Combat suggestions, alternative wielding styles depending on wounds

this game here called Kenshi http://www.lofigames.com/ has a unique wound system thats getting developed all the time, eventually you will lose limbs or your head and if you lose your sword arm, thats it you cannot wield your sword, and when you lose one arm you switch to a modified form to compensate.

to be honest, this is a unique system not done in games before or often. not in RPGs anyway.

so i was thinking in Sui Generis, when u get more animations in this would be great to add!

pls consider

Omenov

Insider
Kenshi is cool and a lot different then this game. I agree the system they have is neat but I don't think we need it in this one. If you lose an arm you should die. Although I could see having a broken arm then maybe you switch hands or loose the use of the shield. Have it drop to the ground. But I think the combat is cool enough without trying to make it too realistic just having each weapon be wielded differently and actually seeing the weightyness of it is spectacular!! They already said that food and rest are out because it can get tedious and I feel wound management would be just as tedious if it goes into long term ailments such as dismemberment and broken bones. Just my 2 cents

Rich869

Insider
Hey guys, been playing lot of the combat demo, I like the improvement in the movement and speed.
My biggest feed back is
Pros
  1. Awesome tech, I can understand how hard it is to create all this systems.
  2. The weapon interactions are really cool and awesome to look at.
  3. Hit impact is powerful.
  4. Distance and foot work is fun to master
  5. Great visual and details

Things I think can be improved
Controls-
feel very clumsy and hard to learn, maybe its just me sucking but when I ask few others who tried it all feel the same. I don't mind the game it self been hard and difficult to master but having to deal with unreliable control and camera while in middle of the fight is more frustrating than fun.

Limited attack type,
So far I don't know how you can Stab with the weapon and just having slash and over head attack feel a bit limiting. I understand the scroll wheel is used to zoom, but have you guys tried to use another key like hold Alt to scroll in and out for zooming? This can leave the scroll wheel free for stab or heavy overhead attack, eg, scroll wheel forward for stab, and back for heavy overhead. I would think having more combat controls is more important than zooming in a game play mechanical sense. I know combat is not the only part of game but I think its at its core for most people who will be playing this game, and it is what sets it apart form other games.

Right Click
Right click is for moving now, but in combat you will never have to use it since You have to use WASD to move and fight. Why not use that for parry or Overhead attack? You can still have it for moving when you are out of combat stance. I find more than once I Right click by instinct and started to move in combat and got me killed.

Camera
I m not sure if there is already plans to improve the camera controls but I would like to see an auto follow option that will always be behind the character, biggest reason is in a fight i like to have my enemy in front of me/top of the screen. With the WASD control I always end up getting confused in the direction i am moving to when i have to rotate the camera,

I hope those feed back are helpful, if its all been said before sorry for repeating it.
I love this games concept and really like to see it reach its full glory, Keep up the good work

tiny lampe

Insider
Things I think can be improved
Controls
Limited attack type
Right Click
Camera
Hi Rich,

The perception that controls feel clumsy and unresponsive is commonplace among new players. On that topic, Madoc says:

a lot of people have a basic issue with the combat, at least at first, in that they perceive it as more unresponsive because every single motion needs to be well timed and coordinated, unlike most games where you can always instantly perform any action without any regard for the laws of physics. It's a bit like the difference between playing snake and a driving simulator, you will not be able to do that instant sharp 90 degree turn in the latter. Some people seem to just be frustrated by this. That's never going to change no matter how sophisticated the animation system is, characters will never virtually teleport into new motions without any inertia.
As for the limited attack types; stabs are in but they have not been made available yet. At this point, we don't know whether each weapon will have a normal attack and a single special attack (either stab or overhead) or a normal attack and two special attacks (both a stab and an overhead).

Right click will be used for thaumaturgy (magic) in later builds.

Regarding the camera, the auto-follow option you requested is actually available under options (but disabled by default). The devs do not recommend it though and it may be discontinued in later builds. The reason is that fighting sideways (fighting game's perspective) is very useful to accurately measure distances between you and the opponent so you don't necessarily want the opponent to be in front of you all the time. Personally, I'd recommend that you get comfortable fighting opponents from any angle. If you do this you won't have to rotate the camera at all and you will be able to focus on the opponents instead of fighting both the opponents and the camera.

Last edited:

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.