The Coward and the Sir

Salexiss

This little tale starts with the new AI companion that I found on the very first level after patch 7.0.1.
We all know this poor lad, the unfortunate villager, kidnapped by the bandits, and thrown into this dungeon ahead of us. He was pretty helpful on the 1st and 2nd floors, until he was on the verge of succumbing to his wounds, after being ambushed by undead near a corner (3 of them were literally standing in a group, not moving). After that, I had to go and clear out increasing hordes (not hordes, groups) of zombies, with a side of occasional skeletons, alone. All while he was resting his sorry ass in one of the clsoed rooms on the level. Then, I finally found 2(!) healing bottles (on the second level, in the wing I overlooked when exploring for the first time), and that was already the time I found the portal to the 4th level.
Sending a couple of skeletons in brassy armor to the Underworld (I still hope THIS is not Underworld) and rummaging through all the containers I could, I managed to get a full brass plate armor (save for the night-vision helmet), as well as equiping nearly the same set on this villager, who was pretty decent with a two-hander by that time, I opened THE DOOR. Don't get me wrong , it was a metal door you can find anywhere on this level, the important thing was WHAT was behind it.
The Sir, making short work of a skeleton with his humongous claws. And that "work" was too short, as they stopped their eternal (or close to it) confrontation, and charged at me. After looking at the title, you could guess who am I refering to as the Coward. No, it was not me, even though I went (ran) back from that place to have more place to maneuver. The villager was close behind me, as I hoped he would not try to fight them there. He didn't... fight at all. He was running away like a poor peaseant he was, after seeing a DEMON-OH-GODS-DON'T-EAT-MY-SOUL, all the while the Sir was pummeling me on the floor and walls of the hall. I lost consciousness two times, but got up, took my sword back into my hand, and continued the battle. The only positive thing was that the Sir started chasing Damian(?) (David(?), Desmond(?), he has a name, I just remeber it starts with the letter D), after thinking that I am dead, which gave me time to get up and find my weapon.
In the end I managed to defeat the monstrosity, and this trusty companion that I was unfortunate enough to rescue, came to my side like nothing happened. Ugh...
BTW: In your disfigured face, Sir!
20180801141455_1.jpg

Salexiss

Now, in all seriousness, I have a question: Is it intended that people as villagers are to run when encountering such creatures? Or it is my fault that he ran from a somewhat strong-looking monster, because I left him to stand in a room, so he wouldn't die, while I was clearing out levels and searching for healing items? It is just that he was clearly leveling up properly, as he had only 3 encumbrance in the same armor, while I had 8-9 with 1 point in heavy armor maneuvering? And, he didn't run away while facing a blade-master in blue and a couple of guards in red at the same time (he still died though).

Tony

Insider
Now, in all seriousness, I have a question: Is it intended that people as villagers are to run when encountering such creatures? Or it is my fault that he ran from a somewhat strong-looking monster, because I left him to stand in a room, so he wouldn't die, while I was clearing out levels and searching for healing items? It is just that he was clearly leveling up properly, as he had only 3 encumbrance in the same armor, while I had 8-9 with 1 point in heavy armor maneuvering? And, he didn't run away while facing a blade-master in blue and a couple of guards in red at the same time (he still died though).
Every NPC has their own personality and traits. Derrin starts out as a cowardly farmhand then as he gains experience tends to become more confident in his own abilities. The fear and fleeing mechanics have quite a few variables they take into consideration but yes, it's normal for Derrin to flee from large creatures three times his size that are attempting to kill him.

Salexiss

but yes, it's normal for Derrin to flee from large creatures three times his size that are attempting to kill him.
Like any sane person who does not want to die a meaningless death.
Oh, so that what his name was.
Let's hope next time I'll be more careful, so he will become confident enough to oppose any enemy we might encounter.

Avramovic

Supporter
I like to interject here.

There is no wrong tactic, no act of bravery of cowardice for comparison and no deed wrong done when combating "Sir", because when you're up against a 6-meter tall monstrosity that has claws the size of your torso, you have only one goal and whatever means of achieving it is alright.

My personal preference is luring him into a toilet and then stabbing the bastard while he helplessly smacks against the wall.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.