Analysis: Feint vs Remise

WhiteCat

Abstract
Slash and backslash (or vice versa) can be chained together using feint. How is this different from remise, which also chains slash and backslash? I did an analysis on timing as well as the use of these skills in combat.

Experimental Setup

1. Arena > Practice > Novice
  2. When you finish character creation, immediately backup so the first opponent doesn't start attacking you.
  3. Press K to bring up the skills menu.
  4. Delete the skills you don't want to test out.
  5. I used a cell phone to record a video, then looked at the videos on my phone with a software that let me move through the footage in tenths of a second. This was the easiest setup for me and it also let me record the click audio from my mouse as the starting point to time the strike.
  6. I used the sword. I probably should have used a heavier weapon so the timing differences would be more exaggerated.
Results
Slash then backslash:
Normal: 2.2 s from click to beginning of second swoosh
Remise: 1.5 s from click to beginning of second swoosh
Feint: 1.3 s from click to beginning of second swoosh

1. Feint is faster at chaining the backlash than remise, but only as long as your strikes do not successfuly damage the opponent. Once a strike damages the opponent, feint no longer adds speed to your attacks---at least as far as I could tell; I didn't test this in combat. If feint does add speed to a strike that hits, then it's still significantly slower than a strike that does not hit.
    As far as I can tell, though, the speed of feint still applies if your weapon hits your opponent but is somehow blocked.
    Either way, use feint when you miss the opponent.
  2. If the first strike makes a clean hit, remise immediately follows. (A clean hit means the weapon does not get stuck on the opponent or their weapon.)
    Use remise when your strike makes a clean hit on the opponent.
I feel these two skills are well designed as they have a similar effect (more than one swing) but in very different contexts (clean strike versus a miss). However, I feel the tool tip should explain these differences in more detail.

I'm still a bit unsure about whether feint makes striking even with hits faster. Does anyone know if there's a change?

How do these results match up with everyone's experience? :)

Last edited:

Solinarius

(I don't know what's up wtih these forums as of late, but I can't reply using Firefox or Chrome anymore. Internet Explorer barely works. Can't believe I had to use IE...)

You should probably rephrase the effects of Feint/Remise as recovery reduction, rather than "speed".
I can't really comment on numbers, but from my experience, Feint's timing advantage feels faster than a mere 200 milliseconds. I assume "the sword" means 'rusty two-handed sword' (which is what I just tested). As far as I know, the only things that affects recovery of hits is encumbrance, the chosen weapon, and whether you held or released your attack before it landed.
I feel these two skills are well designed as they have a similar effect (more than one swing) but in very different contexts (clean strike versus a miss). However, I feel the tool tip should explain these differences in more detail.
I'll add that Remise benefits light weapon users much more than others, though I'm not sure if it would be a good idea for the tooltip reflect that.

Last edited:

Syllabear3

What is a backslash?

A feinted remise?

You use that to bait an oponent.
You use a clean remise when you hit your target.

But feint and remise are two diferent things.
You can feint any attack any amount of times.
Remise allows you to make a second slash in the oposite direction from the first one, be left to right or right to left.

Last edited:

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.