Kickstarter update #13: There Will Be Blood... And Fire And Shields!

Kieran

Developer

We've had quite a few requests and questions about blood, fire and shields. What better way to show we intend to do these things than getting started on it? So, we got to work, made some early versions of these features and put them in a video for you!

BLOOD
We've added blood sprays for the more painful blows, the effect is still simple but we already see the potential of the animation resulting from all the physics. When our character rendering system is complete we plan to add lots of proper sticky yucky gore, wounds, dents and the lot. And not just on characters. For now we've made weapons get nicely spattered until they're covered in the stuff.

FIRE
Just a fiery pit for now but it's procedural, volumetric fire. It's 3D, there are no repeating animations, we can shape it however we want, make it envelop and react to objects etc. Those physics again. The colours need tweaking but we're pretty happy with this early result.

SHIELDS
We basically just strapped a shield to the character's arm and added some basic blocking behaviours. Even though we've done very little the physics are already doing a lot. Shields are supposed to be a big build choice and just as we hoped they're proving to be extremely effective.

Cooper Holt

Insider
YES! Finally! I love the blood on the sword, I love the dynamic fire, I love the blocking system, and I love the ogre-takedown!
I'm very impressed by this. Keep up the good work!
P.S: The next video should be about physics and (if possible) archery! :D

minidood

I'm amazed with the awesome fire effects, and the shields are awesome, but will you be able to turn off the blood?

MrIdontKnow

Insider
I love you guys.

Honestly this is great! Loving the blood, fire and shields! The inventory looks great as well! Love to see how to play on placing items in there! Any plans for decals on the floor and what not from the blood?

Back Sui Generis!

Ooh, if they manage to release a video containing archery... I'd be amazed! 50 hours to go!
Even a discussion about archery would be great. I'm curious to know if a pure archer character can survive, or if it will just be a first-strike type of attack which will then be followed up with steel.

Psychomorph

Insider
Great update! Combat process seems faster, which makes the animations look more focused, harsh and less "drunk" actually. Combat is a brutal thing and it looks much more like it in the new video.

The use of shield looks really physical, not just like a cosmetic feature that merely extends the health, but a real physical barrier that provides 100% resistance if it intercepts the enemy weapon. For an all realism fan like me it is very satisfying to observe.

I remember some people complained about the music earlier. I have no idea what's up with that, the music is great. I especially love the mysterious ambient music in the dungeon part before and after the "troll" fight. I love meditative and atmospheric ambient music, with drums and use of instruments. I'd love to hear more medieval folk-like music, but also creepy ambient music. And drums, deep drums.
A KS update with some music work would be nice at some point.

Ooh, if they manage to release a video containing archery... I'd be amazed! 50 hours to go!
As someone who favours archery in games like this above most other weapons and combat styles, I'd love to see this, but I suppose archery isn't even implemented yet.

nox

Insider
Great update!
I haven't got much more to say, just echoing what everyone else said, it all looks good as hell for early work!

One thing I thought about during the ogre fight was how much more exciting this is to watch than a standard turn-based RPG, because you know that this fight could look extremely different every time you play it.
And the move where the ogre gets a kick in and the knight deflects his next swing and attacks, that looks like a coordinated fight scene from a movie, very impressive!

I'd love to hear more medieval folk-like music, but also creepy ambient music. And drums, deep drums.
me too! me too!

Rob

I remember some people complained about the music earlier. I have no idea what's up with that, the music is great.
I agree. The music is great, and appropriate for in-game music. I think the problem was that people were expecting music more associated with a trailer. Hard-hitting pitch videos usually have flashy, epic, hollywoodesque music... which this isn't. To me, the music in the video demonstrates that Bethain can compose music that's appropriate for the game, creating a great atmosphere. This really inspires confidence!!! To me, this is more important and effective than something loud, up-beat and commercial... although I'm not sure whether the masses share that opinion. I can imagine a combination of both would have maximised the appeal to all audiences.

Kane

Insider
Nice new update guys, really like the subtlety of the blood, works really well rather than it being pouring out as it would make it look too cartoon like. Logo looks good too, glad that came out alright for the new update

Xumbik

Insider
Nice new update guys, really like the subtlety of the blood, works really well rather than it being pouring out as it would make it look too cartoon like. Logo looks good too, glad that came out alright for the new update
I didn't even notice the new logo, darn!

Maybe Madoc, or someone else on the team, could send the logo (and/or any similar font they use) to me so I can incorporate them into the new t-shirt designs.

Reactions: Rob

Kane

Insider
Ha oh well, hopefully it will be noticed more.

Well actually i made the logo for the team and am going to be working on some stuff for them. Ill try and put up some of the t-shirt designs that i have thought of just as food for thought

Xumbik

Insider
Ha oh well, hopefully it will be noticed more.

Well actually i made the logo for the team and am going to be working on some stuff for them. Ill try and put up some of the t-shirt designs that i have thought of just as food for thought
Have you checked the T-Shirt Design thread?

Oh, and, good job! :)

Kane

Insider
No problem Brendan, thanks man the whole team are legends ;) and excited to be part of the team.

Thanks Xumbik glad you like it, and yes i have, looking good, ill post my ideas i had soon

Cooper Holt

Insider
We need more updates!
Just because the Kickstarter stopped doesn't mean the updates have to. Will there be more updates in the near future?

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.