Combat attack direction

Nomad

Attack swings really, really needs to be put to left and right mouse button. If I want to swing from the left - I click on the left mouse button and swings fom the right is done by clicking on the right mouse button.

Magic can have its own button - like F or V.

At the very least give us manually key bindings, please.
Hold V, and he runs towards the mouse. Sounds like it would work just fine

Last edited:

Nahkuri

Yes please. I'd much prefer that over the current system, which I of course would like to remain as an alternative control scheme option for those that like using it.

I think you will always Run with RMB. It's pretty damn useful already when you get into a jam in campaign. It will probably only be more useful as the difficulty ramps up.

Pilluminati

Insider
I gotta agree, at least with the rebinding option. It's simply superior for control as you can execute the attack more quickly and won't accidentally perform a RtL attack when your character is rotating and you place the cursor slightly wrong. I see many people doing weird LtR attacks where they end up turning left because having your character face the enemy while performing the attack requires you to flick the cursor to the left quickly then clicking and flicking it back to the right. As much as I'm used to it there's no question about which offers better performance.

Nomad

You can't control the direction as well using keys, though I suppose it would be a matter of preference. Rebinding keys is probably the best option.
Why not. Hold V, and he runs towards the mouse. Sounds like it would work just fine

Solinarius

While I don't mind the default controls, the OP's method would allow much more responsive controls. Sometimes, I feel like I'm fighting against a protractor and the undead. I'd map the "run at mouse" key to one of my thumb buttons :).

Speaking of attack directions, will certain weapon types have their own kinds of swings? As an example, take hand axes. The most practical attacks with them are overhead swings (or at least above the shoulder), whether they are diagonal overhead or straight overhead (so I've heard and seen, from real-life perspectives). This is because axes require greater accuracy to be effective and gravity works against horizontal swings. Some of these things may hold true, even in Exanima, due to its simulations. In any case, I think it would be a neat way to further distinguish between weapon techniques.

Last edited:

Iscandar

I'd also like to add that this will make it easier for shorter characters to perform shoulder and head blows more frequently, which is a good thing. The LtR swing tends to hit higher than the RtL swing, though right now the LtR swing is harder to perform. Tall characters can perform relatively easy headshots with both the RtL and LtR swings, which puts them at an advantage since it gives them a better average hits to kill ratio. This would somewhat equalize, but not take away that advantage.

Why couldn't you just use a modifier key for LtRs? Chivalry uses the ALT key with LMB to queue LtR attacks, the same could be done here with the addition of allowing you to rebind it. This seems to follow suit with the coming combat maneuvers such as thrusts, draw cuts, pulls (think of hooked weapons) and even thaumaturgy. All these will inevitably require some additional input to pull off, but not everyone has a mouse with extra keys. The only sure fire way, imo, to address this input for all players is to keep them on the keyboard. Should you be able to rebind them in the future, that is your own right and you should do it in a way that makes sense to 'you'. For myself, I run in and out of combat with RMB. This feels very natural and I never have to think about what RMB might do in this situation.

As for attack directions, I believe this is sorta intrinsic to the system. Every weapon already behaves differently and you need to actually practice if you want to succeed. They each offer different strengths, weaknesses, and strategies that you really can't understand without putting some time and understanding in. This, imo, is incredibly deep and any player can hone unique skills that are completely there own. I do agree that a certain increase in control may benefit this depth but as it stands now (beta!), it is immensely rewarding and satisfying. I think the coming update will address a least some concerns with inconsistencies in the attack patterns but in the end, it comes down to 'your' play/inputs.

I feel your pain on those LtRs going a little high. I've always felt it came down to how fast I pivoted my body with the swing. A LtR while standing still seems to hit the chest pretty consistently. However, if I'm in the groove, I go pretty much all out with my pivoting to maximize my blows. This is where I see my LtRs pass harmlessly overhead. It's frustrating but with practice I can pretty reliably connect a LtR to a face. I practice this A LOT in the arena as the opponents will typically walk right into a LtR if you allow them to advance before initiating the attack.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.