About the parry mechanic:

Vold

Insider
Eventhough, the game is under development and the combat system is unfinished (the most of it is still WIP: skills, animations, movement, etc), the current combat system is not as simple as you think, and I don't blame you, because you are new to the game.

A few weeks after I started playing the game I was still using a reactive attack mode (waiting for the enemy to attack to counter), it seemed like the best way to fight. It took me months and eventually I was doing moves that I never could do before and I learned them the hard way... dying a lot.

When I started I was also tempted to suggest stuff to improve the game, but I realized that before than suggesting something I had to master the combat (which by the way, I still haven't).

Whenever I think I have mastered the combat, I watch this video:
... and I realize I'm not quite there yet.

Last edited:

Vanguarda

Holy shit, thats some very well made attacks!

But notice Mr. Vold how he barely parryies, and I guess I haven't seen 1 single ripost. The deffensive manuevers are mostly little dodge and long dodge, and these mostly backwards instead of side dodges, because using side dodges you risk needing to parry, and parrying not only can fail, as it doesn't oppen any opportunities for attacks. If he was in a smaller place with some objects, he would end up in a situation where parry would be the only deffensive option, and there is where the problem beggins imo.

Consider this situation: you are cornered by a spammy shield guy. You will have to parry his attack and lets say you do sucessfully parry it, now its time for a riposte that will probably give you a opportunity to change the tide of this fight right? Wrong, spammy shield guy will still have initiative and will hit you before your riposte can help you.

Now lets say your parry fails, you look at the direction of the incomming attack (lets say right to left) but it fails. Now spammy guy is already making a left to right combo, that you won't be able to dodge because you are cornered, and in my experience its quite hard and really unreliable when you had right to left parry animation up and must quickly deffend from a left to right attack. Especially if this opponent is like that seccond lady in red with a shield, that you fight in expert arena, as she attacks real fast.

My point is: only way to regain initiative in this combat mechanic at the moment is by dodging backwards, parry and riposte doesn't really help, and they should help imo. Maybe making parry more reliable and ripostes more deadly could do this

Vold

Insider
I certainly wouldn't be able to rely only on parry / counter to defeat the expert arena (actually, I just tried a few times and only managed to get to the 4th enemy - using starting cloth and only a 1h sword to parry, and standing still the whole fight). I think it's painfully difficult to do so; with a shield it'd be a different story tho.

However, parry doesn't seem as unreliable as you mentioned. If I position the cursor properly the most of the times the parry will succeed, but there are some opportunities where it fails miserably, maybe due to a bad timing or maybe due to that it still needs more improvement (It's been mentioned that the upcoming update will improve it). Also, I managed to do some pretty good ripostes. But I failed many of them, due to poor timing and some due to bad positioning; also probably to that it still needs improvement.

Now, if I fight as I regularly do in the situation you mentioned, I think that in most cases I would just dash forward and try to switch places with the enemy. If I get cornered I hardly ever try to parry/riposte my way out. Anyways, the beauty of this game is that even the most skilled player will eventually die due to poor timing and/or bad combination of moves, so the fear of death is always out there, specially in the campaign.

Madoc

Project Lead
I think you might be misinterpreting how the skill techniques work. They allow your actions to flow quickly together. Fend allows you to instantly transition from attacking to defending and riposte allows you to instantly transition from parrying to attacking. In Dark Souls for example a parry/riposte gives you a few seconds in which to leisurely execute your opponent, almost enough to go collect a chopping block and select a suitable weapon for the execution. In Exanima riposte gives you about half a second timing advantage. This is quite a small window, if you wait to see what happened before reacting you've likely missed it entirely, you need to act predictively. It's not a guaranteed win, it's a timing advantage that may be circumstantially useful. You're unlikely to riposte a longsword wielder with a maul, for example, the longsword wielder naturally has a huge speed advantage.

In the expert arena you have some skilled opponents with well balanced weapons, gaining a clear timing advantage over them won't be easy. You will need different tacticts against different ones. Being cornered by someone with a heater shield and an arming sword is something you want to avoid, not something with an obvious solution.

Also, in your posts you seem more focused on the parry's inability to stop the weapon than it failing to intercept it completely. While we rely on actual collisions to determine whether a parry is successful, if the weapon retains enough force to push the parry aside or slide off it and connect, it is still counted as a parry and does no damage. This is the artificial mechanic I was referring to. You'll still hear collisions against armour or the body, but it doesn't cause damage and counts as a parry.

In the upcoming update parries more reliably intercept attacks, and are also better at stopping their momentum. There are also other changes, such as a more pronounced difference in the effects of weapon balance and weight in parrying. This will likely all need some tweaking, but the fundamental way things work won't change.

I would also note that parrying does not work like in Chivalry where you aim at the opponent's weapon or any particular direction, there isn't a way to trigger it beyond getting you weapon or shield in the way of theirs. In most cases facing you opponent head on works best, but the exact positioning that works depends on various circumstantial factors and notably what weapons are involved.

Ultimately this is a game that you can't learn by memorising patterns and mechanics, it's something that just takes practice and muscle memory, you'll be good at something when you stop realising you're even doing it. Everyone learns to play differently, and excel with different weapons and tactics.

In the upcoming update parries more reliably intercept attacks, and are also better at stopping their momentum.
Well... the shield-bearers will be tougher than now - that's good of course but also not good, at the same time. Practice-practice...

There are also other changes, such as a more pronounced difference in the effects of weapon balance and weight in parrying. This will likely all need some tweaking, but the fundamental way things work won't change.
So will there be minimal chances for dagger to block warhammer strike? (Hoping for "yes" answer... ;))

Vanguarda

In Exanima riposte gives you about half a second timing advantage. This is quite a small window, if you wait to see what happened before reacting you've likely missed it entirely, you need to act predictively. It's not a guaranteed win, it's a timing advantage that may be circumstantially useful. You're unlikely to riposte a longsword wielder with a maul, for example, the longsword wielder naturally has a huge speed advantage.

In the expert arena you have some skilled opponents with well balanced weapons, gaining a clear timing advantage over them won't be easy. You will need different tacticts against different ones. Being cornered by someone with a heater shield and an arming sword is something you want to avoid, not something with an obvious solution.
Fair points Mr. Madoc, I have no objections in this matter and fully understand the design behind this idea, makes sense and its cool because it forces you to use different strategies agaisnt different opponents. And you are doing a amazing job in this, as it feels really different to fight a shield person and then fighting a spear, or halberd guy. Even fighting 1h sword, then fighting 1h hammer/blunt weapon feels different and you must adapt!

Also, in your posts you seem more focused on the parry's inability to stop the weapon than it failing to intercept it completely. While we rely on actual collisions to determine whether a parry is successful, if the weapon retains enough force to push the parry aside or slide off it and connect, it is still counted as a parry and does no damage. This is the artificial mechanic I was referring to. You'll still hear collisions against armour or the body, but it doesn't cause damage and counts as a parry.
Yes! Thats part of my point, parrying doesn't stop the opponent's weapon, especially if it is some sort of sword. Axes usually are pretty damn hard to parry because the axe head seems to hit you in the arms/chest more often then not. Also axe overheads when you are using a polearm are a nightmare fuel, because they don't really stop the weapon and usually something really gruesome happens to your face.

In the upcoming update parries more reliably intercept attacks, and are also better at stopping their momentum. There are also other changes, such as a more pronounced difference in the effects of weapon balance and weight in parrying. This will likely all need some tweaking, but the fundamental way things work won't change.
This makes me real happy man, that's the best way to "fix" parryies imo, making them intercept attacks more reliably and better at stopping momentum. My first suggestion, about parryies redirecting attacks, was to help in the momentum problem!

I would also note that parrying does not work like in Chivalry where you aim at the opponent's weapon or any particular direction, there isn't a way to trigger it beyond getting you weapon or shield in the way of theirs. In most cases facing you opponent head on works best, but the exact positioning that works depends on various circumstantial factors and notably what weapons are involved.
In my experience Mr. Madoc, the way to make parryies work best is to kinda manipulate their animation with the mouse, creating some force behind the parry animation while it is active, so you kinda stop their momentum and redirect a bit the attack. Its goddamn hard to pull of correctly in my opinion, because you have to consider the timing of the parry animation, the timing of the attack + the mouse movement you must do. You know thee animation polearms do when deffending from a right-to-left attack? You can "hook" that animation on people's neck and throw them on the ground lmao, I can't reliably do it though, still need to git gud but it seems possible.

Have in mind Mr. Madoc, that I mostly (only) play with polearms, so all I say about parry animations and these things are mostly related to polearms.

What do you think about this thing, of manipulating the parry animation using the mouse? You told me that the most effective way is to look straight to your opponent, but what if we, the players, could make parrying better by manipulating the animation with mouse movement? In polearms seems quite possible, maybe if it was easier to do it you know, like a animation that allows easier manipulation, or just more "weight" or strength in said animation, it could add depth to the game! As you would be able to react to a attack by manipulating the parry animation! So it would have the same thing attacks has right now: if you time it right and make the right movement with the mouse and footwork, you make a strong as fuck attack that hits like a truck. If you timed the parry right and made the right movement with the mouse + footwork, you could throw your opponent offbalance, giving you a big opportunity to attack him with a well landed riposte! This way a maul man could use ripostes agaisnt 2h sword guy, IF he is skilled enough in manipulating the parry animation!

The problem here would be stabs and overheads I guess. But then, going back to my first suggestion, if the animation to parry a stab or overhead was a generic swap like animation, that the player would have to adjust using mouse movement and footwork to make it really effective, it could work I guess. But then, technical limitations and what not right, wish I understood this thing better tbh, probably I wouldn't waste your time with this shit lol. I'm sorry man

Ultimately this is a game that you can't learn by memorising patterns and mechanics, it's something that just takes practice and muscle memory, you'll be good at something when you stop realising you're even doing it. Everyone learns to play differently, and excel with different weapons and tactics.
Yes Chivalry is also like this Mr. Madoc, there is no magic recipy for victory, you must master the mechanics to the point you don't think on what you are doing, people take about 300h to do that in Chiv, but have mastered the mechanics doesn't mean you are a good player, as you must learn how to outplay people, and tbh this is the hardes part. Depending on your opponent, you need more then 1k hours of experience under your belt to say "yes, I can beat this guy".

In Chiv we have a nice mix between reactive and predictive gameplay. Both happen at the same time, you are always predicting and reacting to things, thats how you outplay someone. I feel like the deffensive reactive part in Exanima is limitated, as most of your deffensive reactions will be backward dodges.

Last edited:

Scully

Insider
I really like the idea of getting better blocks my using your mouse. For example if the hit comes from the left, you could start a left to right attack; cancel it, now your weapon is closer to the enemies weapon and you get a successful block.

As it is now you are at the mercy of the game, does the character decide to block or not?

Vanguarda

I really like the idea of getting better blocks my using your mouse. For example if the hit comes from the left, you could start a left to right attack; cancel it, now your weapon is closer to the enemies weapon and you get a successful block.

As it is now you are at the mercy of the game, does the character decide to block or not?
Have you played Mount & Blade: Warband?

There is a concept there called Chamber, it goes like this: your opponent does a overhead, when his attack starts to go down into your face, you overhead yourself. Its like, the act of winding up a attack functioned as a parry that immediatly turned into a attack.

What you say sounds kinda like this you know, I'm all for something like it, its pretty hard to pull of consistently in M&B as it requires great skill and timing notion, high risk - high reward kind of thing, but bots more often then not deffend themselves from a chamber with another chamber, it gets really intense tbh. Sometimes you and the opponent exange like 3 or 4 chambers in a row, really cool stuff.

immediately

Last edited:

Scully

Insider
Yeah, I have over 2000 hour of Warband multiplayer. Chamber blocks are really awesome and I would love something like that in this game. I've always thought game developers focus too much of the attacks and forget about the defensive aspects.

I saw this video posted on the Mount & Blade forums today, reminds me a lot of overhead chamber blocks:

Vanguarda

you can actually do that =) in Exanima. maybe not that fast? I still have a lot to learn
No you can't. If you do it its simply luck, I have done it a few times not only with overheads but with horizontal swings as well. If you play to win, or being as efficient as you can, you won't even use parryies as they are already too unreliable, imagine this chamber thing that is not even intended, its like asking to eat a medieval weapon lol.

The actual game meta is dodge backwards and attack, I haven't found one single tactic that is more efficient then this one. Its the safest way to play in my experience, no matter if you got 1h, 2h sword/mace/hammer or a polearm, just dodge backwards and attack.

Vanguarda

Well, i guess if you only take AI into account this might be true, at least is the nooby way to deal with fights.
Well then, show me how pros deal with fights. I thought that guy from Mr. Vold's video was a good player, and all he does is backward dodge and attack. He does some quite good and strong attacks but essentialy its dodge and attack spam. Do you have any video showing people fighting with other styles? Like using more parryies then dodges, using ripostes, using this chamber thing etc?

Dont forget Im also learning, dont spect 10/10 flawless hollywood style.

Also, if i dont want to get hit, i woudnt be playing this game. Getting hit is how you know youre doing something wrong.

Vanguarda

Hey nice videos man!

After watching them for a few times, notice that in the first fight more often then not you use little dodge backwards. Also a parry that doesn't work at 1:03, that kind of thing costs your life sometimes. Notice how you did what you could to parry it, but it fails. Maybe if you moved the cursor a bit more to the right, the parry would have connected with the attack, who knows. In my experience, even tryharding with the cursor doesn't help, especially if you are using some sort of 2 handed agaisnt 1 handed, eventually you will eat a hit, and that makes dodging more safe, or the go-to option for reliable deffense.

I think I have a tip about stabs for you: I noticed in your video, you move the cursor too much when trying to aim the stab. Try to place and keep it at the opponent's head or where you wanna hit him all the time, the stab will go exactly there. To make a strong as fuck stab you gotta follow the attack movement with footwork. Its like, when your char pull the weapon back to prepare the stab, you start a backwards little dodge. As soon as the weapon starts to go foward, you do little or big dodge (depending on the distance of the opponent/strenght you wanna use/risk you are willing to take, where big dodge is stronger, goes really far but its quite risky, and little dodge being the opposite).

The trick here is to do the footwork without taking the cursor off from where you wanna hit, so you must pay attention to the opponent's range, the attacking movement so you can do the right thing footwork wise you see. Its easier then it looks tbh, once you master it, use the spear and watch parryies fail left and right, even shield bots take spear to the face surprisingly often. Really deadly if you ask me.

Now the seccond video, also has a parry that fails at 0:30-0:32, and I think more 2 parryies fail on that video. Granted, shield is more efficient at parrying then 2 handed weapons it seems. But consider this: you were wearing armor, and the hit you took didn't cause any trouble. Take off that armor and the hit you took would take almost half of your health, and again, this is a situation where you did what you could to parry it, only way to not be hit like that is backward dodge.

Also, this video is really relevant:

yeah, im come from M&B where you have to move like a fucker to swing fast. Bad habits =D.

Also the block fails, yes, but taht doesnt mean the Blocking doesnt work. If you make a feint and the AI takes the bait, it will try to make a reaction, but since the reaction comes right before the next blow then it hasnt time to recover to recibe the attack.

Ill try to make a video with my best movez, but that might take time S=.

Gsprfdude

I haven't really had some of the problems you described, not to say that they don't exist just that I think it depends on the situations we're in. I've occasionally had parries fail but that was only up against people using polearms, I managed to parry and hit their pole but the head of the polearm is still close enough to whack me some.

In general I find that moving away from an incoming attack isn't always the best move. If you're in a really bad position and don't have time to get away I usually block while moving into their swing. If the block doesn't work it still mitigates the damage somewhat as you intercept the hit before it reached it's full power.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.