Decrypting the map in level 2

Homiccus

Here are my thoughts.
The map I think is titled: East Rivermarsh Area
The rose in the upper left corner is definitely N E S W.
What follows is explanation of map markings:
Key:
Moorings ?
.... Fort ?
Underworld ?

The scale used in making this map is in the bottom right.
The names of the hills are visible in eastern part of the map. Name of the river and main tract/road also. However, without higher resolution I won't be able to decipher much more, try as I might...

And on the purpose of the map:

I'm sure this map shows the local area and will lend hand in understanding what this place used to be when built and for what purpose. We've obviously only got the minority of pieces in this gigantic jigsaw puzzle and the local names do not seem to appear in other written material.
This mystery will have to wait I think...

I'm itching to hear what others think.

EDIT: I think playing around with graphical settings might sharpen it a bit, but it's still a lo-res.

Last edited:

Roryn

Insider
Ok I've got the key on the left.

In order:
Moorings (thanks Homiccus)
Watchers
Forest Fork
Underearth (That's where we are!)... could that be the location of the large barricaded entrance we saw in the first level?

In order:
Watchers
Forest Fork
Underearth (That's where we are!)... could that be the location of the large barricaded entrance we saw in the first level?
We're still not sure what that barricade is for. and it's high possible that it's still wip

Roryn

Insider
We're still not sure what that barricade is for. and it's high possible that it's still wip
Ah yes that's true. Still, if the barricaded door isn't the entrance, I bet that the entrance on the map is not too far from the room where they were planning. They probably wouldn't be planning whatever they were planning too far away from where they were planning it.

bobchaos

We do know what the barricade is for: If you guys recall, while the garrison was busy tunneling into the underworld, they were also under assault in the war the necromancer mentions his ancestors won. The barricade was probably against the nameless enemy (maybe the conservers?) that waged war on the underworld explorers.

Homiccus

We do know what the barricade is for: If you guys recall, while the garrison was busy tunneling into the underworld, they were also under assault in the war the necromancer mentions his ancestors won.
I would beg to differ on this one.
The necromancer (Thaven) doesn't have a clue about wars or indeed what the outpost was used for. He only speculates that these people were defeated by antecedents of his civilisation - a logical conclusion since there are no records and no living memory of the people once living in the outpost and Thaven's people are alive and well.
My personal theory is that the outpost had close ties with the Underearth (let's assume it is levels 4 and beyond) and was staffed by human mercenaries and slaves. Their only task was to capture slaves with a single purpose of using their life force in creation of Gölems and other wonders of technology, such as ever-glowing lamps and healing salves.
I further speculate that the outpost (ie. levels 1 through to 3) is the actual Forest Fort positioned in the centre of the map. It is placed strategically near the main east-west road, crossroads visible in the northeastern part of the map, as well as the river, which would probably have been used for transport of goods (hence the places called Moorings). The watchers are just that - places where scouts would lie in wait and give the signal when 'prey' approached. Another fact supporting this theory is the abundance of wood in the outpost - and not only planks but mainly logs and whatnot.
Following this theory, after several sudden disappearances of caravans / boats / villagers etc. the local governor / government reacted by sending the standing army. The inhabitants of the outpost made their last stand - hence the barricade.
To be fair, this theory has its weak points - such as the highly organised character of the fort and 'munitions' style armouries. It is entirely possible that the fort was built there to keep watch over the threats emerging from the Underearth to the west (the main entrance is facing west) and humans did prevail in combat only to be slain by supernatural means and subsequently reanimated...
Let us know what you think.

Last edited:

Homiccus

Thanks. I've already read your interpretation and found it coherent and informative.
There are some finer points I will want to argue but this will have to wait till tomorrow I'm afraid.
o_O

reidoguy

In order:
Watchers
Forest Fork
Forest Fork? do you mean Forest Fort? ( A fork would require a path that would lead to a two way)
also a mooring is an anchor of a boat or a place where a boat is anchored, thus why it's line along the river.

Last edited:

Roryn

Insider
Forest Fork? do you mean Forest Fort? ( A fork would require a path that would lead to a two way)
also a mooring is an anchor of a boat or a place where a boat is anchored, thus why it's line along the river.
Ah, now that you mention it, it does look like forest fort. I thought maybe it was forest fork because if you look near the symbol, there is a path that splits.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.