Exanima OST Preview

Bethain

Developer
Hello everyone. I've uploaded some music and put together a playlist on youtube. It's a small preview of the stuff I've made for Exanima. You may have already heard some of the tracks if you've played the game, but some you definitely won't have. Hope you enjoy. If you have any questions feel free to ask. All the best!

tiny lampe

Insider
If there is one common denominator between all those is that them tracks keep evolving in totally unexpected ways. After listening to any of the tracks for a minute or so it's easy to believe that you've heard enough to know what will come next. And just when you are thinking that then BAM!, the track mutates into something totally different that immediately repicks you interest. I don't know if this style has a technical name but I love it!

Keep up the good work Bethain!

Last edited:

Bethain

Developer
Great stuff! Everything sounds so original.
Question: Where do you draw inspiration from?
Thanks. Good question. Most of the inspiration for these tracks came from the game itself, but also from the music I listen to. Having eclectic taste and listening to a lot of different styles of music helps me a great deal. Most of all though, it's the ethos, artwork, and overall quality of the game that drives the musical style. In my opinion having a run of the mill orchestral soundtrack for Exanima just wouldn't really work, it needs something a little off the wall and unique. I do my best to provide that, the results aren't always what I hoped for but that's just how it goes I 'spose, mostly I'm pretty happy with how it all sounds.

Pilluminati

Insider
Thanks. Good question. Most of the inspiration for these tracks came from the game itself, but also from the music I listen to. Having eclectic taste and listening to a lot of different styles of music helps me a great deal. Most of all though, it's the ethos, artwork, and overall quality of the game that drives the musical style. In my opinion having a run of the mill orchestral soundtrack for Exanima just wouldn't really work, it needs something a little off the wall and unique. I do my best to provide that, the results aren't always what I hoped for but that's just how it goes I 'spose, mostly I'm pretty happy with how it all sounds.
Any styles in particular? Some of the stuff you've composed for the Sui Generis videos sound almost like a mix of irish and chinese (or japanese?) folk music I guess (broad generalizations I know). Really interesting stuff.

Last edited:

Bethain

Developer
Any styles in particular? Some of the stuff you've composed for the Sui Generis videos sound almost like a mix of irish and chinese (or japanese?) folk music I guess (broad generalizations I know). Really interesting stuff.
It would be easier for me to tell you what I don't listen to that what I do to be honest. I don't listen to jazz or country, though some old Dolly Parton stuff is ok heh. I like some Irish folk yeah, though not much tbh. Been listening to this a fair bit lately.

There is some really good Chinese music around, nice electronica and weird rock/pop type stuff, Carsick Cars are good if you like that kind of thing. Japan has tons of great music obviously, far too much to mention here, have a soft spot for Hatsune Miku for the lulz, went through a phase of listening to Miyavi's version of requiem recently if that's of any interest.

In terms of more relevant stuff. I like the obvious contemporary film/game composers. Hans Zimmer, Ramin Djawadi, Jeremy Soule, Philip Glass, Ryan Amon, Trevor Morris... Vikings soundtrack is the best thing around at the moment I reckon.

Last edited:

burgzaza

Insider
It's so great ! SG is a unique game in many ways, and your music is too, surprising, inspiring... each track sets the ambience. Love them all :)
Thanks for sharing !

Scarecrow

Insider
Hey, great work Bethain! I'm so glad you are the one to make the music of Sui Generis/Exanima, cus you are a really talented guy. Not the first time I've said it, wont be the last either. I cant wait to listen to more of your work!

Also I'm glad you are one of those that listens to many different kinds of music. Too many people I know almost seem to restrict themselves to one or two genres. Seems so incredibly dull.

Cooper Holt

Insider
Hello everyone. I've uploaded some music and put together a playlist on youtube. It's a small preview of the stuff I've made for Exanima. You may have already heard some of the tracks if you've played the game, but some you definitely won't have. Hope you enjoy. If you have any questions feel free to ask. All the best!
Might I add these are absolutely spectacular for D&D?
I'm having another session in about four hours, and it sounds absolutely perfect for my campaign. It matches the style exactly (though Exanima itself is a largely influential factor in my campaign's setting). The players are going to love it.
Thanks again, Bethain!

lvk

Insider
I love it, a lot of orchestral music in games tends to stick to background ambience and doesn't have the stones to want to be on the foreground. In XA/SG it's helping a lot to set the atmosphere properly. In the first track, are you using EastWest's symphonic choirs library? It really sounds like it.

Don Kanaille

Insider
As someone who loves and plays medieval instruments, I say the game certainly needs more of those!

Don´t get me wrong, I like the orchestral soundtrack. But there are almost no fantasay or medieval-themed games which use actual period instruments for their soundtrack. Bagpipe, horn, dulcimer, hurdy gurdy, harp, shawm, cittern, nyckelharpa, lute, etc. ... just to name a few. If you could fit some of those in, I would be thrilled :)

A random muscial example I picked (discount the occasional guitar).

Bethain

Developer
I love it, a lot of orchestral music in games tends to stick to background ambience and doesn't have the stones to want to be on the foreground. In XA/SG it's helping a lot to set the atmosphere properly. In the first track, are you using EastWest's symphonic choirs library? It really sounds like it.
actually Im using 8dio's requiem :)

Bethain

Developer
there are actually a few medieaval instruments in some of the tracks, they've just been quite heavily processed

Don Kanaille

Insider
there are actually a few medieaval instruments in some of the tracks, they've just been quite heavily processed
Glad to hear you are already making use of those! :)

However, I have to admit, I cannot recall a single part where these instruments where outstanding enough to really distinguish themself from the classic orchestra. Making some of these uniquely-sounding instruments more prominent could really help to immerse yourself in this medieval world, especially later in Sui Generis when you stroll through the world and hang out in towns and taverns where the mood is a bit lighter than in the eerie underworld of Exanima.

Having a few tracks which actually focus on these instruments would be awesome, just to see how you like this approach and how it feels in the game :D

To clarify, I´m not critizing you here. I´m just making suggestions (influenced by personal taste) :3

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.