Steam/Greenlight

SHould Sui Generis start its greenlight campaign

• Total voters

turtleman155

Insider
i believe it would be best to go for greenlight on steam now as the service is currently slated to be shut down in the future sometime so getting it in advance now would help to secure this great games place on steam im just hoping this becomes popular so that the devs can fully flesh out this game to create a hugely diverse and fun experience post-launch :D (though if they dont have the time im sure they could negotiate with steam to take in this game)

Tessaya

Insider
Maybe once there is a prelude in alpha/beta and at least some more things to do than just fighting ? Even if it's a lot of fun right now the general public may perceive SG wrongly as a fighting game.

turtleman155

Insider
its on the concepts page i was aware of this but to actually be accepted to go on steam you need to be on the greenlight games tab :D

Last edited:

Fawz

Insider
Nice to hear plans are in place to have the game get on Steam Greenlight as soon as it can so that it can be approved in time for when the game is ready for early access.

Tom

Insider
Yeah, the current Greenlight is for concept only, to get the game greenlit we have to submit a build to Steam. We're planning on doing this as soon as we've got a more complete game to show, an early version of the prelude basically.
As much as I would love this gig to go "official", please carefully consider the consequences of this. I'm saying this for two big reasons:

1 - Back in the day, when the very first pre-alpha videos were shown, a lot of people got the wrong impression about the game. Even though we've come a LONG way from that, releasing it into Steam might be the equivalent of what it was releasing it into Kickstarter.

2 - Early access games have become a trend, and I hope I'm not the only one who is starting to get sick of them. Whatever happened to game comes out, you play? Why the obsession with roping in people before it even has a demo-worthy build?

It works with some games, like Starbound, since they are sandbox-style gigs, but I just can't fathom other traditional games (especially rpgs!) doing the same successfully.

I believe that releasing anything before the official prelude would be detrimental to the game. Instead of waiting to release it once it's almost complete, we'd be giving a bad first impression.

Tony

Insider
As much as I would love this gig to go "official", please carefully consider the consequences of this. I'm saying this for two big reasons:

1 - Back in the day, when the very first pre-alpha videos were shown, a lot of people got the wrong impression about the game. Even though we've come a LONG way from that, releasing it into Steam might be the equivalent of what it was releasing it into Kickstarter.

2 - Early access games have become a trend, and I hope I'm not the only one who is starting to get sick of them. Whatever happened to game comes out, you play? Why the obsession with roping in people before it even has a demo-worthy build?

It works with some games, like Starbound, since they are sandbox-style gigs, but I just can't fathom other traditional games (especially rpgs!) doing the same successfully.

I believe that releasing anything before the official prelude would be detrimental to the game. Instead of waiting to release it once it's almost complete, we'd be giving a bad first impression.
You make good points. I agree that before any general public releases happen Sui Generis should have enough content and gameplay mechanics added that people get a clear picture about what SG is all about. However, if they have the prelude in a complete enough state to accurately portray what SG is all about then I think releasing it on Steam Greenlight could help the devs greatly by raising awareness of the game. Currently, not many people are even aware that SG exists and many that do know about it have no idea that SG is supposed to be a full-fledged RPG and instead think of it as a combat simulator.

Also, I'm sure the devs will be getting short on funds soon. Their original goal was to have Sui Generis released in May so I'm assuming that is how much funding they planned for. If releasing the prelude on Steam will generate enough funding to allow the devs to keep working on the full game that would be great.

As far as pre-releasing SG goes I think it will work just fine. The game is a sandbox RPG and not the typical linear "go here, complete quest, continue on to next quest to progress story" type of game. I don't think SG will qualify as a "traditional RPG" since they are "reinventing the wheel" as Madoc once said.

Empire²

Insider
As sure as I am of Sui Generis getting through, I wouldn't wish it upon anyone to have to sift through the fire and brimstone of Steam Greenlight to actually stumble upon it.

A big reason why people want Greenlight taken down has to do with the overall quality of the games going for a spot on the Steam Store. Now that Steam, against all user complaints, refuses to enforce quality control on what enters the store, many people see this as a way to get their 4-hours-of-work Game Maker project on Steam through Greenlight. With a big variety in acceptable styles and the success of games with simplistic mechanics and art, a lot of things get on Steam that I feel should be available to play for free on Newgrounds. About 50% of the games you can find on there now are put on as a joke, and a poor one at that. Some people do it as a big thumbs down towards the current state of Steam, others purely to spite people who genuinely made a game.

Every once in a while, I go through the queue I've built up just trying to find hidden gems, and I'll tell you, they're hard to find.

If Sui Generis goes on Greenlight, I wish BM all the best to get through it. I, however, hold a fear that many people will miss out on it purely because it went through Greenlight.

Tom

Insider
As sure as I am of Sui Generis getting through, I wouldn't wish it upon anyone to have to sift through the fire and brimstone of Steam Greenlight to actually stumble upon it.
You speak the truth, here: Steam Greenlight is a double-edged blade.

Which is why putting it through that, and then Early Access, should be done with extreme care (like I wrote on my earlier post). Otherwise, it will backfire.

Badly.

Another concern is the majority of comments on greenlight, those I have personally seen look at the very early access as a finished product declaring (sometimes very loudly) the failings of a game based on those expected bugs that come up during development before a game is finalized. While bad press is better than no press, I personally feel delivery of as bug free a demo as possible is best. The current combat alpha is relatively bug resistant and as such is a relatively good example of the level of cleaning that I personally would feel comfortable sharing with the public. I am just a mod author though not a game developer I am certain I am missing a larger scope of the complications with doing this.

~Xalbrus aka Deapri

Reactions: Tom

Yngvald

Insider
So we would have to assume that every person that purchases (a copy = subscription) of Sui Generis on Steam would also recieve a separate key to their DRM-free copy of the game?

lvk

Insider
So we would have to assume that every person that purchases (a copy = subscription) of Sui Generis on Steam would also recieve a separate key to their DRM-free copy of the game?
There's no keys for the DRM-free version, you get those directly from the Account page (if backed at an appropriate tier). I imagine if the game got released on Steam, that's also where you'd find your Steam key, but I don't know if SG has any distribution channels other than their own domain yet.

Yngvald

Insider
There's no keys for the DRM-free version, you get those directly from the Account page (if backed at an appropriate tier). I imagine if the game got released on Steam, that's also where you'd find your Steam key, but I don't know if SG has any distribution channels other than their own domain yet.
You raise a valid point, but I was speaking more of key in a broader sense of access to what can be seen in the account page seen here. Since we are in fact discussing a 2nd party distribution channel which happens to be DRM-locked, what I'm asking for is how the game conceivable would be DRM-free for those purchasing SG on Steam in the future.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.