Feedback on early game and videos

Natharias

I've only played four hours (according to steam) and about half of that was spent in the Arena, and I've seen all of the videos on BareMettle on Youtube except for the OSTs.

This is my favorite ARPG, hands down. No exceptions. No after-thoughts. Favorite game. Here's what I like, roughly in the order that I like it:

1. It's realistic. Objects interact logically, damage is dealt based on numerous factors (movement, direction of swing, speed/strength of swing, etc), and lightning especially. I can immerse into the game without any trouble.

2. Skill, skill, skill. It doesn't matter how good my gear is, if I run in I'm going to die. The videos showed a fully armored character getting completely broken (quite literally) by the giant with the over-sized flail. Yet another video showed two guys flanking on opposite sides and taking him down, and another video showed one man doing it. No other game has "skill" as a factor. Dark Messiah was the last game that was remotely like yours, at least a game of quality.

3. Decision making. It takes time to switch from a torch to something else, and it doesn't just go back to the same inventory spot you placed it before. You can't just run into a room and beat on everything, cause two enemies will likely out-perform you unless you are at the top of your game. You also don't just attack, you have to either attack and try to dodge or dodge and then attack, and sometimes your enemy's weapon might be faster. So many factors that make every decision vital to surviving or dying.

4. There's magic, and it's realistic. I thought teleporting a man from one side of the parapets to another so he can fall and break his legs was great, but I was shocked that you had a basic "blast" spell that can scatter the bones of multiple skeletons. And even better, the skeletons reanimate after a moment. WOW. I mean WOW. You don't just cut the skeletons down, you have to make sure they stay down (I'm assuming only blunt damage permanently hurts them or something like that, or the magic eventually wears off).

5. Character attributes are realistic. Taller characters have greater reach but also have more leg/arm that can be hit by weapons. Shorter characters don't trip as often, defend better with shields, but have shorter reach. I just hope that you make the physique box (strong, skinny, fat, etc.) actually make a difference.

Natharias

Update.

Release the map editor?
Due to the complexity desired for the gameplay, I doubt that you'll release map editors or the ability to create custom areas and content. However, I think that allowing map editors to be used for at least Arena-style or mini-campaign settings might be worthwhile. Perhaps this could be somewhat like Oblivion and Skyrim, where there are a few very good unofficial campaigns (I can't recall any off-hand, I didn't play them much but some friends have and I knew of a couple) that were very interesting.

Yes / No? I think there's no reason not to release it. It won't take from the main campaign (unless someone somehow makes a better campaign than you) and will only add to the longevity of Exanima. Some people said they poured five hundred hours, and others have only spent five to ten, some of each say that the "replayability" of the game is limited since it remains just about the same. Oblivion and Skyrim (I know they were very different gameplay-wise) had the same problem, but an open modding system enhanced their lifespans.

Race system? (Doubtful)
I doubt this will be implemented because it counteracts one of the best and unique aspects of this game: equal opportunity. Each enemy, at least as far as I read and was told, has the same life. The only difference is the equipment, skills, and demeanor of the entity in question. Now to the point: I saw that giant armored thing that had a flail with a ball the size of a man's chest. I want to be that. I'd love to be twice the size of a man and toss them around and break them in their armor with a huge flail. But how to balance it? I'm not sure myself.

There was some discussion about releasing some limited editing tools a while ago and opinion was split on whether it was a good idea or not. I think it would be good, but it might not be a priority right now anyway.

Natharias

There was some discussion about releasing some limited editing tools a while ago and opinion was split on whether it was a good idea or not. I think it would be good, but it might not be a priority right now anyway.
Well it depends on what editing/modding is allowed and how far it can be implemented.

Some games, again like Skyrim, can get away with letting all (or most) tools out to their players. It benefits them immensely since it essentially allows players to make their own content. A single person can yield a few more hours of gameplay in their campaign alone.

But other games won't benefit well. One good example would be Grim Dawn; excellent game, amazing story potential, but it is limited in the fact that the game's lifespan is based not on skill, but items and drops. You can't just keep plugging in new content and get a direct increase to the game's longevity.

That's why I believe Exanima would benefit as though it were Skyrim. It's based almost entirely on skill, and your gear (and skills as in skill points in the future) have limited effect on it. So what if you blast all five skeletons away with magic? They'll just reanimate and come back. There are four guys with maces, so what if you have full plate armor? So I'm certain that new maps, areas, and stories would benefit the game.

In the end, however, it's not about whether it can be done or would work. There might be something Bare Mettle knows or has in mind that we don't. If that prevents them from releasing editors or campaign making tools, then that's fine. We still have an amazing game nonetheless.

Faelivrin

Insider
Map editor was discussed a bit on the steam forum yesterday. The tools are there, and they mostly user friendly. But from what i understand the devs consider there be might need a to support them, and that would mean invest a time they currently don't have. It is understandable, they are doing their best to support the steam forums that is quite flooded as it is.

steamcommunity.com/app/362490/discussions/0/620712364032068380/

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.