Zombie/Undead combat behavior...

Kigre

I get it that their minds are altered and they are behaving like idiots with swords.
But i dont like how it plays. They always strike, all the time without delay as long as they are in range. They dot flinch to your feints, wich i am totally fine with, them being zombies and all. But generally fighting them became pretty lame after a while. I started in the arena, completed both before trying campaign, so i felt confident.
Most of what i had learned in the arena i quickly discovered i needed to discard. It all went down to one single strike, usually after an evaded strike or a block. And thats it. Didnt need none of the heavy strikes.
Knowing that the zombie will just strike whenever he can all the time, it became tideuos and without strategy.
I know its all up for change seeing this game is still iin development. Its just my two cents on the matter and truly hope this will become the game i hoped it to be. Absolutely love the mechanic behind the fighting as it is, now we just need dismemberment and more gore and we got a true classic in the making. :)

Peace.

A big reason for the zombies might be that new players are gonna have a lot of trouble with the combat, and zombies helps ease them into it. Also, whereas Sui Generis death might be bad, it isn't quite final. In Examina, if you die, that's it (I thought I saw something about checkpoints in the options menu, but I haven't used it, and don't know how much it changes the game). It makes sense that we'd want to scale up the difficulty slowly.

I'm sorry if you're finding it to be too easy. Personally, I'm still trying to master the zombies (I'm getting farther and farther each time, but I've got a ways to go. They always get me eventually). I wouldn't worry about difficulty for now though, I'm sure you'll encounter more dangerous opponents as the development of Examina progresses.

Kigre

A big reason for the zombies might be that new players are gonna have a lot of trouble with the combat, and zombies helps ease them into it. Also, whereas Sui Generis death might be bad, it isn't quite final. In Examina, if you die, that's it (I thought I saw something about checkpoints in the options menu, but I haven't used it, and don't know how much it changes the game). It makes sense that we'd want to scale up the difficulty slowly.

I'm sorry if you're finding it to be too easy. Personally, I'm still trying to master the zombies (I'm getting farther and farther each time, but I've got a ways to go. They always get me eventually). I wouldn't worry about difficulty for now though, I'm sure you'll encounter more dangerous opponents as the development of Examina progresses.
I wouldnt say "too easy." Ever. :) This game is very hard and i like it just because of that. I was more worried about little variation in the approach in combat. If the zombies.. lets say where different in behavior. One uber aggressive and wild, another defensive/passive and perhaps some slight delays in their striking sometimes, just... mix it up a little whatever way possible. Im guessing other types of AI will give us ALOT more of a challenge than zombies. Im just hoping for some variation within its behavior. Thanks.

Elaxter

Insider
The more I think about it, the more I realise a checkpoint system is necessary for this game's survival. Though I wish it was done differently, (an object that you find that on use acts as a save and is destroyed is a nice example of something different) the current system might be a place holder. A checkpoint after each level feels artificial, but what ever.

The zombies are tough opponents to fight at times. They don't care about their well being, they do not back up when you advanced, they always attack and never defend, etc. etc. The arena should include a you-vs-zombie mode because I am used to fighting humans so when I fight an opponent that doesn't care if it lives or dies, its a little hard to fight.

Faelivrin

Insider
I wouldnt say "too easy." Ever. :) This game is very hard and i like it just because of that. I was more worried about little variation in the approach in combat. If the zombies.. lets say where different in behavior. One uber aggressive and wild, another defensive/passive and perhaps some slight delays in their striking sometimes, just... mix it up a little whatever way possible. Im guessing other types of AI will give us ALOT more of a challenge than zombies. Im just hoping for some variation within its behavior. Thanks.
There are a lot of zombies AI variations already, you can really say each one a personality. But as far i know not in regard to combat. While the weapon/armor your opponent use really do make a difference, i think they behave the same in terms of movements, defense and attack once they enter combat mode, excepting
the proctor
. Add variation in this regard sounds like a good idea but in my opinion they should stay balanced to be easy opponents unless they act as "bosses".

Kigre

There are a lot of zombies AI variations already, you can really say each one a personality. But as far i know not in regard to combat. While the weapon/armor your opponent use really do make a difference, i think they behave the same in terms of movements, defense and attack once they enter combat mode, excepting
the proctor
. Add variation in this regard sounds like a good idea but in my opinion they should stay balanced to be easy opponents unless they act as "bosses".
Totally agree. Whatever change they'd add, it should be subtle but enough to keep you guessing a little. Because the way it is now, i dont vary my playstyle AT ALL. Its just block, strike, block, strike. All the time, the same strike more or less. When i get the oppertunity i strike differently but usually its the same recipe for every zombie. My new favorite is fighting multiple enemies at the same time. They striking like they do, me blocking and backing up, they usually kill themselves. And i stand left with only one enemy. Its hillarious but i dont do much fighting. :)
It sometimes looks like they are feinting but its just me getting out of reach.
So in conclusion, i would just add a tiny delay here and there, maybe they sometimes only strike ONE heavy blow after you, instead of two like they ALWAYS do when they can...

Thanks for your reply.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.