My Thoughts On Zoom

Eluem

I've been thinking about how the zoom works in the game and when you can zoom in and out.

I think it'd be really cool to change the zoom mechanics, as well as fog of war mechanics, to sort of be designed around simulating the character's awareness of their surroundings.

When you're in combat, you SHOULD be locked to a certain zoom distance both for immersion and game balance design reason. In terms of game balance it helps keep the player at a specific distance from the combat so they can see what's going on in enough detail for it to look cool and be fun but also get a decent view of their surroundings. If you could zoom out beyond a set maximum, then the optimal playstyle would be to always be maximally zoomed out, which wouldn't look fun but a skilled player could do it. Games should be designed to force fun play. In terms of immersion, you're focusing on the fight and as such you're only expanding your awareness to the minimum that you need to prevent getting hit in the back.

When you're in exploration mode, your default awareness should be set quite wide, since you're looking around. When you click on an object or on a location with your mouse, the camera could fly over to it and zoom in a bit, as if you're focusing on it and trying to get a better look... maybe even increasing your fog of war range (if they implement such a max range to your vision). When you grab an object it could zoom in on it to give you a better view.

This concept of a sort of dynamic zoom camera would also work well and naturally with the concepts that are being discussed with the potential new inventory system which has no paperdoll/inventory menu and allows you to alter your character's equipment directly in game.

These are just some starting ideas, I'd love to hear what people think about them.

If you are in combat with melee weapons - it is possible somehow to understand... but when the game will include bows - it will really interfere with shooting.

Moreover, staying in battle mode does not mean that the character is in battle - he may just go with weapons at the ready. It doesn't interfere with his concentration or viewing distance.

For example, you have to sneak up on the enemy from behind with the knife at the ready - yes, you're focused, but you still need to look around on the sides - so, will you hide your knife specially to check if everything is clear?

Eluem

My take on zoom is this: free zoom in & out whenever and wherever. Like it is now, but with the ability to zoom in all the way.
I think there's a lot of negative impacts that has on the game in general. With the immersion and especially wit the multiplayer gameplay they're planning for SG.

If you are in combat with melee weapons - it is possible somehow to understand... but when the game will include bows - it will really interfere with shooting.
The system can easily recognize that you're using a bow and adjust the focusing mechanic accordingly. It could possibly move your camera around with your mouse a bit, sort of like Bloodline Champions. Not sure exactly how that'd feel in this game with it's mechanics but I don't imagine it would cause any trouble. Although, I think a similar camera model could work both in melee and ranged combat.

Moreover, staying in battle mode does not mean that the character is in battle - he may just go with weapons at the ready. It doesn't interfere with his concentration or viewing distance. For example, you have to sneak up on the enemy from behind with the knife at the ready - yes, you're focused, but you still need to look around on the sides - so, will you hide your knife specially to check if everything is clear?
You're right, you can have your weapons up and be looking around... but there is some level of abstraction in games. Being able to zoom all the way in and out during combat has certain very negative implications that I explained in the OP, especially when they implement MP in SG. Also, I'm not suggesting that it zooms you really far in to the point where you have no awareness at all.

That's too confusing for gameplay IMHO. It is unwise to burden mouse to operate the camera, while it is directly involved in the management of the fight. So it is much easier and painless to leave everything as it is now.
If you don't have enough "fog of war", you can do it for yourself , manually ;)

Eluem

That's too confusing for gameplay IMHO. It is unwise to burden mouse to operate the camera, while it is directly involved in the management of the fight. So it is much easier and painless to leave everything as it is now.
If you don't have enough "fog of war", you can do it for yourself , manually ;)

Well, unless you're running to a location, moving the mouse only controls where your character looks.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.