Exanima 0.4.2 Beta Released

@Madoc
An idea to toy around with would be to move the camera align key from space bar and make it a toggle function on another key; to assign Dash to the 'spacebar' + in whichever direction is being held.

I use the align key a lot in fights it is just too difficult to try and fight with the camera not behind me. So I would need a way to still keep the camera behind me. I like the idea of toggling it on and off rather than having to keep micro managing it as I do now in between swings which can cost me dearly and sometimes make myself face the wrong direction.

In out of combat mode the player can still have direct control by holding the key and moving the mouse like normal which would automatically toggle the auto align off until toggled back on by the player.

This to me sounds like a real good balance between all things. Dashes would feel more natural like jumping. I assume at this point there isn't any jumping planned.

I also have an idea on the cursor control that wouldn't defeat the idea or take away from it; but make it much easier, as well as even making the controls compatible with controllers, if anyone was interested in doing so. Often times the cursor is lost to me and I have to spend precious time searching for it and getting it back in the fight. While in combat mode the cursor stays within a designated radius of the player. Also potentially making things a little snappier on the players side. During combat there just isn't any use for the cursor to be any further than any kind of interactions the player can make within the environment. Unless of course this would hinder future additions in the system we are unaware of.

Crouching in combat is awesome I hope for some methods of using it to my advantage for it is also a risky move that gets me inside my opponent's defenses if I am successful.

In the first area of the Arena a trainer padded and the player padded using blunt weapons could have a bout taking no damage that lasts until the player is ready to move on to an actual match.

It would be nice in the final version of Exanima that whatever the player earned in the Arena could be found in an appropriate chest in the dungeon / campaign. I'm sure it wouldn't be difficult to tie in some reasoning for this into the story. This would encourage players to at least play through some of the Arena mode first. And would reward those that did for however far they were able to get.

In Lords of the Fallen there is a nice visual aid given when the player times their attacks properly to maximize the efficiency. This is a good idea to help train the players brain and let them know when they did the timing right instead of thinking and wonder; yeah I guess I did it. It is little more than a sheen on the blade and a sound cue. This is something worth considering.

Often in the heat of combat I am unsure whether I dealt damage to an enemy combatant or if I received damage. Even the audible sounds made can only tell me someone received a blow but can leave the player guessing as to whom in tight situations. This means in order to know I have to look down and away from the fight for a brief second. A slight screen flash could easily remedy this as well as adding a sort of shock value to the player.

A simple small blur could be added to the screen working its way inward as more damage is accumulated with a small pulsating of a heartbeat as death draws near. This is all subtle and adds an added layer of realism and feedback that can be very important as well as tense.

Last edited:
Finally made it through the Novice Arena. I was disappointed in that I couldn't loot the final guy to use the gear in the Expert Arena. That would be a very simple tweak to make.

Obviously one area the A.I. has an advantage is not having to be concerned with being able to see in darkly lit areas or having a good view.

Last edited:

Don Kanaille

Insider
Obviously one area the A.I. has an advantage is not having to be concerned with being able to see in darkly lit areas or having a good view.
To be fair, the only enemies you can fight in the dark are undead; part supernatural and part lacking self preservation. Even if they didnt have some sort of undead sense and couldnt see you, as long as they know you are somewhere near them they´ll probably just keep flailing around anyways.

Finally made it through the Novice Arena. I was disappointed in that I couldn't loot the final guy to use the gear in the Expert Arena. That would be a very simple tweak to make.
You don´t know disappointment until you defeat expert arena ;)

Soul-Burn

Insider
I like the door change, but doors with holes should be see through. There's the very cool shadow of the bars when using a torch, it makes sense we could see through it.

Thanks for the changes!

Holy.Death

Insider
To be fair, the only enemies you can fight in the dark are undead; part supernatural and part lacking self preservation. Even if they didnt have some sort of undead sense and couldnt see you, as long as they know you are somewhere near them they´ll probably just keep flailing around anyways.
Well, there is a difference between flailing around and hitting you where you are in total darkness. It got me interested to see how human enemies would act in total darkness when locked in combat with your character... In fact I'd like to see humans - if there will be humans - to use torches and other light sources to explore dark areas.

Elaxter

Insider
Thanks for this fix as always! There's a big improvement for me because I had to deal with the speedup slow down stuff. ( I still get it once and a while, but I can deal)

burgzaza

Insider
Wow this update sounds really cool ! :)
The change about not being able to see trough doors will change a lot of the bad habits I took, so, cool.
Downloading !

Scully

Insider
I can confirm the disappearing items (i.e torch) bug has not been fixed. Just got it for the fourth time now.

Scully

Insider
I didn't record it. All I did was remove the torch quickly from inventory throwing it on the ground, so I could swap to my longsword.

I'll see if I can replicate it and get it on video though.

Soul-Burn

Insider
Still getting stuck on walls at least 2-3 times per game. Many times that's what leads to my demise.
In combat mode, I walk backwards into a wall and suddenly I can't move at all at any direction or even turn around. My enemies get free strikes on my helpless body. I almost never rage quit from games, but this is infuriating.

Faelivrin

Insider
At the end of the day this game is still on beta. When i am unwilling to deal with the problems that an early access carry, i just wait for the first complete release.

Murf

Still getting stuck on walls at least 2-3 times per game. Many times that's what leads to my demise.
In combat mode, I walk backwards into a wall and suddenly I can't move at all at any direction or even turn around. My enemies get free strikes on my helpless body. I almost never rage quit from games, but this is infuriating.
Yeah I am getting it from time to time as well, usually RMB (while still in combat mode) gets me right off the wall. Now that I am expecting it, it hasn't caused any fatalities yet.

Octo

Insider
The spasming/rotating shield bug is back, although so far only with the brows rectangular one from the first arena.
Will try again to see if it's consistent.

Soul-Burn

Insider
I sometimes get my long hair stuck on geometry and it stretches :D
Quite funny when it happens to hair, less fun when it happens with a weapon, possibly getting stuck on the other side of the door.

Murf

I sometimes get my long hair stuck on geometry and it stretches :D
Quite funny when it happens to hair, less fun when it happens with a weapon, possibly getting stuck on the other side of the door.
Got the weapon stuck just today in the stream, Tony had a good idea, just equip and unequip quickest way to get it out. Can also try running, after a moment it un-sticks ya

Last edited:
I can confirm the disappearing items (i.e torch) bug has not been fixed. Just got it for the fourth time now.
My torch disappeared on me as well in the second area while I was dragging if from my paper doll out onto the field. I was in a long hall in a dark corner the hall was narrow with lots of wall braces. I didn't get a photo of the exact spot and am not familiar enough with area 2 yet to get back to it.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1whlR-3ysQjxB-jq8lIrAu5oe37CGUKGvuQ/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ImRwNiT59oXK80auYVDM2hFSH6JVfcy8sQ/view?usp=sharing

This same game twice now in a row has his face connected to the same point far away somewhere.

And this happened after I left the game running for sometime.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/14SiYwOIjdLLE4Yi5CulL91lq1-04_NNeCA/view?usp=sharing

And this when I shut the door on these two mobs. His weapon was stuck in the door and I was unable to reopen the door. I had quickly closed and shit it multiple times when this happened. I went far away and came back later and he was no longer stuck in the door and I was able to open it once again.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pDT984Y4JyVZxO7hmbFN1qPpzmi51JyneQ/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.