Darkness

Valvar

I just wanted to speak my mind on the topic of darkness. Most games fail to do darkness properly. They always provide the player with ample light-sources, and during the night there is either the moon and/or a "backlit" starry sky illuminating the world. Even if there is no moon or stars, it is usually fully possible to see your environments and the darkness is represented by a blue hue.
This is not okay!
When it is night and the sky is covered in clouds, or when you are in a cave without any light source, or in a dark forest, you shouldn't see anything! In the cave, it should be pitch black.
When you then light a torch, it should be your lifeline. When walking down the dank corridors of a dungeon, you will want to be carrying a sword in one hand and a torch in the other. And when you get in a fight, you can burn faces :mad:
There are very few games that have done it right, but among them was Mortal Online. It was one of the most immersive games that I ever played (sadly lacking in many other aspects), and a large part of that was the pitch black nights. You'd get lost outside cities in the night, even if the moon was out. You could see the things close to you, but landmarks were near impossible to spot in the darkness. Not to mention how amazing(ly scary) it was if a player, giant spider or orc popped out of the darkness at an armlengths distance. Unfortunately they greatly nerfed this due to gammahackers.
Lightsources - if there are only undead in the dungeon, it makes no sense to leave magically lit torches along the corridor walls. Maybe goblins and bandits do that and that's fine, but please think carefully about how you provide light sources.
I can see the counter-arguments here. "But it's a game! Games are made to be fun, not realistic!". True darkness, in my opinion, adds a lot of immersion and makes the game even more fun. If players really don't like the darkness they should just be able to up the gamma (or find somewhere to rest until dawn).

Tony

Insider
Excellent post! I agree that darkness adds a new element to games that helps to improve immersion. I've played a few games in the past that have had this feature and in none of them did I find it bothersome. Caves, dungeons, castle ruins and just running around exploring the wilderness in the dark is an awesome experience. With the dynamic lighting the devs have already demonstrated it should be no problem to implement such a feature. It can also add a great role-playing experience since the devs stated that sneaking into places and stealing will be an option. What better time to sneak around than in the dark?

BrecMadak

Insider
Darkness... Its like swinging your blunt instrument towards pitch blackness in the hope of hitting to an obstacle. Hahaha...
Before Dark Souls, there was Blade of Darkness that handles greatly "real time shadows/light" the very first game that presented it at the time actually. But still i'd say better if Sui Generis would use a reduced light source in indoors to let us live fear in the best possible way that is caused by 'anything can come out off the shadows' mind.

I for one would really like to feel streched and not sure when going towards in the shadows. Oh that great feeling of getting lost... is brilliantly pure.

MrIdontKnow

Insider
I just wanted to speak my mind on the topic of darkness. Most games fail to do darkness properly. They always provide the player with ample light-sources, and during the night there is either the moon and/or a "backlit" starry sky illuminating the world. Even if there is no moon or stars, it is usually fully possible to see your environments and the darkness is represented by a blue hue.
This is not okay!
When it is night and the sky is covered in clouds, or when you are in a cave without any light source, or in a dark forest, you shouldn't see anything! In the cave, it should be pitch black.
When you then light a torch, it should be your lifeline. When walking down the dank corridors of a dungeon, you will want to be carrying a sword in one hand and a torch in the other. And when you get in a fight, you can burn faces :mad:
There are very few games that have done it right, but among them was Mortal Online. It was one of the most immersive games that I ever played (sadly lacking in many other aspects), and a large part of that was the pitch black nights. You'd get lost outside cities in the night, even if the moon was out. You could see the things close to you, but landmarks were near impossible to spot in the darkness. Not to mention how amazing(ly scary) it was if a player, giant spider or orc popped out of the darkness at an armlengths distance. Unfortunately they greatly nerfed this due to gammahackers.
Lightsources - if there are only undead in the dungeon, it makes no sense to leave magically lit torches along the corridor walls. Maybe goblins and bandits do that and that's fine, but please think carefully about how you provide light sources.
I can see the counter-arguments here. "But it's a game! Games are made to be fun, not realistic!". True darkness, in my opinion, adds a lot of immersion and makes the game even more fun. If players really don't like the darkness they should just be able to up the gamma (or find somewhere to rest until dawn).
I posted a thread in 'Gameplay' under the title of 'Realistic Gameplay, and this is a great idea, but I think in caves there should few lights, but many light sources that can be lit, for example oil lanterns hung up on the wall, but what you said is right, no electricity then, so paths between towns and cities will be pitch black and only people travelling will offer some light.

Good ideas man!

hredthel

Insider
In full agreement with you, Tony.

One of the bazillion wonderfull things about Dx11 is its use of Occlusion Fog. To my eyes: It's as if the darkness is a thick dismal sludge. The values actually determine how far dynamic and direct light can travel, regardless of its strength in lumens (or whatever the game engine uses as a value for lights idk..), and you can add some spectacular particle systems to simulate dust in the air or gasses (or whatever you fancy).

That being said, I think the Sui Generis engine will have a very convincing and enjoyable darkness due to the developers skills and the tech at hand today. I don't think we are seeing it in current games much because that sort of dark-themed atmosphere doesn't sell in the massive market of gamers who want to have cool looking raid-gear or camouflage paint on their guns.

@BrecMadak
Thank you for that link: I had no idea about that game!

Nightblaze1

Insider
I completely agree! Not only would it add increased immersion into the game, but I can just imagine how good it would look running around the dark with only a torch or lantern to illuminate the stunning environment around you! :)

unwoundpath

Insider
Running through the woods, nighttime. Dark. Can't see a thing, torch in hand, lost, suddenly, a from behind the shadow of a tree... A skeleton. then 5 more from others. run.

hredthel

Insider
... And you only had the burning wake of your onslaught to light your path!!

My first "oh shit, its dark!" since Quake was in Half Life 2, where you had to wait for the elevator while fighting off zombies in that car park. It was pitch black besides the lit elevator shaft, and you could shoot barrels and gas cans to change the dynamic lighting drastically. Sui Generis already is doing a better job of this and I'm so f-ing stoked to see what dark environments will be like!

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.