A Lack of Transparency

Axiom

It's been almost a decade.

Don't get me wrong - Exanima is a great game. The themes, style and design are reminiscent of what was mentioned in Sui Generis. While taking place in the same universe, Exanima is different. This much was made apparent early on, and especially in the last update from Kickstarter - where things slowly but surely left the topic of Sui Generis and shifted over to what we have now.

I don't mean to scathe what has been done here - I enjoyed the dozen hours I put into Exanima. But there is obviously an elephant in the room that is being ignored. The field of play we are working with is a fraction of what was supposed- the level of freedom, exploration, and development is microscopic to what was promised.

1695769126287.png

The progress of Exanima is apparent. What started out as a tidbit to first enwind players into the universe of Sui Generis has become the mainstay of Bare Mettle - the showpiece. It has become painfully apparent that all developmental focus has shifted towards Exanima, and what has been coined a "tech-demo" of sorts, full of features from the main project, is now precisely that.

And that's fine.

When I first began playing Exanima some-odd six or seven years ago, I immediately knew that the game was something different. There isn't anything else quite like it on the market. And yet where Exanima fails to deliver - Sui Generis succeeded to promise. The game we are receiving updates for, is - and by all means - a very different title than what this project - this company - marketed their focus on. At least, that'd be what I would be saying.
1695769811024.png1695769821199.png
It doesn't take a genius to look between the two here and realize that Exanima is - for all intents and purposes, Sui Generis. That the development of Exanima isn't really a "precursor dating 20 years prior", and more or less the current adaptation to an ambitious and ultimately failed project, too wide of a scope for long-term success.
Harking on the developer(s) here isn't my intent. But there is obviously a clear lack in transparency that is quietly brushed away while things continue to keep on running, updates occasionally being pumped out each year while the contemporary community patiently waits, unaware or noncaring of what was initially promised.

And it's hard to blame them.

Of course, everything isn't cupcakes and rainbows. Game development is a difficult, often painful and exhaustive endeavor. I've taken my own few stabs with various projects, though nothing with the scope and developmental length that Sui Generis has promised to achieve, at whatever eventual cost.
1695770735975.png
Though the radio-silence isn't helping. It is abjectly clear that these two projects - both Sui Generis and Exanima are marketed to be different, with their own intents, ideas and philosophies. But we have only received experience on one of these, and seldom anything recent beyond summarizations in the coffee-house.

What I mean to make clear here isn't weather or not Exanima is the focus of the project, that much is obvious. It's a better understanding of where Bare Mettle is headed - what the fans of this aging series are supposed to look forwards to - if anything at all. This is a talented indie studio with massive potential and I feel it a shame that we have stood on an empty and uncommunicative stance on where the development of Sui Generis lies.

It's hard to reason that Sui Generis is being developed on at all. If development were to shift completely towards Exanima, (which it has) - most of the contemporary playerbase wouldn't really care. Not that it would've changed anything. But the importance of communication in a project like this is key.

There is a no-longer a clear distinction between these two titles anymore. If Sui Generis is the flagship series, than Exanima is the only thing to show for it. If there is no development goals towards Sui Generis existing, then I feel saddened and confused as to why there even needs to be a distinction between the two anymore, to pretend as if they are not the same game - and that, by all means of development, they always have been.

Thank you.

Attachments

Ganthor

I think you have a grand misunderstanding here. Exanima is the foundation, they are building the game engine and processes on Exanima so that these things can be polished and done by the time they want to focus on the story and other related additions for Sui Generis. Production of Sui Generis will not begin until the completion (or maybe near completion) of Exanima and that's been clearly communicated since the kickstarter. Yes it's taking a long time. Yes the devs are focusing more on the actual development than the interaction with the community. I think they're smart for doing that! I wouldn't want to build continuous hype if I were them until I was much much much closer and more certain of an end in sight.

You are not the first person to come into the forums or the discord with these sorts of and specific complaints. The devs know how agitated people are getting (and have been) about a "complete" game. They do not need you harassing them in the forums about how you personally really wish you had more insider info (and yes this is harassment, these are accusations intended to cause distress in order to illicit a response. "ultimately failed project" who the fuck are you). Dev times are long, insider info is scarce, but you'd be complaining MORE not less if they were more active in communicating their roadmap while developing at the current pace

Axiom

I think you have a grand misunderstanding here. Exanima is the foundation, they are building the game engine and processes on Exanima so that these things can be polished and done by the time they want to focus on the story and other related additions for Sui Generis. Production of Sui Generis will not begin until the completion (or maybe near completion) of Exanima and that's been clearly communicated since the kickstarter.
To quote exactly what is written:
The purpose of Exanima is to give all of you something to play and provide feedback on as we complete development of Sui Generis. It is also designed as a standalone game that we can release to raise further funds for the final stretch of development.

Yes it's taking a long time. Yes the devs are focusing more on the actual development than the interaction with the community
Development did not start on Exanima. It started on Sui Generis. Is it wrong to assume that has shifted if there has not been a single community announcement towards Sui in several years, and exclusively Exanima?

This isn't to say there's an issue with that - most of the community probably wouldn't mind. But transparency on where the focus of the project is to be headed is key.

You are not the first person to come into the forums or the discord with these sorts of and specific complaints. The devs know how agitated people are getting (and have been) about a "complete" game.
Nobody is asking them to finish the game overnight. The initial Kickstarter subscribers who did have long since left.
Briefly shouting to the void "Hey! We're still working on X! It's going to take a lot of time." is not going to put a wrench in the treads of development. Dead silence over a period of months is one thing. Over years, is another.

They do not need you harassing them in the forums about how you personally really wish you had more insider info.
There is a difference between "scarce insider information" and a decade of dead silence.
You can only expect someone to knock at a door so many times before they assume nobody is home.

And yes this is harassment, these are accusations intended to cause distress in order to illicit a response.
You and I both know that isn't what harassment means. I'm well aware I'm not the first and probably not the last person to ask similar questions, or to assume similar things. But look around you. Swiping all concerns aside and poise them as attempts at attacking or causing distress is toxic and purposefully misinterpreted beyond what they are - concerns, even if harsh ones. They would not be painted in the first place if there was communication.

but you'd be complaining MORE not less if they were more active in communicating their roadmap while developing at the current pace
If there was a 'roadmap' showing goals from where they intended to go from 2018-2030 I would not assume what I already have. Because there would be communication. Goals; even if vague and more gaseous than specific, are better than absolutely nothing.

I would not be writing this response to you otherwise.

Natusake

A question I have. How will BareMettle know they are "done" with the engine and foundation they are using Exanima to create in order to then work on Sui Generis? Is there like a very specific roadmap and development goals internally that they have? How close are we to the end, and how long is the remainder expected to take?

I hope BareMettle has been cooking up something fucking fierce otherwise this would be like the biggest rage of blue balls I'll ever experience in my life and having balls that blue is going to be fucked and painful. On the other hand, the greatest, most DELICIOUS bite of dungeon crawling and gameplay mechanic since Diablo II.

ronardo

Developers have no idea how to develop and they refuse to get help. They are comfortable with the current situation and don't care about the kickstarter backers

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.