Where do the Checkpoints Start?

Cooper Holt

Insider
I progressed further than every before, killed many enemies, and discovered many things, but then I died as I attempted to return to an earlier room to try a key.

I was surprised to see that I could not continue, despite having checked off "Early Checkpoints" in the settings menu.

Am I misunderstand the "Early Checkpoints" function? Is it even possible to continue without restarting upon death?

Thanks.

Baka-sama

I miss not knowing everything about the game. It was such a joy to explore.
Yeah...I kinda hope that a random dungeon mode gets implemented, have arena, campaign, and dungeon mode. Sure there wouldn't be nice pieces of lore around, but that would add lots of replay-ability, where you could load up a dungeon if you got bored and go around finding loot and slaying randomized enemies while exploring an unfamiliar dungeon. Just a thought.

Vold

Insider
A random dungeon would not add anything to the game, in my opinion. A world without history and purpose, in which I know nothing relevant will happen does not intrest me at all. I would still enjoy all what the game has to offer in terms of combat, item progression, etc; but I'd rather do that in the story mode, regardless of the limited content.

Last edited:
A randomized dungeon... With this game's physics...
I suppose there could be "Pre-sets" to room layouts, but ehhh...
Think about the resources your computer would need.

Cooper Holt

Insider
I disagree that it'd be a bad idea. It wouldn't matter (to an appreciable degree) what the layout of or size of the rooms were as long as they were all in the area somewhere. This would significantly increase replayability and certainly wouldn't take anything away from the game.

The only problems I could see would be, as Orlackthereof said, computer resources.

ZaratanCho

Insider
Seems like a pointless waste of time, better work on the actual story content and other a lot more important and relevant features.
Having a random dungeon wont increase replayability since i see no point in playing it aside from fooling around(which i can do even now). When the full content and features are added there will be more than enough replayability in the main campaign(though i have went trough the current content many times as it is, to mess around). Vold pretty much nailed it.

Baka-sama

I agree that other features should definitely come first, I was just thinking that it would be nice to have a new dungeon to explore each time, with new enemies and chest locations each playthrough so that I'm surprised each time, and get that nervous feeling I had in the first couple runs through the campaign. The atmosphere of the unknown. I'm sure you know what I mean. I figured after Exanima and SG were done they could release a dungeon mode, as either a free or paid dlc. Or maybe a talented modder could do it. I didn't mean to imply that I thought it should get prevalence over the main story, or other content. I was just musing how that would be, in my opinion, a nice feature.

Vold

Insider
I'd like better a community made campaign using modding tools which may (not confirmed), be released after the release of the full game.
The thing I don't like about randomized dungeons is that they are generic and the exploration is tedious. This may be something personal, I usually get bored of games with randomized worlds because at certain point you realize that there is nothing else they have to offer in terms of exploration.

Although, a certain level of randomization about certain objects or events, such as traps, would actually bring some replayability I guess.

Murf

I agree that other features should definitely come first, I was just thinking that it would be nice to have a new dungeon to explore each time, with new enemies and chest locations each playthrough so that I'm surprised each time, and get that nervous feeling I had in the first couple runs through the campaign. The atmosphere of the unknown. I'm sure you know what I mean. I figured after Exanima and SG were done they could release a dungeon mode, as either a free or paid dlc. Or maybe a talented modder could do it. I didn't mean to imply that I thought it should get prevalence over the main story, or other content. I was just musing how that would be, in my opinion, a nice feature.
Leave a couple doors open as you play through. Plenty of opportunities for surprise and tense feelings while playing. IMO it is still very re-playable time and time again. AI acts differently each time, a lot of them are in different locations, etc.

Leave a couple doors open as you play through. Plenty of opportunities for surprise and tense feelings while playing. IMO it is still very re-playable time and time again. AI acts differently each time, a lot of them are in different locations, etc.
You sure? Most enemies I encounter always act the same; Neutral, gets pissed off randomly, attacks when vulnerable, defensive, and aggressive. And I think they spawn in a certain room with a "patrol" which explains their somewhat random locations. Level 2 is alittle more hectic and random, but that's just due to the many corridors and zombies. The game is quite re-playable, but somethings are to be expected as always.

Murf

Every time I play, there are some zombies in different locations, sure some are always in the same spot, but some are randomly placed, and like I said, leave a door or two open as you wander, you will be surprised for sure.

Every time I play, there are some zombies in different locations, sure some are always in the same spot, but some are randomly placed, and like I said, leave a door or two open as you wander, you will be surprised for sure.
I did a few speed runs, The zombies always seem to be in the same area maybe 2-3 rooms off sometimes.

In areas like the room behind the locked door to the left of spawn in level one which has no doors closed up to the ward/asylum place zombies are more likely to wander from room to room, and when I play, I don't close doors behind me. I've never been attacked by someone sneaking up behind me. Or at-least not much. at all.

I do find replay-ability in learning how to fight better or just loot and items I encounter.

Vold

Insider
Undeads cannot open doors yet, and their behaviour is not finished, but it's more comlpex that what it appears to be. Not all of them have the same aggression and they clearly make decisions based on what's more convenient for them to do, for example, stab you in the back (it has happened to me a few times, when I think I can trust them and when I turn my back on them I get betrayed...), the first time I rofl'ed for quite a while. Also, it has been demonstrated that they react to eye contact with your character (treat them as dogs - whereas if you look at their eyes it means that you are threatening them and looking away means you are less of a threat - this will depend on how aggresive they are). I have managed to get to the second zone, avoiding aggresive NPCs and walking past the others just by using the correct behaviour (when they see you, stand still, don't stare at them and wait... eventually they will ignore you - of course that this only works with some of them).

Anyways, it's not finished but they are not random (not randomly spawned nor directed nor intentioned (not sure about that word)), and as @Murf said, if you leave the doors open, you may get in troubles.

Last edited:

zhuliks

Insider
Not all of them have the same aggression and they clearly make decisions based on what's more convenient for them to do, for example, stab you in the back (it has happened to me a few times, when I think I can trust them and when I turn my back on them I get betrayed...
Passing zombies in pacifist mode has much more suspense than any Hollywood thriller.

- Zombie AI
- Inventory
- Combat
- Environment interaction

its all unique and fun in this game, rarely anything in it was done before.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.