Do we want Sui Generis or Sui Generic?

Tony

Insider
What I find to be mildly amusing and somewhat ironic is... most everyone sings high praise about Sui Generis because of its promise to deliver innovation and to do things in new ways; yet some still ask for the devs to copy so many things from other games. "I hope this new and innovative game copies this or that from such and such a game!" :confused:

What I personally find exciting about Sui Generis is the new and innovative way(s) of doing things instead of directly borrowing things from other games. I believe that the fewer ideas Bare Mettle borrow from other games the better Sui Generis will be. Wasn't this the main reason Bare Mettle decided to create Sui Generis (according to their pitch video) in the first place?

Psychomorph

Insider
Good things are worth copying and almost any game has some good features. My "dream game" is basically a mixture between Thief, Unreal, Tomb Raider, Rainbow Six, Ultima Underworld and some couple of more. We are all influenced by something that was influenced by something. No shame in that.
Bare Mettle is very much influenced by some things that came before, but tries to approach it from a very different angle.

Truth is, if you want to create something you have to have some substance to begin with. Only the Gods can create from nothing.

Tony

Insider
Of course there will be similarities between Sui Generis and other games. And if they do borrow things from other games then obviously I'd hope for it to be the good traits and not the bad. Innovation usually involves taking an idea and expanding or improving upon it. An example:
We've got some pretty cool features planned for our inventory system. We're going to be using a "slotless" inventory system. In practice this means there's over a hundred slots and you don't see them. This allows you to equip many combinations of things, rather than being limited to articles of clothing or armour that cover a fixed part of your character's body.
To make clothes we use a dedicated cloth simulator and other tools we've developed. This allows us to make realistic clothes very quickly and easily. It also allows clothes to change depending on what else you're wearing. For example, long trousers will tuck into boots realistically.
This seems a lot more innovative than the standard fixed-slot inventory system you see in most RPGs. Another example is the procedural physics based combat. It's this type of innovation that excites me much more than any idea they may decide to borrow from a different game.

SergeDavid

Insider
At this point we're just throwing hopes and dreams at the wall to release ourselves from the horrible wait until we can get our hands on the game.

Algea

Insider
I want chekpoints every 5 minutes, automatic health regeneration, and an npc telling me what to do and where to go like I'm 3 year old, please!

Also, rename it to Call of Generis
What do you mean Call of Generis? That should be named Call of Generic!:D

Tony

Insider
I hope this isn't in response to my apparently terrible ideas in the thaumaturge / powers thread haha
Nope, I didn't open this thread as a response to any one thread. I just wanted to encourage people to let loose and think big. I'm sure we've all been playing a game when we stop and think "this game would be so much better if it had a such and such a feature". These are the type of ideas I'd like for people to share. Why limit our ideas to what has already been done instead of what can possibly be? Who knows, maybe the devs will think some or our ideas are worthy of being added to Sui Generis!

m3rlino

Hello everybody! I've found this topic interesting, partly I agree with Tony and partly with Psychomorph. I wanted to tell a story that has happened to me. Sui generis remembered me of a MUD game that it was created in Italy 12 years ago, so I looked for it and I started to play it again.
Its name is "The Gate". It's an rpg based on a fantasy world, where there is not eXPerience point system and other typical systems there are in other rpgs. Everything is base on roleplaying, social life in the game.
There are guilds, traditions, religion, unfortunately there is no graphic, but everything is made with text.
The client of the mud is an ad-hoc client where it shows a bit of environment where the story should take place.
Also the equipment depends on char strenght and on the objects, but there aren't body slots.
So there are many similiraties with sui generis, except for the environment that it is a lord of the rings-like env.
See you

Infidel

Insider
I want chekpoints every 5 minutes, automatic health regeneration, and an npc telling me what to do and where to go like I'm 3 year old, please!

Also, rename it to Call of Generis
That sounds like 10 of the best selling games last year, and the year before that. Unless I'm mistaken and they were all the same game, but I'm sure I remember slightly different box art each time...

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.