Exanima Appreciation Thread

Hespect617

Hi all, I just thought that it would be an appropriate time to offer some words of encouragement to the amazing Bare Mettle Ent. developers, so I wanted to create a thread in which we all post what aspects of the game we appreciate the most. This team has done what all the AAA teams SHOULD be doing; looking to innovate a medium that is all about player-driven experiences, rather than making a cheap rehash of ideas that amount to uninspired experiences.

So I suppose I am trying to say that the aspect of the game that I appreciate the most is the artistic, groundbreaking approach to their game mechanics. I am sure that we are all anxious to see the Thaumaturgy system break new ground in the role magic plays in a roleplaying context.

Really at this stage, I think all that is missing from the game is level design that accentuates and highlights the mechanics in the best ways possible. I enjoy the current level desings, but perhaps more philosphy applied to the level designs would be beneficial. John Romero had a lot of great game design philosophies with his Doom level desings. I can imagine Exanima having level design that would appear to be influenced by games like the first Deus Ex (which were built with player choices/incentives/critical thinking in mind), Silent Hill (mysteriousness, atmosphere, and moodiness), and the souls series (a rollercoster ride of various challenges meant to evoke certain moods, responses, and provoking players into rethinking how their roles adapt, change, and apply to these challenges).

Again, the game world and mechanics are groundbreaking, and need only to be further accentuated by more thoughful level design philosophy, and this pursuit for innovation is what I appreciate the most about this game, and Bare Mettle Entertainment.

So everyone, what aspects of the game do you appreciate the most?

Roryn

Insider
I love that there's multiple mysteries and you have to piece together which clues fit to which mystery, and how they fit. Time? Writer? Faction? How objective? Perspective? Perhaps even intelligence? I love how it develops, too.

Homiccus

For me? The storytelling. I'm not far into the game, but I just love the design, it makes everything... believable.

First zombie you're likely to meet is standing in the dark in his workshop, hatchet in hand.
A mad carpenter brandishing a hacksaw, his work unfinished, the piece of wood still on the workmate.
Further down is another undead, carries a candlestick through a dark corridor. The candle has burnt to nothingness long time ago, but this wretched creature still remembers the well-treaded ways.

They are not random mobs. They were once the bloodstream of the outpost. They still can't let go of their mortal remains...

Last edited:

Homiccus

Roryn said:
...since it's marvellous.
I know, right? From now on Exanima is my own, personal version of Pompeii.
The difference is that the dead, instead of neatly laying in their plaster casts, walk around trying to hack my head off with an axe.

That said, the game does exhibit a certain dose of black humour and it's no secret that some denizens are timid while others - less so.
One of the aggressive zombies is found behind closed door, in a toilet, with a long metal rod. We can only imagine that, when death and subsequent undeath reached him, he was busy 'unclogging' the 'drainage'.
I don't know about you, but I'd be pretty pi**ed off if I was to be locked for eternity in an overflowing bog.

I love the combat gameplay.

After playing Exanima, no other Hack 'n Slash or melee video game will ever feel the same. Their empty blows, fixed animations, weightless swings and armour system full of deception. (i.e. Witcher and DarkSouls series are great games by their own, with outstanding combat animations, but I can not feel their blows any more as I feel in Exanima.)

Love the approach of BareMettle, Full-detailed control of your character melee actions with simple inputs.
Amazing.

Angeleyes

I just purchased the game and I really don't have any words other than I have never played a video game like this and I am completely blown away.

I just heard of Sui Generis and I am so very excited to discover this community and this game that as far as I am concerned is state of the art.

I'm 27 years old. I've been playing video games and had an avid interest in swordsmanship as long as I can remember. Discovering this game on Steam last week has been one of the most interesting experiences I've enjoyed in a long time. I didn't realize how badly I needed this game until I found it, lol. Thank you for effectively renewing my interests. :)

No doubt the combat, physics / animation system and graphics stand out as unique and amazing. I sometimes cringe in my seat when i hear the "THWAK-squish" sound of a hammer crushing a head, a short sword thrust into the neck, instantly turning the target into a limp sack of potatoes. Love it.

More than that though, every time a new patch comes out i play through the story again. I know the first 4 maps pretty much off by heart in terms of directions and loot, but almost every time i play i notice something new. There are so many tiny details that just add to the feeling of an organic world; from the parchments / lore to the 'junk items' and decor that make rooms feel meaningful or like they have/had purpose.

Also probably my favourite aspect is how the game is unforgiving if you do not think and play carefully. In other games you would pretty much expect some special reward for winning that 3v1, or there "must be" something hidden below all those chairs - not here. If anyone were going to hide something of value it would not be under a pile of chairs and just because there are 3 enemies in one room doesnt mean they are guarding anything in particular.... it makes me realize how conditioned i am by other to expect these superficial patterns(like gear before a boss,health after a boss, an enemy is always guarding something etc etc)

Homiccus

just because there are 3 enemies in one room doesnt mean they are guarding anything in particular.... it makes me realize how conditioned i am by other to expect these superficial patterns(like gear before a boss,health after a boss, an enemy is always guarding something etc etc)
This.

ThommiX

Really loving the game. Combat feels so good and big hits powerful. Best part is that it is actually difficult and won't hold your hand at all. Died dozens of times before even finished 1st floor. Now its easy after training. This game gives the actual progression back to the player instead of just being numbers in the game.

Story is also really interesting to piece together from all the little hints spread about.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.