarter would be pointless as once there is more to see more people back. With kickstarter, they have to produce publicity else it will fail and they have to force people to back within a certain window instead of when they're ready. I imagine that sui generis backings will sky rocket when the alpha is released so I don't think losing 2.1% on all that new interest would be a great idea.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.