Dungeons & Dragons

Cooper Holt

Insider
I recently got in to Dungeons & Dragons with a lot of my friends. We haven't even had a real campaign yet, but I (the DM) already have one made. It's just coordinating when every can be at this time on this day, yadda yadda yadda.
So what about you guys? Is there anyone else on these forums that plays or has played D&D? If so, do you have any tips for newcomers?
Thanks,
-Cooper

lvk

Insider
I've attempted to, but people always managed to find a way out. Since you've already plotted out your campaign, it's probably pointless advice for you personally, but since this is a D&D thread there are some common pitfalls newcomers might find hard to avoid - I know I did.

1. It doesn't really matter if you pick 3.5 or 4e, as long as you end up playing the game. Like with vi and emacs, people will find good and bad sides about either. There's no best version, don't spend too much time on it.
2. If you just want to try the game out, there's freely available campaigns everywhere. Some are even official.
3. If you can't remember all the rules for specific situations, that's alright - D&D is designed with house-ruling in mind, so the Dungeon Master can make something up on the spot he or she sees fit, as is their authority. You can look up the actual rules later on, the important part is to keep the game going.
4. If you have a bunch of friends but they're living all over the place, Maptool is an excellent framework for tabletop RPGs, although there's a fair learning curve. It's not the same as having friends around a table, but it does work.

Some more practical advice for you as a DM, even though it's hinted at or even straight-up written in the rulebooks, I found it important enough to take these out separately.

5. I find this the most important one - remember at all times that D&D is a collaborative storytelling effort. A common first-time DM mistake is to plot out everything and leave too little room for the players' own additions to the story. Your players might want to do something else than you intended entirely, and that's okay! Make sure you offer sufficient room for them to tell a story as well, and don't control the characters' actions too much, either directly or by hinting at what they should be doing. Describing scenarios works better than being the narrator to an ultimately linear story.

6. Prepare a bunch of throwaway dungeon maps. As mentioned in 5, your players will do unexpected things. If you have a few - say, three to five - simple dungeon or cave maps handy, not only will you be able to let your players head out of town, but you can give them cool stuff to explore. This makes for a more polished and enjoyable experience. If you're really going all out you can work on some lore that you can fit into more than one situation, like specific wall paintings or artifacts that you could put anywhere, but tie in with the main story so it doesn't end up feeling cheap or disconnected.

7. Props are great! If you have the benefit of a real life setting, you can prepare some maps to hand out to players, or fake wanted posters, or magical artifacts (cheap spheres made of coloured glass or plastic). This has the added benefit of encouraging players to interact with them in the game more often, and helps visualize the experience.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Best of luck in your games!

Scarecrow

Insider
I've personally never been into D&D myself, and I kind of grew up with SNES & N64, so never got around to do it. However together with my brothers, we have done some rpg's through talking and drawing while on vacation, with no access to games. What I would advice is to not take it too seriously. Ultimately it is supposed to be an enjoyable experience, and one shouldn't get too serious about it. Its not enjoyable when someone gets annoyed, or mad. Throwing humor into the story, quests or events is also great and with that we always ended up having a good time with it, even when we lost something of value, died etc. Personally, I think its one of the most important factors.

Naturally, whether or not you should include humor, or how serious the setting should be will wary with the participants' opinion. That is just my personal opinion and advice. Don't really know much about D&D, so what im saying might not even make much sense. What Ivk said looks good, and he seems to know what he's talking about. I would definitely take what he said into consideration.

Fawz

Insider
Played through a couple of DnD campaigns with friends and family. Tried both 4the and 5the, both having their own strengths. Lost interest lately as the IP wasn't doing it for me anymore (generic Fantasy peaked long ago IMO) but the pen-and-paper concept is very fun.

Overall DnD is pretty cool if you get along with the people you're with, it's way more about the players then it is about the mechanics. It's a lot more about having a good time with friends and going through events than it is about playing through game mechanics. Don't fret too much about every fine detail and rules, and be really careful about min maxing players. For your first campaign I'd really recommend trying a premade adventure as otherwise you'll feel really swamped and have a hard time with pacing and balance.

As a DM I would say the best thing you can do is remember you're there to make the player's time more enjoyable. Some people say you have to torment the players and challenge them as much as possible, but I find it usually doesn't make for a good time (though they do end up banding together against the DM). The whole point of playing a pen-and-paper game is to have a DM there to dynamically steer the adventure to better suit the player's needs. If you're too rigid and stick to your original game plan no matter what, you might as well play a video game. Look to promote player creativity as much as possible without making it feel like every one of their answers to a problem is a solution.

Having a nice physical set-up is also pretty important as visual aids go a long way. Best thing I found is to use a large grided plastic mat which you draw on with dry erase markers. Players should have miniatures of their characters (can even be legos) to make them care about their characters. For enemies if you can a good thing to do is print out some artwork and stick them to something like a small round wooden peg as a base.

Oh and last of all I'd really recommend having as much structure as possible to get people into the right habit. Stuff like starting sessions with an intro recap, or having summaries of what happened after fights.

There's all sorts of small intricacies to playing DnD, and every group and DM does things differently. Always remember to have fun as a group!

Empire²

Insider
Always remember to have fun as a group!
Unfortunately, "fun" and D&D don't go too well together amongst my friends, so my group basically consists of me.

The only way for me to get my friends to play D&D would be to turn it into a drinking game.

I never really understood D&D when I was younger, seeing how it never really got too big in the non-English speaking parts of Europe. I watched the Yogscast (don't judge me) play a session some time ago and it looked quite enjoyable, and after seeing some more people play D&D or similar games, I wouldn't mind playing a game myself. Guess I'll have to play one of those online versions with some people, which tend to be a lot less enjoyable.

lvk

Insider
Unfortunately, "fun" and D&D don't go too well together amongst my friends, so my group basically consists of me.

The only way for me to get my friends to play D&D would be to turn it into a drinking game.
You can always combine the two. Play a single-player campaign alongside a bottle of your favourite liquor (possibly two), and take a drink every time you get hit with a deep-seated feeling of loneliness and regret. This is a more existential and depressing version of just straight up drinking the whole bottle within the hour.

Or try the online version. Who knows, maybe we can throw together a party of interested SG forum members? That could be fun.

Empire²

Insider
Play a single-player campaign alongside a bottle of your favourite liquor (possibly two), and take a drink every time you get hit with a deep-seated feeling of loneliness and regret.
Ah, you're talking about my favourite campaign, Alcoholism!

Who knows, maybe we can throw together a party of interested SG forum members? That could be fun.
I'd totally be up for that! Perhaps we could make a thread for it at some point.

All I wanna say is as a DM, give your players a sandbox and make them work for their oh so precious equipment.

Don't try to forceguide the PC's through your prepped campaign. Besides that, have fun!

Komuflage

Insider
Sorry for going Way of topic, but this "You can always combine the two. Play a single-player campaign alongside a bottle of your favourite liquor (possibly two), and take a drink every time you get hit with a deep-seated feeling of loneliness and regret. This is a more existential and depressing version of just straight up drinking the whole bottle within the hour." Is possible the most hilarious thing I've read on this forum. I can't stop laughing at how depressing it sounds! :D

Cooper Holt

Insider

I never really understood D&D when I was younger, seeing how it never really got too big in the non-English speaking parts of Europe. I watched the Yogscast (don't judge me) play a session some time ago and it looked quite enjoyable, and after seeing some more people play D&D or similar games, I wouldn't mind playing a game myself. Guess I'll have to play one of those online versions with some people, which tend to be a lot less enjoyable.
There was actually a Kickstarter (or some sort of group-funded project) for a D&D-style tabletop RPG that was a drinking game recently, if I remember correctly. It looked pretty good, but I prefer tea.

lvk

Insider
There was actually a Kickstarter (or some sort of group-funded project) for a D&D-style tabletop RPG that was a drinking game recently, if I remember correctly. It looked pretty good, but I prefer tea.
Peasants! As D&D was made for houseruling, there's nobody to tell you you can't take a drink every time a player brings up a dead family member in his or her character's lore (they will).

Empire²

Insider
To be honest, even regular alcohol wouldn't cut it. For every hit point lost, you have to down a mug of ale. Of course, one of your female friends has to be acting as the tavern wench.

Cymodai

Insider
I still play 2nd edition once in a while, after 3rd edition washed all that was special with a common monster book and tried to sell new content books almost twice a month never got interested beyond it. Did some DM side too, its hard work but very rewarding.

I have no idea what edition I played, but, being kids without a very big allowance, it was probably the 2nd edition. However I loved it when I was a kid! Not so sure I could get into these days, but I'm sure with the right people , or at least anyone who isn't immature or powergaming, it could be supah cool! Anyhow, send me a tell if you're still expanding your party! I think I might just like to give this a go! :D

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.