Character options

As the game will not feature "classes," how open will our options as far as class-like specialization be?
It's a given that one could easily become a warrior, sneak, or wizard given some proper skill use, but what of the more specialized character archetypes that lend depth, immersion, and general awesomeness to many RPGs?

One of my favorite classic character types is the Bard. Music was a large part of culture in the times surrounding the Middle Ages from which SG is drawing, so will this come along into the game? And if so, to what extent? Will Bards be respected, or urchins begging on the street? On a more extreme scale, will I be able to aim to be someone like this:

or this:

Another character type I adore is the Cleric. Whether playing a zealot devoted to smiting all un-believers or a kind brother or sister who helps those in need, servitude to a deity is a favorite of mine in RPGs. This also brings up the question of religion in Sui Generis: Will there be a dominant church? Will the God(s) of this realm be active and well-known, or abstract and uncertain?

I would like for my guy to play mandolin or whatever in taverns in his free time, and then stave off creatures with it when they ambush him playing, but I don't think it should have any role in combat. Singing shouldn't either.

walltar

Insider
It would be amazing until your mandolin exploded into a bunch of useless scraps after it made contact with something :p
Well then you can take strings of your old mandolin and play game "agent 47 style"

I would like for my guy to play mandolin or whatever in taverns in his free time, and then stave off creatures with it when they ambush him playing, but I don't think it should have any role in combat. Singing shouldn't either.
And for you ...

Cooper Holt

Insider
If you're a bard and you're backed up into a corner, then the flute, drum, or mandolin that you have with you will suffice. But singing and playing in combat? No. Just no.

I want to be a war-axe / machete-axe wielding necromancer who helps those in need. Possible? I think so. :D

Reactions: Rob

Tony Dye

Insider
When I think about bards, I think about how in Assassin's Creed you get less notoriety for murdering a bard on the street than you do for punching him in the face.

This is because the townsfolk in Assassin's Creed prefer them dead.

calithlin

Insider
Now, what -could- happen... hiring a personal minstrel! Or Troubadour. Whichever is your fancy.

A few coppers for an afternoon of entertainment as they praise your battles against rats and skeletons. Until, you know, they get ripped to bits and you can collect your coin once more. That or they decide it's not so smart following into such dangerous places and they high-tail it out of there.

SergeDavid

Insider
I do want to be able to equip some bagpipes on my midget so as I ride upon my mighty sheep I can serenade the wilderness. The biggest thing would use your musical skills as a means for making money or changing someones mood before schmoozing them up. I could equip some rags and a flute and go stand on a corner in the capital and wait for people to throw me coins, then I'll yell at them "HEY YOU KIDS GET OFF MY LAWN!"

TheScythian

Insider
Now, what -could- happen... hiring a personal minstrel! Or Troubadour. Whichever is your fancy.

A few coppers for an afternoon of entertainment as they praise your battles against rats and skeletons. Until, you know, they get ripped to bits and you can collect your coin once more. That or they decide it's not so smart following into such dangerous places and they high-tail it out of there.
You'd have to be careful who you hired as a minstrel, some of them wouldn't be good for morale...

Reactions: Rob

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.