Instead of a difficulty setting...

Soren

Insider
I guess I'm a bit of a masochist when it comes to gaming, but I really prefer when games portray violence realistically: weapons should be lethal rather than having yourself and everyone else be able to sustain several shots in the chest, etc.

In most cases, I often end up trying to mod the games I play to achieve this feel. But knowing that there are many out there with similar preferences, I've always wished for games having more than just a single difficulty setting, but rather multiple ways to - with a word honouring the Sui Generis core design - procedurally affect gameplay.

To give some examples of what I'm proposing, these are possible settings that you could make adjustable:

AI Difficulty - Both intelligence and ability to hit precisely etc.

Vulnerability of foes - Self explanatory.

Vulnerability of self - Self explanatory.

Amount of foes - Personally, I really prefer to face fewer, but harder enemies, but more arcade gamers often like to hack-n-slash through waves of foes.

Realism - Could affect things such as exhaustion, bleeding, weapons breaking, etc.

What do you think?

SergeDavid

Insider
I can see what you are going for, however a lot of things that I think of as realism and what you listed can be extremely difficult to implement and if not done correctly will just ruin the experience. I'd prefer an engaging game over one that sacrifices for the sake of realism.

A rooster crows good morning to the sun as its warm light streams into the window and upon your face. The weary travels through the volcanic tunnels of this island nation still show upon your body, but the weight of them lift as you rest for a time. The maiden beside you still sleeps soundlessly as the light brings even more color back to her pale face and lips that where so hungry the night before. Donning your gear you leave a bag of money on the night stand for her and a kind word to the inn keeper. Entering the towns only blacksmith hall you speak with the attendant and return her families pendant that was locked in that dungeon as well for your reward. Even through your armor has suffered some dents and scratches the metal is still strong and will hold out a good while longer before needing repairs. It is time to continue the quest, for revenge and set out towards the stables where your mighty war sheep awaits you. Along the way a dire rat emerges from the shadows of an alley you are walking down and bites your ankle before running off. As you mount upon your mighty steed the stable boy tells of a place where several men have gone missing. With this hint you set out and head off for adventure, yet something feels kind of weird. The further away from the village you go the weaker you feel.

Finally it gets to the point where you stop and dismount from your war sheep only to fall against his side as a sharp pain courses from your knee to the base of your spine. Sitting down you notice your left leg is heavy and as you look at where you where bitten the reason becomes sickeningly clear. Blood steadily flows from your wound that has started turning a sickly green color, only now do you realize you haven't been able to feel your lower leg since you started riding and it is nearly past noon! Quickly you fumble in your bag for bandages and an antidote. You find a little bottle at the bottom of your bag and swallow it in one gulp. The pain rushes down your leg as the poison is violently driven out by the accursed brew. Blood continues to flow freely as you frantically search for bandages yet nary a one can ye find. In your dully weakened state from being poisoned and the blood lose you start to fade into unconsciousness. Something in that rats bite lets the blood to continue to flow freely and slowly your life drains out of you alone and helpless as your cottony companion watches over you until finally a predator bests both him, and you.

Soren

Insider
Well, your fascinating tale just had me persuaded really!

There's no one saying it has to be either Fable 30kindergarten or ultra hardcore, just some variation where it's sensible and won't take a lot more from the developers to implement. The most forward example could be a multiplier on the damage the creatures in the world are able to sustain. Or whether exhaustion is realistic, reduced or calculated at all.

Joe Moore

Insider
Well, your fascinating tale just had me persuaded really!

There's no one saying it has to be either Fable 30kindergarten or ultra hardcore, just some variation where it's sensible and won't take a lot more from the developers to implement. The most forward example could be a multiplier on the damage the creatures in the world are able to sustain. Or whether exhaustion is realistic, reduced or calculated at all.
Sounds like you should read a book, not play a computer game.

Seriously, a good game balances realism with good gameplay.True realism is tedious and not fun. If you want reality, go out into the world, don't play a video game.

Soren

Insider
I think my point is that each have their preference. I'm not arguing for realism here, just for a more adaptable experience.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.