New PC build

Tony

Insider
My brother decided it was time to upgrade his PC internals so we ended up replacing everything a few days ago. Here are a few pictures of how it turned out (note: it isn't a crack in the glass, it's a reflection of the speaker wire going up the wall :p):

The PC is insanely fast! We got the hexa-core processor overclocked to 4.5 ghz and the two SSD drives in RAID 0 benchmarked over 1000 MB/sec read speed! And both the PC desk and the PC end table/case were custom built by us :)

Tony

Insider
i see you have a gtx 770 how well does this setup run sui generis?
He has not tested Sui Generis yet. He is not a backer for the game. However, since I bought the physical collector's edition I will get two copies of the game on release so he is covered in that department.

He has tested Battlefield 4 and he can run the game on ultra settings no problem. Also, the 770 GTX performs about the same as my 680 GTX so I'd imagine he'd be getting the same 110-140 FPS that I get in Sui Generis. Though I always play with Vsync enabled so I'm limited to 60 FPS.

turtleman155

Insider
i know but it doesnt go above 60 on full settings though i play with supersampling on medium so i get 100 + fps anyway because for some unexplained reason high supersampling gives me screen tearing on 60 fps but 100 + fps doesnt.

Mello

Insider
I'm about to put together a somewhat less impressive PC, shame I'm not building my own case

Tony

Insider
i know but it doesnt go above 60 on full settings though i play with supersampling on medium so i get 100 + fps anyway because for some unexplained reason high supersampling gives me screen tearing on 60 fps but 100 + fps doesnt.
Why not simply enable Vsync? Then you'll not get any tearing at all. When I disabled Vsync I noticed horrible tearing at any frame rate.

Madoc

Project Lead
Very nice computer :). Hard to get a nice case, that's a great solution if you've got the workshop and skills. Don't suppose you make them on commission? :D

The tearing (probably more like juddering) you're seeing @ 60 hz is because you're hovering on the edge of your refresh rate, this is the worst possible case for synching. The game should look good even without vsync at any frame rate that isn't very close to 60.

Fawz

Insider
That's a really sweet looking set-up, good job!
I make tables from discarded wood sometimes, but I'm nowhere near that good.

Tony

Insider
Very nice computer :). Hard to get a nice case, that's a great solution if you've got the workshop and skills. Don't suppose you make them on commission? :D

The tearing (probably more like juddering) you're seeing @ 60 hz is because you're hovering on the edge of your refresh rate, this is the worst possible case for synching. The game should look good even without vsync at any frame rate that isn't very close to 60.
@Madoc Ah, you'd like some custom Sui Generis or Bare Mettle cases made? I could use a wood burner to write words or a logo on a case. And the case functions quite well. There is a 200 mm fan on the front for air intake, a 140 mm and a 120 mm fan on the CPU heatsink and then another 140 mm exhaust fan on the back that sucks out hot air from the CPU and the case. Even at full load the temps inside the case never get above 35* C. We also used low RPM fans that are nearly silent so with the lid on the noise is barely audible.

What I noticed in SG with Vsync disabled is that at higher FPS (100+) it's less of an actual screen tear and more of a screen shimmer. It almost looks like a heat wave or something. I can get a video of it if you'd like to see what I'm talking about.

@Mello it looks like you barely managed to fit everything inside that case! Is it a micro ATX sized case? And what are your case temps? It appears that your cable spaghetti might be limiting air flow. Regardless, congrats on the new PC! :)

Crayfish

Insider
@Mello it looks like you barely managed to fit everything inside that case! Is it a micro ATX sized case? And what are your case temps? It appears that your cable spaghetti might be limiting air flow. Regardless, congrats on the new PC! :)
I had the same cable jam when I had a MicroATX case, the airflow was terrible. The problem is that all the components come with cables designed for ATX cases do to get decent cabling in a small case means buying new cables, carefully selected to be the correct length. Bad airflow will mean the fans have to work much harder to keep things cool and so a MicroATX box in my experience will be a lot noisier than a similarly specified full ATX machine. I've now given up trying to create a physically inconspicuous PC (although your brother's solution is great for that!) in favour of having an audibly inconspicuous one.

Mello

Insider
It's a miniITX case, but it can hold a fullsize ATX PSU. I should have got a modular one, and will probably make that switch in the future, as it's the stray PSU cables that are causing the clutter. Honestly the case is pretty well designed, since the PSU, GPU and CPU all vent their hot air directly out of the case and so far the temps are pretty good (gonna turn everything up to 11 and do a proper test soon enough). It stays quiet too.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/MilesMello/saved/47pi

Tony

Insider
so i now run the combat alpha all the time with vsync enable any way to reduce the mouse slowdown/lag?
Input lag with vsync enabled occurs when you are getting less FPS than your monitors refresh rate (for most people this is 60). There is a setting in the Nvidia control panel called "triple buffering" which is supposed to help performance when you have vsync enabled. You can try enabling this to see if it helps any.

There is also a setting in the Nvidia control panel called "maximum pre-rendered frames" and if you set this to a smaller number it will sometimes help with input lag. For example, if it is currently set to "3" try changing it to 2, 1, or 0 and then click apply and test the game out.

turtleman155

Insider
thanks for the tips will try them :D
Edit: the triple buffering gives me like 3 fps and the input lag stubbornly stays around

Last edited:

Avramovic

Supporter
Holy Mother of Luxury... dat wood, dat CPU cooler.
be back soon, got to get a rag to wipe this drool off my poor cheap 5$ keyboard

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.