Put in a saving function ASAP

Battery

Insider
It's really frustrating to get in Exanima, gather equipment and such, only to get killed and making you go through the motions all over again. I know the game is unfinished and you're working on updates, but I hope this has priority with the developers.

Parco

there will be a check point later in the game when more content is added so you can continue from there if you die, but thats the only one thats planned as far as i know. i highly doubt there will be other save function other than that and whats already implemented, the save when exit and continue.

burgzaza

Insider
some checkpoints, why not when the Underworld become really huge, but a fast save/load system killed the challenge of so many games, in my opinion.
Exanima has a real challenge, and that's to survive, it is hard, that's also why it's so exiting and rewarding when you play it well.
It's hard to get into, and the Arena mode can help you to get used to the combat, you'll fight mutch harder enemies than the undeads there.

But it will never become an easy game.
BM wants to add a better tutorial, so it should help new players.

Ruusunpuna

Insider
I think i heard that the skill system is rather permanent so if you die you don't have to start at 0. If that in fact is the case then it should help.

Murf

Even if they do just a checkpoint system, there has to be something. If I get killed after playing for an hour, the motivation to play again isn't very high.
There will be a checkpoint that saves at the end of the third level.

I think i heard that the skill system is rather permanent so if you die you don't have to start at 0. If that in fact is the case then it should help.
That's correct, some of the skills you will be earning will be global skills that you are will be able to use at each new game/character creation.

1hr is not a long time, and if you die in the first area after one hour it is pointless to start from 10mins ago, I would rather start again. Plus the game is not that difficult you are simply used to being able to run through most games like a god, insta saving before any fight or just a checkpoint 5mins away. I played 3 run-through yesterday, the first I died fast cuz i was playing sloppily due to overconfidence, the second I got further and died due to being cornered by 2 enemies and I didn't have my shield out. And the 3rd I am still alive and at the end of the 2nd area, after I decided to concentrate properly. I have escaped a fight where I got ganged up by 4,i killed 1 and made a run for it, then after a while I came back and dealt with them 1v1 or 1v2.i am alive with full health and have used just the 1 health potion. The game seems really difficult and random, but the more u understand and use the system well the better and more confident you become. I walk past ghouls after letting them smell me and accept me :p

I had a funny moment when a ghoul blocked me in a room and we stood staring at each other for about 10secs,when I decided to slide past her I, stepped on a pipe that made noise and instantly she reacted with a hammer. It was so immersivly fun.

Last edited:

burgzaza

Insider
I'm a quicksave/load abuser. Truly am. In Fallout I quickload if I spend too mutch bullets. I never really lost a single battle in Total War. I reload a save if I used too mutch spells or lost health in Pillars of Eternity....
I really enjoyed these games, but I'm too weak/lazy to choose the Iron Man difficulty when it's available.

That's why I love Faster than Light. with epic moments like charging the jump drive with 1 hp left during a battle, just hoping to find a store were to repair. Dark Souls, when you're lost with no more potions, and you find a bonefire... And Exanima, where the tension is real and you have to fight like a lion or flee a combat because you simply don't want to die, witch leads to some awesome moments.
People are asking for "options". I just know I'd be playing the save mode. And I would abuse it eventualy.

Of course I'm pretty sure it's not the case for everyone.

But Imo, a checkpoint ( at the Portal I assume ? ) would be enough of a save, I'd be really happy with that.

I'm a quicksave/load abuser. Truly am. In Fallout I quickload if I spend too mutch bullets. I never really lost a single battle in Total War. I reload a save if I used too mutch spells or lost health in Pillars of Eternity....
I really enjoyed these games, but I'm too weak/lazy to choose the Iron Man difficulty when it's available.

That's why I love Faster than Light. with epic moments like charging the jump drive with 1 hp left during a battle, just hoping to find a store were to repair. Dark Souls, when you're lost with no more potions, and you find a bonefire... And Exanima, where the tension is real and you have to fight like a lion or flee a combat because you simply don't want to die, witch leads to some awesome moments.
People are asking for "options". I just know I'd be playing the save mode. And I would abuse it eventualy.

Of course I'm pretty sure it's not the case for everyone.

But Imo, a checkpoint ( at the Portal I assume ? ) would be enough of a save, I'd be really happy with that.
I am much the same u love the challenge games can give you, but quicksaves and many checkpoints ruin the game for me, I can't help but reload the game to have the perfect outcome. And same thing with iron man mode in games, the difficulty is increased based mostly on stats, so instead of 10hits to kill, u need 30,it is not the same as a system that is both fair and challenging. What bare mettle are creating with the ai is something beautiful and I would not like to see it ruined by an easy save feature. In sui generic I believe death will be an experience, here it can be a pain, but I would still not have it ruined. Well placed checkpoints or an auto save every 30mins cud be nice, storing only the last 2hrs,so 4 autsaves total per character. U can go back max 2hrs,but who would want to :p

When you die in sui generis, it should also wipe your auto saves

Last edited:

Oona

Insider
Manual saves do not ruin the game for me, in fact they allow me to explore the game more. I like to go back sometimes and try things differently from a certain point.

Sure, some people can abuse it and miss out all the fun by going back to avoid some failures, but it's their choice.

What really ruins the game for me is fast travel. I really abused that in Skyrim, but if navigation was funner (aka, some parkour?) I probably would use it less. Portals are ok, I think.

Definitely needs a save system, not having one in a modern RPG is ridiculous. For all those saying "1hr is not a long time" or "fast save/load system killed the challenge of so many games"; maybe you have an infinite amount of free time to play games with no responsibilities IRL but many of us backers do not. If you want an ironman mode, play without saving on your own. But just to not even have an option to save? Big problem. Checkpoints? What is this a 90's Playstation game?

burgzaza

Insider
It is a design choice. Not a lack of something. Omg. It's not the only modern game that does that. If you have not mutch free time, why even back a hardcore game ?

Tony

Insider
Checkpoints? What is this a 90's...game?
Actually, since you mentioned it, this game was inspired by older generation(s) of games where challenges still existed and innovation was the norm. If this doesn't appeal to you then I don't think Exanima is going to be your cup of tea. Almost nothing in Exanima and Sui Generis will function like it does in other games which is what appeals to me the most.

"Design choice" - well this is the Feedback forum is it not? The feedback here, in regard to your point, is that not having a save system is a bad choice.

"not the only modern game that does that" - show me the RPG that doesn't have a save system that's not a Roguelike. Imagine if Dragon Age or Pillars of Eternity didn't have save systems. They (or at least PoE does, haven't played latest DA) have Ironman modes for those wanting to play that way AS AN OPTION.

"why even back a hardcore game" - show me where on the Kickstarter page the word "hardcore" is listed. Show me where on the Kickstarter it says there won't be a save system. Not even to mention the fact that "hardcore" in no way implies lack of save system. Look at Age of Decadence, arguably one of the "hardest core" RPGs in development, even that has a save system.

Tony

Insider
There already is a save system. The game automatically saves your progress every time you play and you can continue by pressing the big "CONTINUE" button in the main menu. There will also be a "checkpoint" (for lack of a better word) that will permanently save your character's progression and allow you to start from there instead of the beginning. This will be related to the skill system so you can have multiple characters all with different builds; it'll permanently save your character and progress when reaching this point in the game.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.