New Public Video

Kieran

Developer
Somewhat later than promised, here finally is a new public video!

During development it's easy to dismiss many glitches and other issues due to things being unfinished and as you know we are developing all technology in house. As we endeavoured to make this video we became determined to solve every issue we encountered rather than avoiding them or using temporary workarounds. We are after all making a game, not just videos. The game is now very stable, the perfomance is solid and we removed every glitch we could find.

While the game still deserves many tweaks and improvements, and we want to continue improving it almost indefinitely, we feel we've reached a good level of quality and functionality. We've avoided showing some aspects of the game that we don't feel are complete enough yet but we tried to convey the spirit of the game in the video's narrative. Hope you enjoy it!

Despite our efforts the Youtube playback of the video is not very good, you can download a high quality smoother version of the video here:
Direct link: http://sb1.baremettle.com/SuiGenerisPAG.mp4
Torrent (faster): http://cdn1.baremettle.com/SuiGenerisPAG.mp4.torrent

Best,

Bare Mettle

My (videogaming) dreams are (partly) becoming reality. This excites me to no end.

Well played.

Edit: For those that have Twitter. You should all tweet this at Angry Joe. I'm 100% sure he'll be drooling over it! Do for the cause!!

BigT2themax

Insider
Yay! Video! Happy Happy happy!

Woah, I guess I'm the first to see this, huh? Like, this was posted literally 4 minutes ago when I saw it! I feel very lucky! (edit: one of the first, damn you, rod! :p)

I'll just make comments on what I see as I watch it. Edit: Edit them in, I mean. Don't read this if you don't want the video spoiled, go watch it! GO WATCH IT NOW.

1. First two minutes seem to be indicative of the process of scrounging up equipment after you die and lose your stuff: Grab any random weapon you can get your hands on to fight of some guy who's got better equipment, whoop his ass, grab his better equipment, look inside houses for any other stuff you could use. Seems to be a quick transition or load or something when entering a building, or maybe it's an instant change of the view? Also, some new weapons! Cool.

2. Some cool looking exploration, coming across a cave and exploring. I can see how the health seems to work, where your max health is lowered as you take hits, but what health you seem to have recovers quickly. Noticing some of bethain's cool music, and OH MY GOD DID I JUST SEE A NEW THAUMATURGY POWER? PHASING IN AND OUT OF REALITY AND STUFF, SWEET.

3. Very cleverly showing off how you can put stuff on the ground and move it about and rotate it and whatnot to decorate a room. You falling over the chair seemed to happen on purpose. :p More new weapons as well.
OH MY GIDDY AUNT, I SAW SOME WEAPON STATS. Sweet jesus, I literally squealed with joy when I saw those weapon stats. Also, you hold a 2-handed sword on your shoulder, nice!

4. Okay, we seem to be in a large town or something. I guess there's no non-enemy NPCs yet? Okay, nevermind, I saw some guards who be guardin' like, five seconds after I typed that.
EEEEEEE the use of this new thaumaturgy is awesome! Sneaking past castle walls, disappearing just as an enemy is about to hit you, I love it!

Just noticed the thaumaturgy seems to have it's own bar that works similar to the health bar, where the maximum amount drains as you use thaumaturgy, but your immediately available recovers quickly.

Okay, this phasing thaumaturgy seems a bit silly, you can literally go damn near anywhere you want whenever you want, and you can even move other people with it. :rolleyes: I suppose you're probably just using it for development purposes right now, maybe places are inaccesible because the interiors aren't done yet, or you'd rather just move around place quickly. Also, the castle looks pretty nice.

Why are you taking the guy's armor now when you looked at it before and decided not to equip it?

Wait, surely you're not going to try to... Oh my god, you are! You totally are! YOU SON OF A BITCH, YOU CAN SNEAK PAST THE GUARDS WITH A DISGUISE! BRILLIANT!

Aww, man. The video's over. I wanted more. :(

Still, totally psyched for what you've shown us, BM. Loved the music, the environments, the gameplay, everything! I am actually excited for something! I haven't been this excited for anything for quite some time!

One minor thing that was bugging me, though, was the run animation. The walk animations are great, but the run animation looks a little off and floaty, like they're just a torso being suspended in the air and carted along by some legs. Maybe make the centre of mass be slightly ahead of the run animation's movement? Humans sort of lean their entire weight forwards when running, so that would probably fix it easily. It's only a minor gripe, though.

Man, I really can't wait to see and hear more about this. Man, and when the alpha's actually released, and I can go play it? I can't even... SO PSYCHED.

Bare Mettle, you guys are doing revolutionary work here. Seriously, it's all sorts of awesome.

Last edited:

Turmoil

Very nice.

The fight against the guard inside the castle seemed very dangerous. I can only imagine how difficult it would be to fight the first two guards at the gate at once. Fighting against multiple opponents is probably going to be my favorite activity in the final product if it is as fun as it looks it will be.

Although, I'll probably spend my first couple hours of the game tripping over furniture for shits and giggles.

5:15 was easily the best part of the video for me.

lautiloco

this is a copy of the comment i made on the video:
incredble!
and this is only pre-alpha! PRE-alpha!
there are finished games with less polish than this!

and now, some little details i noticed.
walking animations need a little more polish, but only a little.
i don´t know if it was my imagination, but i think the character was levitating a bit from the ground? im not really sure, but it seemed like that to me
the combat animations could too use some more polish.

but overral, this is incredible for a pre-alpha game.
oh, and i loved how the character tripped with the chair.
i can only imagine how situations like that can affect combat.

oh, and one question: when the character moves objects around with the mouse, will that have a limit range? without that, that thing is basically telekinesis

added question: i noticed the life bar had 3 layers, one yellow, one orange, and one red.
how does the life bar work exactly?

Oona

Insider
AMAZING! I loved it all so much! (including the laughs in the end :D)

Bring on the Alpha, I seriously cannot wait!!!!

Last edited:
FINALLY :D

After so long we have gotten a public video.
I really wish I could afford to upgrade my pledge and see the developer videos.

Can't want for alpha release :D

ZaratanCho

Insider
Looks gorgeous, love the music. The amount of detail is quite amazing.

The fight with the two handed sword against the guard was pretty interesting i liked it alot. The keep(?) looks epic, just imagine the world populated and buzzing. Placing and moving objects is great, seems very intuative and precise. When you do something you do it good(more than good). I also saw a mans butt, very nice (hahaha).

will that have a limit range?
I would imagine so. It looked like it.

I am happy, but the combat and such things as amazing as it seems are secondary for me. The world, story, "quests"(...), lore, dialogue and interaction needs to be very good as well. I just hope it is going to be as good as i think.

On the combat i can't critisize anything really(i don't know how progression will affect it), the animations look alot better. When i play it myself i will be able to give adequate critic about combat, if needed.

I guess this is all for now. ;d

BigT2themax

Insider
Err... I may have gotten a bit carried away with my post there. Pardon my sillyness, there.

I'm especially looking forward to hearing more about the non-combat-related NPC AI. The 'sneak past guards by wearing all the bits of equipment that the game's AI knows is associated with those guards' part seems to show how well that's coming along, and I really hope things like that will just be possible due to emergent qualities of the AI, and not all just made to happen purposefully. The combat animations have improved so much, I barely even notice as I'm focusing more on the actual combat and what's going on rather than how the characters are animated.

I can't wait to see more!

Psychomorph

Insider
Marvelous!

I love how the great sword and pole arms are carried on the shoulder. Love how teleporting happens without flashy green and yellow bubbles. Thaumaturgy is mean in SG I see.

I wonder, will there be only two movement modes, walk and run? I'd like to see a walk, slow jog and fast run. Maybe changed by the scroll wheel. If you zoom in on the character their walk speed could slow down to a sneak.

Great stuff.

Pilluminati

Insider
The bad:
  • That bold font in the UI which looks like it was taken out of a terminal from the 80's
The good:
  • Everything else. Seriously. Amazing :D!

Sandalwood

Insider
AMAZING! I'm more excited than ever for the game.
What i especially liked was when she tripped over the chair - awesome!

Minq

Insider
Dem fiziks

The animations have greatly improved and the ragdoll upon death isn't so floaty, as it was before. My only gripe is the running animations, they look off. But I could live with it. Here's for more enemy types, weapons, magics, and quests! Good work, BM, it looks great.

Also, the music is coming along nicely, I really really enjoyed that part.

ShaunRemo

Insider
Utterly brilliant, everything in that video was amazing.
I am so glad this is coming along so well the combat, environment, objects and characters all look incredible. the only downside is that we can't play it yet.
Keep up the great work I look forward to try and storm a castle by myself.

That was brilliant. There were so many awesome moments in that video. I thought it was great in the beginning how the player could take down a better equipped opponent by using an improvised weapon. I loved the combat, the graphics, the physics, but I especially loved the little things. Tripping over the chair, placing objects in what looked like an easy and precise manner, teleporting onto the rooftop (video games in the past have trained me to think that rooftops are automatically inaccessible), and so much more. Teleporting the enemy was also a nice (and unexpected) moment.

Anoe

Insider
I keep watching this video over and over and over again and just can't stop. It is just amazing how much you were able to accomplish with such a small team. Cloth physics, fire, water, shadows, detailed environment - all looks great, but the most interesting for me is to see how your plans became a reality. Getting new equipment after death, for example - even pitchfork can be deadly weapon in the right hands. And the inventory handling is perfect. And being able to disguise using guard's clothes - very promising feature.

Displacement powers are a bit overpowered, but again, I know its just demonstration and not a final product.

Thank you!

JezeT

Insider
Wow. You guys still impress me alot. This video was the perfect proof why I wanted to back you guys up.
Only thing that troubled me was the "a bit floaty" running animation, but oh well Pre-Alpha so I let that slide for now.

Anyway keep up the amazing work. Gj! :)

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.