Basic combat tutorial

Vold

Insider
Good job man.

Could you add some other basic stuff, like:

1. Keep the mouse pointer close to the opponent, and move it to the sides to block and add momentum to the swings based on the turning of the body.
2. Modify the pointer speed (from outside of the game), if you have problems to control the movment of the character (turning backwards in the middle of the combat, losing the pointer position, etc.

Last edited:

Nynuc

Insider
Good job man.

Could you add some other basic stuff, like:

1. Keep the mouse pointer close to the opponent, and move it to the sides to block and add momentum to the swings based on the turning of the body.
2. Modify the pointer speed (from outside of the game), if you have problems to control the movment of the character (turning backwards in the middle of the combat, losing the pointer position, etc.
I'll probably end up making anouther tutorial showing off techniques and little things in the future

Brent

Insider
And here I was stumbling around like an idiot holding down the left mouse button :p

Thanks for that.

Fatman

Insider
Would a video representation of the QuickStart Guide help to reinforce the text?
^

As they say, a picture means a thousand words... or in this case a video :p

Being able to visualise inputs and actions would certainly help a lot more than a simple text explanation.

If I had of viewed this video upon downloading the exanima beta for the first time... damn it would have helped enormously. The countless hours I spent trying to figure out the basics of this video the hard way...

Either way, having some kind of visual representation of the text guide would go a long way to helping out newcomers in my opinion.

Thanks @Fatman, I really haven't been able to get the idea out of my head and it's something I might begin tomorrow night.

I think it would work by simply narrating the given text whilst demonstrating each mechanic. After each section add some small tips relevant to the mechanic. A neat idea I had was to demonstrate each mechanic while role playing as an arena combatant :)
This might be a bit of an undertaking but if done well, I think it would prove invaluable especially given the door issues. Seriously, peoples inability to open doors escapes me haha

Faelivrin

Insider
Adding an in-game video as tutorial would also be significantly easier development wise than a tutor NPC as discussed somewhere else. Yes, less eye candy or immersive. But still it would be more practical than a wall of text, and i think it could achieve better results. I would say it is a good short term solution.

Is there any information you would particularly request be made known or kept secret? I'm juggling some ideas on how to present certain information, I think anything exploration related will be presented as "in-home" where I set up a comfy, Exanima room to look inhabited. Doors opening, using keys, props, and books make sense here because they have no place in the Arena. However, any combat information would then shift to the Arena (cleared of any bodies) to showcase.

Vold

Insider
I guess that almodt everything could be shown in the first room of the dungeon with the exception of the iron doors, keys, and others ( blue...). And also against the first novice arena opponent.

@Vold Which was my first thought. But the reason for the video is to alleviate the frustrations many have faced, some specifically in that front room, while teaching newcomers in a refreshing or interesting way. I think by offering a role-played view of the dungeon to present the ideas may entice some frustrated individuals to bolster their efforts for another run.

Difficult. Certain things are easy to showcase, opening doors and items, containers, even basic strategies can be explained meaningfully. But initial optimism was quickly met with frustration on account of changing controls (understandable), depth of certain aspects (what can you really do right now, which is A LOT) but also by the Quickstart Guide itself. I've found that it could use an update in certain areas and some restructuring to make things flow better. Currently, I'm still in the process of recording and trying to plan my dialogue. It's quite difficult to speak in-depth about everything while playing the game expertly (which should be assumed by any viewer).

That was my first realization :)
Even then, it's hard to write up a formal list of what you can do in this game. On top of everything, it's getting close to finals for me and I've already been having problems with publishing my videos thanks to Movie Maker and Vegas Pro.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.