Magic+

SuperiorTech

Insider
What kind of magic (Thaumaturgy) is in SG?

I saw 2 casts, the offensive force ball and the defensive smoke/vanish.

What others are being considered?

-earthquake stun or short telekinesis (open chests/search from a distance)

*I would like to see a Meditation skill then can be cast outside of combat to heal at a faster rate... maybe even at a temple of some type or a looking point. Sometimes I just want to watch the game world cycle.

//on a side note, are there going to be any gestures?

Last edited:

Boothie

Insider
Thaumathurgy will be divided into different schools, Energy,Light,Body,Displacement,Mind and Force. We dont currently know what spells will be available except for a few. The teleporting and vanish you saw will likely be Displacement abilities, And the forcepush will be force.

Devs have also mentioned Necromancy, ie bringing using dead bodies as puppets in combat trough the Mind type of thaumathurgy.
At the start of the game you will choose one school of thaumathurgy as your innate ability, you can increase your knowledge and power of thaumathurgy by killing people and absorbing some of their power when they die.

Everyone in the world of sui generis posess some power of thaumathurgy although only a few can actually use it.

Boothie

Insider
This is said in the Thaumathurgy section of the About tab

Another major aspect of character advancement is thaumaturgy.

Though you can make some use of all forms of thaumaturgy you must choose one as innate to your character. This is your natural talent and where you will excel.

Each form of thaumaturgy grants specific effects rather than having a particular purpose. For example, a necromancer would use powerful Mind thaumaturgy to evoke the transcended mind of the dead, causing them to take control of their remains. The revived dead control their decayed bodies by means of their own dormant capacity for thaumaturgy.

Thaumaturgic power does not undergo gradual progression over time, rather some portion of the transcendent mind of others is absorbed in their moment of death. The more advanced the transcendence of the mind being sundered, the more of it may be absorbed. Some thaumaturgic knowledge, different from raw power, may also be gleaned during such moments.

Thaumaturgic knowledge may also be gained by natural insight where one's innate powers are concerned, and other sources of knowledge or learning besides.

You will initially have a basic command of your power, using it in its simplest form. With time you will learn more elaborate ways of shaping its outcome, refining its use and combining your individual insights into completely new effects. As a basic example, you may learn to turn Force Blast into an omnidirectional effect, pushing things away in any direction; you may also learn to make the force highly coherent, thus turning it into a shield. The two things combined may lead you to make a bubble that shields you from all directions.

You can also look Here for a grand list of dev quotes on an array of subjects relating to the game

jman0war

I don't know but i'm going to go against the grain here and say I am disappointed to see spell casting in Sui Generis.

Isn't there enough isosemtric high fantasy RPG's out there that have spell casting already?
The unique thing about Exanium is the physics based combat.
Pity to water that down with a click and cast spell system.

zhuliks

Insider
I don't know but i'm going to go against the grain here and say I am disappointed to see spell casting in Sui Generis.

Isn't there enough isosemtric high fantasy RPG's out there that have spell casting already?
The unique thing about Exanium is the physics based combat.
Pity to water that down with a click and cast spell system.
Well, game already has waling skeletons, so obviously - magic, physics based interactions can make both melee fights and magic spells work greatly and uniquely. And even if you take out skeletons, permadeath and respawns that gameplay is based on kind of require magic to be there in the world.

jman0war

That's not comparing like for like.
Player respawns and skeletons mobs are not the same things as casting magic spells as a combat mechanic.
Totally different things.

How are the devs going to make the mechanics of spell casting require similar player skill as melee combat does?

Maybe if they borrow heavily from Arx Fatalis they can do something, but in the kickstarter video i saw no evidence of anything remotely like that.

If i want an isosemtric high fantasy RPG that incorporates spells i'll just play Path of Exile or even Diablo

Murf

You may have missed a few vid clips of teleport in the initial vids, and I have seem some of the 'push' thaumaturgy and it is pretty impressive.

Tyon

That's not comparing like for like.
Player respawns and skeletons mobs are not the same things as casting magic spells as a combat mechanic.
Totally different things.

How are the devs going to make the mechanics of spell casting require similar player skill as melee combat does?

Maybe if they borrow heavily from Arx Fatalis they can do something, but in the kickstarter video i saw no evidence of anything remotely like that.

If i want an isosemtric high fantasy RPG that incorporates spells i'll just play Path of Exile or even Diablo
None of the spells that we have seen are all that OP. In one of the KS videos of Sui Generis, the one where combat is mostly explained, there is a fight between two knights in the beginning. If you look very closely, you can see the player-controlled knight try and use that repulsion spell against the opponent, but was unable to because of being swung at. Judging from that little clip, I assume magic is not going to be something that will be completely superior to melee fighting. I'd also imagine the spells will be very extremely well explained in the game, since it's low fantasy and wouldn't use the excuse "because magic".

XxBoDxX

Insider
I'm sure that there will be a trade off. No way are they going to let you be really good at thaumaturgy in a lot of armor. Little armor needs lots of skill to survive in combat. And it will be done good, and in their own way.They wouldn't add it in otherwise.

Zoltan

Supporter
Do not fear the the mystical energies...

Magic is a great tool to increase the game-play possibilities, I am sure they will allow that any one that dislike magic will have to choice opt out and keep resolving everything the bloody way ;)

Personally I'd like to see some summoning, illusions, mind control, divination, the possibilities are so vast.

I could write some examples but I feel a bit lazy today :cool:

The only thing I'm scared about is that they make magic and ranged combat too fancy and too OP.

As long as it's not an "iWin" button...I'm totally fine with low profile magic like the occasional force wave or mental tricks.
I just want it to come at a very clear cost. Like spells literally exhausting your character or outright making it impossible to be a steamrolling tank with a built-in flamethrower.

And about fancy...they just shouldn't look TOO fantasy like. Basically have even offensive magic be based in the realm of physics and reason and we got no problem.

Do not fear the the mystical energies...

Magic is a great tool to increase the game-play possibilities, I am sure they will allow that any one that dislike magic will have to choice opt out and keep resolving everything the bloody way ;)

Personally I'd like to see some summoning, illusions, mind control, divination, the possibilities are so vast.

I could write some examples but I feel a bit lazy today :cool:
If they are stating that the game will be set in a low fantasy world, it wouldn't make any sense to have a lot of spells and it shouldn't be easy or something regular (oh - there's a wall right there, let me teleport because i'm lazy).

The only thing I'm scared about is that they make magic and ranged combat too fancy and too OP.

As long as it's not an "iWin" button...I'm totally fine with low profile magic like the occasional force wave or mental tricks.
I just want it to come at a very clear cost. Like spells literally exhausting your character or outright making it impossible to be a steamrolling tank with a built-in flamethrower.

And about fancy...they just shouldn't look TOO fantasy like. Basically have even offensive magic be based in the realm of physics and reason and we got no problem.
For me, there's no problem to put thaumaturgy - but it should so difficult to be a thaumaturge that only a veteran hardcore very skilled player will be able to do. And, using thaumaturgy in combat should be so hard that only few thaumaturges will going to use it without the need of melee fighting. Mana (or whatever the blue bar is going to be) should be something slower to recover than stamina.

I hope that thaumaturgy will add only few spells with a very subtle visual effect - not the vibrant mosaics of colorful elements with psychedelics kaleidoscopes of colorful delusions of popular medieval fantasy mmorpgs. The most colorful thing they should make as spells is the lurid spectre of your soul being dranned away from your body.

A thaumaturge spellcaster should be something similar to necromance from Diablo 2 (using less spells and more poisoned daggers). Please, don't make thaumaturgy not even similar to any other game. I'd respect games like "Witcher" and "The Elders of Scrolls" but thaumaturgy MUST be original (from the ground, like all others aspects in this game) to not compromise BareMettle's vision.
I apologize if it seems arrogant to talk such things as if I were part of game development - I don't. But I'll do my best to help the transformation of Sui Generis (and Exanima) into what it should become - a masterpiece.

XxBoDxX

Insider
I don't think there is anything wrong with being able to specialize and become a very powerful thaumaturge. It would be silly to add something like magic and limit it so vastly.

If you want to work for it you should be able to become a tank with a built-in flamethrower. I mean, if you want the game to be balanced in terms of choice, make it so your character can be the magical equivalent of someone wearing full plate armor with a master crafted two handed sword. I'm completely positive that it will be balanced in terms of a trade off. And I also know you will have to kill other thaumaturges to become more powerful. I also know that just like with melee combat being extremely skill based, they will do the same with ranged combat in all forms. No version of combat will an easy one to master, but once you are good enough at the game it won't matter what you use as long as you, the player has mastered it.

Also to add to all of that, I'll bet there are some enemies that can only be defeated by one way of combat more easily than others. You'll probably have to become a renaissance man (proficient in all forms of combat.) to be consistently successful. Remember, thaumaturgy will just be a tool in your arsenal, just like any physical weapon is, so when combat is a puzzle you have to solve, you have that choice.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.