Hello a few questions about Sui Generis

Which video mentions water building up? I haven't seen it :O
I don't remember I will look for it and will edit my comment with it. But that's what I remember from watching one of the YouTube videos I might not be 100% correct though. It was so many months ago.

So I found the YouTube video.

Looks like there is no mention of water building up. But Madoc did say that water reacts accordingly so I assume we will get floods? Go to the 5 minute mark and watch up to the 6 minute mark.

Also my other question I asked you is answered in this YouTube video clouds and fog are volumetric and fully dynamic no textured skybox yay.

Sorry it took me so long to post I had to talk to a family member who got their wallet stolen at work yesterday :/ and went today to work to talk to the security team to look over the security cameras videos of the thief being recorded.

Last edited:
I thought of another question.

Is Sui Generis 32 bit or 64 bit or both? I have not seen any mentions about it anywhere. I hope 32 bit is dead and that it's 64 bit only. 64 bit will allow for more than 3.75GB of VRAM and whenever mod tools get released graphical mods will be amazing and hopefully next year there will be graphic cards released with 12GB of VRAM I hear GDDR6 will be released next year no idea how true this rumor is though.

Sandalwood

Insider
I thought of another question.

Is Sui Generis 32 bit or 64 bit or both? I have not seen any mentions about it anywhere. I hope 32 bit is dead and that it's 64 bit only. 64 bit will allow for more than 3.75GB of VRAM and whenever mod tools get released graphical mods will be amazing and hopefully next year there will be graphic cards released with 12GB of VRAM I hear GDDR6 will be released next year no idea how true this rumor is though.
32 vs 64 bit would actually be a discussion of it's own. since baremettle didn't mention anything in that direction (at least i do not know of anything, but i'm a lazy lurker) i guess sui generis will be 32 bit

32 vs 64 bit would actually be a discussion of it's own. since baremettle didn't mention anything in that direction (at least i do not know of anything, but i'm a lazy lurker) i guess sui generis will be 32 bit
Gonna be sad if Sui Generis is 32 bit only. If it's because BareMettle doesn't have enough money or resources I understand. I hope they release 64 bit support later on. One of the X video games from 2005 has support for both 32 bit and 64 bit. Whenever we get some really good mod tools I want to make some awesome graphical mods in the 64 bit version.

Sandalwood

Insider
Gonna be sad if Sui Generis is 32 bit only. If it's because BareMettle doesn't have enough money or resources I understand..
the thing with 64 bit programs - and that is a sad truth, i didn't understand at first - is that they actually run slower than comparabable 32 bit programs. why do they do that? they should be aware of so much more awesome instructions, and have so much more memory available ... well .. there's this oh so low level truth.
the code a cpu executes is mostly cached (in the cpu itself actually) we got l1 cache, l2 cache an l3 cache (this one is the one actually advertised) ... thing is those caches are EXTREMELY small ... l3 cache is usually advertised as 8mb in current generation cpus ... yeah and here's the sad truth i mentioned before.
the code a 64 bit application takes up is actually bigger than a comparable 32 bit application, therefore it would degrade cache performance which in this case would translate in general worse performance ...

Rob

Agreed. It really varies from application to application. Depends on efficiency and memory utilization. There's no point just making something 64-bit-only just for the sake of it, without thinking about it first. E.g. it's great if games can utilise >4GB VRAM, but the reality is that many can't/won't. Operating systems, on the other hand, should always be 64-bit from here on in in order to allow >4GB RAM utilization.

Agreed. It really varies from application to application. Depends on efficiency and memory utilization. There's no point just making something 64-bit-only just for the sake of it, without thinking about it first. E.g. it's great if games can utilise >4GB VRAM, but the reality is that many can't/won't. Operating systems, on the other hand, should always be 64-bit from here on in in order to allow >4GB RAM utilization.
I am confused maybe I am not reading your comment correctly.

The PC version of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim can run on both 32 bit and 64 bit but does not allow for more than 3.75GB of VRAM when I make texture mods for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim or download 4K textures mods or 8K textures mods I cannot even play it with the textures mods + ENB mods because it does not use more than 3.75GB of VRAM.

I would like to be able to go over the limit when making graphical mods for Sui Generis I don't want to be locked or the video game to crash or not start up or freeze badly such as the case with the PC version of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.

Rob

I am confused maybe I am not reading your comment correctly.

The PC version of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim can run on both 32 bit and 64 bit but does not allow for more than 3.75GB of VRAM when I make texture mods for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim or download 4K textures mods or 8K textures mods I cannot even play it with the textures mods + ENB mods because it does not use more than 3.75GB of VRAM.
The fact that "Skyrim can run on both 32 bit and 64 bit" only means that Skyrim is compiled so that it can be run on 32-bit or 64-bit operating systems. It says nothing about what Skyrim can/will do regarding utilisation of memory. Whether or not an application can use more than ~4GB VRAM will depend on how it is written.

Edit: plus, the 32bit/64bit usually refers to system RAM... not 100% sure whether that necessarily implicitly translates to VRAM utilisation.

I would like to be able to go over the limit when making graphical mods for Sui Generis I don't want to be locked or the video game to crash or not start up or freeze badly such as the case with the PC version of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.
Only the devs can answer that. We don't know how much VRAM the game takes by default yet, and we don't know what the different texture detail options will be. However, from what we're seen so far, it already looks pretty damned good given the distance from the camera to the objects, and I'm picky. I'm sure @Madoc or @Brendan would clarify.

Last edited:
Any copy of the game you get from us will be DRM free. We will give you a product key that will allow you to download the latest version of the game directly from us at any time as well patches, free DLC etc.

We don't use any 3rd party technology at all for physics, I built the physics engine from scratch. This goes for everything else too.
this is the main reason i've been following this game for maybe a year now.
it is really a motivation for all programmers.
programming is freedom!

congratulations for embracing this far from ordinary quest.
may your dream come true so we can enjoy it too :D

good luck for you all and best regards,

- a fellow programmer

I would like to say Happy New Year! to the Bare Mettle Entertainment people.

Now onto my question.

Any announcements made or will be made about 32 bit support or 64 bit support or support for both for Sui Generis?

Madoc

Project Lead
For the time being we're just going to go with 32 bit, for compatibility and there being no good reason to go 64 bit, 32 bit will probably just perform better over all. How video ram is used is down to the OS architecture and video driver, not the application (typically at least, there may be exceptions).

Fawz

Insider
For the time being we're just going to go with 32 bit, for compatibility and there being no good reason to go 64 bit, 32 bit will probably just perform better over all. How video ram is used is down to the OS architecture and video driver, not the application (typically at least, there may be exceptions).
If you feel going the 32bit route will offer good performance for everyone and not waste any time on 64bit executable then it sounds like a good plan to stick to just 32bit.

But wouldn't the game's executable being set to 32bit set a limit of around 4GB of max Memory that the application can use? It was my understanding that such was the case in regards to RAM allocation. If so is it just that Sui Generis is not expected to make use of more than 4GB of memory?

Madoc

Project Lead
Yeah, the game doesn't use that much system memory, it's just not a concern. Actually on 32 bit systems memory addressing is limited to 2 GB and some 32 bit applications (including SG) on a 64 bit system can address up to 4 GB. Also 32 bit system are limited to 3.5 GB to be shared between all running programs. So, the 32 bit OS imposes a much more significant limitation than 4 GB and getting that 4GB is a pretty solid upgrade on a 64 bit OS even while using 32 bit.

666jet

Insider
What I will be tempted to do when we get a Linux build is mount the whole is and the game into ram then run it I used to do it with a few games man that load time was light speed haha but only have 16gb in this machine right now so hopefully the game doesn't take up to much space or more ram for me haha

BigT2themax

Insider
Man, I really hope I have a good enough PC to run Sui, because if it can't handle it... well, I'll be really sad, is all, really. And then I'd have to either dish out for a new computer or make my own or whatever and that'd cost a lot of money, and it'd also be kind of annoying, as I don't know that much about in-depth computer hardware. :confused:

Brendan

Developer
Man, I really hope I have a good enough PC to run Sui, because if it can't handle it... well, I'll be really sad, is all, really. And then I'd have to either dish out for a new computer or make my own or whatever and that'd cost a lot of money, and it'd also be kind of annoying, as I don't know that much about in-depth computer hardware. :confused:
What's your PC spec (CPU and graphics card)? It might be fine...

Running CPU-Z is an easy way to check if you're not sure: http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.