Concerning the Pure Mage

Solinarius

From what I can gather about thaumaturgy, it seems that one may always need a melee or ranged weapon, at least for quite a while. Will thaumaturgy ever be practical/powerful enough to replace all other combat forms for one that is committed to it?

Food for thought: I played a well done (if crude) mod for The Elders Scrolls: Oblivion, called Duke Patrick's Combat Magic II. It added a whole combat form that had foundations in European martial arts. Offenses include discharging instant but weaker arcs of energy, saturated (slow-moving) energy bolts, and charged fist attacks for close range. Defenses included the "Omni Shield" which worked similarly to actual shields (albeit, indestructible energy) and an incorporeal form that allowed one to dodge attacks, letting them pass harmlessly through the body. The best thing about this mod was that even a modest warrior could challenge a high level mage of this mod. Shields (or a weapon, with very high skills) can block all damage that one could dish out using the combat magic. The style of this "magic" would suit combat in Exanima quite well, in my opinion.

NachoDawg

I doubt there will be a pure mage.. but maybe? I mean, I can picture a necromaster being able to pull it off, but I doubt they'll design a way to play without using the most important gameplay gimmick: The physicsbased combat

Iscandar

In order for there to be extraordinarily powerful and skilled thaumaturges as you suggest, the world would need still-functioning schools, books, and teachers. As it appears to be, thaumaturgy is almost entirely a lost art, to the extent where "magic" is believed to be non-existent. The main character would never have the resources available to hone their skill into a fine art.

Conkids

Insider
In order for there to be extraoyou would have to berdinarily powerful and skilled thaumaturges as you suggest, the world would need still-functioning schools, books, and teachers. As it appears to be, thaumaturgy is almost entirely a lost art, to the extent where "magic" is believed to be non-existent. The main character would never have the resources available to hone their skill into a fine art.
I kind of agree with you Iscandar about not a fine art, but if you check the game section you can still gleam knowledge of thaumaturgy, and they haves said to progress thaumaturgy you would absorb the minds of thaumaturges and upgrade your skill. So I believe you can play a pure mage but you would have to put your skills to good use probably use a staff or fists and be good at dodging, and you would have to be strategic.

Tony

Insider
I kind of agree with you Iscandar about not a fine art, but if you check the game section you can still gleam knowledge of thaumaturgy, and they haves said to progress thaumaturgy you would absorb the minds of thaumaturges and upgrade your skill. So I believe you can play a pure mage but you would have to put your skills to good use probably use a staff or fists and be good at dodging, and you would have to be strategic.
While fist fighting is a planned feature it will never be ideal and should only be used when you don't want to kill someone.

Becoming skilled at thaumaturgy will not be easy so a player should not expect to start the game off blasting everyone to death. Likewise, a player will need to increase both their skills and power; if the player depletes their focus bar they will no longer be able to cast until it replenishes.

Conkids

Insider
Oh so it was a focus bar, I can see why one of the skills was meditating, is it to replenish your focus bar.

Solinarius

I can imagine a way to hook "casting" into the physics by way of somatic incantation. Incantations could simply be a mnemonic device to more easily allow one's mind to shape power for a desired outcome. I don't think it would be overpowered if the offensive powers were able to be resisted in a similar manner to normal physical attacks. Like in that Combat Magic mod.

zhuliks

Insider
Magic upgrade mechanics should be physics based - in order to be a successful pure mage you make tallest fattest character possible and fight by falling onto enemies, while over them on the ground you absorb their mind together with all the rest, becoming bigger and fatter.

On the highest levels you would just literally roll through the world absorbing everything and shooting lightning in all directions.

Conkids

Insider
You know thaumaturgy is my third most anticipated feature first being reactive a.i, and ranged weapons...now that I think about it probably is stealth.

Ranged weapons and then thaumaturgy are my most anticipated atm. Stealth and traps/puzzles and dialogue are up next in my list :D

Good lord I wish I could teleport two years into the future and play Baremettle's games...

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.