On Schedule...

Rev

Insider
Just a quick one word answer will suffice to save your valuable time... Are we on schedule for the Feb prelude? Because this is one disappointment I cannot take in my life...

Parco

there are no rules as far as i know about who can post here, but since its an announcement forum i guess as long as its announcing something related to baremettle/sui generis (and it is relevant) then it should be ok.

would be nice to know indeed if they are on schedule, but dont be disappointed if they have to release it in march, they got a tight schedule so if any problems turns up (sickness, bugs, power blackouts, etc,..) they will either have to release the prelude without some of the features that they wanted to have ready or postpone it again.

Scarecrow

Insider
I've never seen any rules against posting in announcements either, but i just figured only devs are allowed to post here?

At any rate, you should brace yourself for a possible small delay for the alpha prelude. There are numerous factors that can cause a delay, and it's often something they can't control. They are working very hard tho, and if it is on schedule for February release, then don't expect it until the end of the month.

BigT2themax

Insider
Yeah, seems like it'd be a good idea to make this subforum have a rule where only the Bare Mettle team can start a new topic. I also thought this was an announcement from the dev team regarding the prelude alpha, so yeah, it might get confusing if everyone posts here.

Rob

I agree.

In the meantime, I'll move this thread to the General Discussion forum.

Fawz

Insider
The only news we got in regards to BM making the Feb deadline for the Prelude is that they expect it to be very tight. They're working hard on the prelude and will use all the extra time they can (so expect it to come out on the week of the 28th at the earliest).

I'm personally fully expecting it to be available in the beginning of March and to have download, server and crash issues. That's just how alphas tend to go (especially Alphas of a prelude)

Komuflage

Insider
I'm personally fully expecting it to be available in the beginning of March and to have download, server and crash issues. That's just how alphas tend to go (especially Alphas of a prelude)
Inb4, "omg game is crashing/freezing, (random cursing) Moneyz back naow!!1!" :(

Maybe we should add a subforum for whining once the alpha is released, that way we don't have to see so many ****** complaining :D

Empire²

Insider
Inb4, "omg game is crashing/freezing, (random cursing) Moneyz back naow!!1!" :(

Maybe we should add a subforum for whining once the alpha is released, that way we don't have to see so many ****** complaining :D
No need to get all vulgar now :p

I can guarantee you that there will be more than a handful of people with a post count of 1 on day of launch, and that single post being nothing more than inane drivel about how they deserve a full refund and a personal apology from Bare Mettle through national television for how a non-recurring graphical glitch has given them a lifelong trauma.

Who honestly expects it will be completely bug-free and without issues when it launches? To ask that of an alpha developed by an independent developer is a bit self-entitled. I would say seeing those bugs getting fixed is a perfect way of gauging the amount and manner of development on SG, allowing us to have a better understanding of the time-frame we should be expecting for the full release.

Parco

im also looking forward to the bug hunting season, crashes and freezes are mostly never fun to get, but physical bugs and graphical glitches might be hilarious and if caught on video you might sooner or later become famous on youtube :p

lvk

Insider
I'm honestly hoping for alpha bugs that send my body flying off into space or maybe ones that will fuse my body with objects in the environment. Who said alpha bugs have to be all doom and gloom.
Madoc mentioned he recently updated the collision/physics engine up to a point where a ladder can believably collide with tree branches. Getting the physics to break to the point of Garry's Mod might prove more difficult than the term alpha lets on.

(edit) Here's the full post from the Details of Physics Engine post, quoted for your convenience in case anyone missed it:
This is something that has been asked before in a game development forum during the Kickstarter campaign and I declined to reveal it before the game's release. The basic idea behind the method is ultimately quite simple but there's some good optimisations involved to make it fast. One of the more notable aspects of the whole thing is how stable and fluid it all is, you don't really get the violent shaking you often see in real time physics when dealing with difficult collisions.

I've actually done a huge amount of work on the physics / collisions during these months. I've made them stable even in extreme cases (e.g. applying strong forces to a ladder entangled in tree branches) and I've improved accuracy and performance but most importantly I've completely overhauled collision detection to properly account for fast motion. The system now actually tests the paths of entire objects through space against eachother. No matter how small or thin shapes are and how fast they are moving they can't miss eachother and the earliest time/place of collision is detected. The previous system was accurate enough for most things but couldn't always deal with say a small light object being propelled at high speed from a force blast.

It's one of those things that can be quite time consuming to do, makes the physics solid and reliable which is great but most poeple will never be aware of it. I'm sure some people will get it and appreciate it but most won't notice or care and showing it in a compelling way would be difficult.

Rushakoff

Insider
I'm extremely excited about every physics related aspect of this game. It is really the thing that drew me to the game in the first place. If the physics are as good as Madoc has described then the pro is of course very nice detailed physics, the con is I will have to find more creative ways to kick my character through a chair. Sui Generis must fear the unstoppable Man-chair warrior.

Rob

the con is I will have to find more creative ways to kick my character through a chair. Sui Generis must fear the unstoppable Man-chair warrior.
On a related note, I believe the possibility of dismemberment has been previously discussed - with sufficient impact, you might be able to cleave your character in two using a chair, perhaps using ballistae...? If that appeals, that is.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.