Exanima Beta 0.6.1.6 - Thrusts, Hirelings and more

Madoc

Project Lead
Here's a cumulative log of recently added features, most of the very specific improvements and fixes have been omitted. Some more detailed changelogs can be found in the forums.

Exanima Beta 0.6.1.6
  • Improved footwork and movement
  • NPC Hirelings in arena mode
  • Arena team battles (Doubles, Skirmish)
  • Numerous new items
  • More hair models updated
  • Counter shield skill technique
Beta 0.6.1.4
  • Thrusting
  • Strikes now preserve some momentum when the character perfoming them is hit
  • Various animation improvements
  • Improved parrying with polearms
Beta 0.6.1.3
  • Improved hair rendering
  • Added instruction screens in new arena mode
  • Reintroduced legacy arena as a "practice" mode
  • Facial hair is optional and follows hair colour (more styles are coming)
  • New items
Beta 0.6.1.2
  • Locational blood on characters
  • Sprint dash control option added

THRUSTS

To perform a thrust hold Alternate Attack (default ALT) and then LMB as usual. Once you are thrusting you can target different points on your opponent with precision, your aim is adjusted continuously throughout the thrust.

Allowing you to intuitively choose the height at which you aim your thrusts was quite a difficult problem. The game has to understand that aiming near someone head should in fact aim near their head, not at the floor behind them. In the end we came up with a system that tries to mimic how a human would perceive their opponent on screen. We're using a sort of simplified blurry stickman with depth, on to which we project the mouse cursor. This image should explain roughly how it works:

The bright red line represent different cursor positions. When the cursor is nearest a point on the body it will aim at that height, as it moves away it resumes the normal elevation used for controlling the direction of your character. This makes it easy and intuitive to both aim at very specific locations on your opponent's body or simply attack in a direction as usual.

Well placed thrusts do primarily piercing damage, represented by the thrust value on weapons. They do also deliver impact damage, which is very dependent on the force of the thrust, bladed weapons can do some slashing damage too.

HIRELING FIGHTERS

In the arena mode you can now hire NPCs that will fight for you or with you in team battles.

From the roster click the "Hire" button to view currently available hirelings. Currently all hirelings start at inept rank, but with varying skill training. You will pay an initial fee of 4 silver Talins, the upkeep cost is to be paid every few matches, but has not yet been implemented.

You can enter hirelings into fights and spectate them. There are also team battles in which you can enter multiple of your fighters at once.

You have full control over your hirelings' equipment and training. The AI skill level (how well they fight) is determined by the number of trained skill techniques. Be sure to equip them well to give them an advantage in battle.

Team battles allow you to earn money faster and train multiple figthers at once.

Account page link

warmhotself

Insider
Madoc you weren't kidding when you said the updates would be coming quicker from now on! I just beat level 4 finally (it only took me 18 hours). Gah this game is so awesome! You guys!

Mati9319

Supporter
An excellent update! Is it just me or moving around with RMB feels more comfortable now?

Oh and also, it seems like characters now move almost 2 times faster than before. Gonna take some time till I get used to it I suppose.

Here's a cumulative log of recently added features, most of the very specific improvements and fixes have been omitted. Some more detailed changelogs can be found in the forums.

Exanima Beta 0.6.1.6
  • Improved footwork and movement
  • NPC Hirelings in arena mode
  • Arena team battles (Doubles, Skirmish)
  • Numerous new items
  • More hair models updated
  • Counter shield skill technique
Beta 0.6.1.4
  • Thrusting
  • Strikes now preserve some momentum when the character perfoming them is hit
  • Various animation improvements
  • Improved parrying with polearms

Account page link
I see there's a bit of a gap between updates (there's no 0.6.1.5) was that because there were so many updates that you merged 5 and 6?

Tony

Insider
I see there's a bit of a gap between updates (there's no 0.6.1.5) was that because there were so many updates that you merged 5 and 6?
0.6.1.5 was tested for a short while (about a day) before 0.6.1.6 was released which only had minor fixes/tweaks so yes, he merged the two.

Jacob Jones

Supporter
This game has so much going for it. I love what is being done here. The arena mode alone could be considered one of my favorite games right now.

Question about thrusting though, I can only ever get a solid thrust about 50% of the time. I either thrust or perform a regular attack. Where should the point of origin be to initialize the thrust? The graphic helped me understand it better, but is there any video's that I can watch someone do it? I'm not really getting the hang of it at all. On paper I get it, but then I try it out and usually goof up.

Oh hey also, with those training dummies in the one room... could we maybe get like a floating number, or maybe physically damage them (temporarily [although it would be cool to have to pay to repair your training gear or buy new training gear as you use it]) so that you can see the effectiveness of each strike you perform? Maybe even if they just made a noise like a regular NPC. I just want to be able to gauge how effective my training is with the dummies. I know it's not REALISTIC but I think it might be helpful.

Parlour

With the hirelings in the arena and during the "elimination" round, can it be possible to open their inventory after a fight in order to take any of the armor or weapon from the unconscious opponent? During elimination rounds, I find this an asset from one fight to the next on my own characters... pillaging the dead and all. But I'm unable to do that with hirelings.

Last edited:

Saetheer

Insider
Question about thrusting though, I can only ever get a solid thrust about 50% of the time. I either thrust or perform a regular attack. Where should the point of origin be to initialize the thrust? The graphic helped me understand it better, but is there any video's that I can watch someone do it? I'm not really getting the hang of it at all. On paper I get it, but then I try it out and usually goof up.

Step back, start trust move, step forward, watch your opponent recover from it. Press space so the camera moves behind you, low sensitivity mouse courser on the body-part you want to hit. Its all about watching your footwork and try tease the opponent to do a 'fake attack'. Pole-arm with good distance.

This is my best advice at least. I'm getting 80-90% hit-rate (haven't really been counting it though).

Jacob Jones

Supporter
Step back, start trust move, step forward, watch your opponent recover from it. Press space so the camera moves behind you, low sensitivity mouse courser on the body-part you want to hit. Its all about watching your footwork and try tease the opponent to do a 'fake attack'. Pole-arm with good distance.

This is my best advice at least. I'm getting 80-90% hit-rate (haven't really been counting it though).

Cool thanks, I'll give that a try. I think I usually step first, which usually gets me close to the opponent, but it's a stab attack, not an attack to push them backwards. (been trying it mostly with the quarterstaff or metal bar. They have decent range, and impact. I can't afford a sharp weapon yet, so the damage I do is negligible.) I think if you got poked with a metal bar hard enough you could get impaled or seriously injured. I'll try to get my hands on a bill or maybe the polearm with the hook on it.

Jacob Jones

Supporter
With the hirelings in the arena and during the "elimination" round, can it be possible to open their inventory after a fight in order to take any of the armor or weapon from the unconscious opponent? During elimination rounds, I find this an asset from one fight to the next on my own characters... pillaging the dead and all. But I'm unable to do that with hirelings.
If you buy them gear, then they usually are better equipped than opponents to begin with. I get what you are saying- it's how you survive in the old arena mode. I've noticed that most enemies will only have maybe a pair of boots or a slightly better tunic, and are otherwise pretty poorly equipped. I rarely take anything off of them except when just starting out and have no gear. I seem to remember opening my inventory for a hireling, but I could be wrong. I can't keep track of who was hired and who was recruited- something that should be implemented I think, just a simple icon or something to differentiate from the people you actually invest time in and become attached to.

Parlour

If you buy them gear, then they usually are better equipped than opponents to begin with. I get what you are saying- it's how you survive in the old arena mode. I've noticed that most enemies will only have maybe a pair of boots or a slightly better tunic, and are otherwise pretty poorly equipped. I rarely take anything off of them except when just starting out and have no gear. I seem to remember opening my inventory for a hireling, but I could be wrong. I can't keep track of who was hired and who was recruited- something that should be implemented I think, just a simple icon or something to differentiate from the people you actually invest time in and become attached to.
I don't know. I still do it in this new arena mode too, but maybe that's just me. The point system limits what i can wear into the arena. However, once in there, it's like the points no longer matter and anything i can grab from a defeated opponent is fair game. I thought I put the best armour I can manage on myself and yet I still find things I wasn't able to wear into the arena because of the point limit. I can snag a pair of chain gloves that I wasn't able to wear in, or a chain shirt, a pair of plate greaves or whatever. Sometimes they'll be wearing an Aspirant ranked Gambeson and those things just aren't always easy to find in the store. Ha.
I do like the small icon or something of the like to differentiate hirelings from recruits. I second guess myself looking at the lists before choosing who's going in.
Oh, and is it just me, or is their really a small number of specific Aspirant ranked weapons? Maybe just nothing I prefer.
All in all, this is a deadly game and I'm really enjoying it.

Don Kanaille

Insider
Oh hey also, with those training dummies in the one room...[...]? Maybe even if they just made a noise like a regular NPC. I just want to be able to gauge how effective my training is with the dummies.

Maybe just add different kinds of impact noises depending on how you hit the dummy. Like shaken straw or a short thud for a regular hit, a more creaking noise for harder hits and a wood splitting/bursting sound for devastating/piercing hits.

"Bleeding" hits could also be simulated by bits of straw/chips of wood falling out (particle effect only, no need for real physic object straw).

There you go, helpful, sensible and immersive at the same time. And hopefully easy to implement.

Mati9319

Supporter
I was a little bit skeptical about myself using thrusting, as I thought I'm probably gonna suck at it. Today, I overcame my doubts and I've got to say: thrusting with maul and morning star is just INCREDIBLY powerful! Also it's not that hard as I thought! Even managed to get a few headshots and by the way: attack positioning system is incredibly well done and intuitive!

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.