New Public Video

Tom

Insider
Woot, Madoc posted! He heard our criticism and is going to use it for great justice!

We're going to release a quick video showing the improvement and also explaining the controls clearly.
And wait what? Another video, not only showing the improving running animation, but explaining the controls?

Christmas did come early.

Stupidity

Supporter
We're going to release a quick video showing the improvement and also explaining the controls clearly.
Brilliant!

I suggest that in your next video you show off a little more. That falling guard and the tripping over the chair were the highlights of the film. In the next video you should have the main character doing controlled falls off ledges and actually knocking down opponents.

It would really sell the game!

It sounds ridiculous but he isn't wrong. The physics is a highlight. Up until this video, my favourite had been the pre-alpha combat one where the guy gets pushed into a stand and oranges roll everywhere. More stuff like that would be ideal. And show off some other UIs, people get excited by stuff like that (or is it just me?).

I apologise if I'm asking to much, just trying to give some pointers on what people might like to see.

Psychomorph

Insider
I like the comments on Google+, errm, I mean YouTube:

"Diablo + Dark Souls"

Although, kind of untrue, because SG is unique, but we always reach out for familiar and respected things in order to try and highlight the better aspects of the new.

BrecMadak

Insider

"Diablo + Dark Souls"

Although, kind of untrue, because SG is unique, but we always reach out for familiar and respected things in order to try and highlight the better aspects of the new.
Oh thy great sickness of similitude in human nature. It is so hilarious that people will never get tired doing it so.

Fresh

Insider

"Diablo + Dark Souls"

Yea, I've been laughing some at that comment, don't get the Diablo reference. I guess SG have a isometric view and so does Diablo = practically the same game. The comment also got 13 likes. Kotaku also described SG like this "Sui Generis looks a lot like Dark Souls mixed with Diablo..." I just don't get the reference at all.

Rob

Yes, especially given that Dark Souls was such a horrifically awful pathetic excuse for a game on the PC, especially in terms of graphics and controls, even after the patches. Even if it was considered a good game in the console world.

To draw comparisons between Dark Souls and Sui Generis seems like a huge insult, and makes my skin crawl.

But Psychomorph & BrecMadak are right - people are always going to try to reduce a new concept to something that they've seen before. I suppose we've got to live with that.

BigT2themax

Insider
Yes, especially given that Dark Souls was such a horrifically awful pathetic excuse for a game on the PC, especially in terms of graphics and controls, even after the patches. Even if it was considered a good game in the console world.

To draw comparisons between Dark Souls and Sui Generis seems like a huge insult, and makes my skin crawl.
Hey, now. Dark Souls on the PC was a terrible port, I'll give you that, but it's still a pretty good RPG. Don't go slinging around phrases like that, man.

I think people are saying it's like dark souls because of the more (comparatively) slow-paced and careful combat. Dunno why they're saying diablo, though. Maybe just for the camera angle, I guess? It's a pretty weird comparison.

Scarecrow

Insider
Yeah, i mean i get the references. In Sui Generis, every encounter is meaningful, and could potentially kill you. Much of the same in Dark Souls, at least on your first play through. Sui Generis aims to be challenging and skillful in terms of combat, and so is Dark Souls. Sui Generis is isometric, and so is Diablo... Err.

Alright, i don't agree with the Diablo references, i guess that was only said because of both games having isometric view. And although Dark Souls and Sui Generis are two incomparable games, I think people were thinking more of the challenge, pacing, etc of the combat, and not necessarily game play features in of it self. They are two vastly different games, but they do seem to share some game design philosophy.

And I have to agree with BigT; The PC port of Dark Souls was horrendous. However, I think the game itself was fantastic, at least when played on the console.

Rob

Hey, now. Dark Souls on the PC was a terrible port, I'll give you that, but it's still a pretty good RPG. Don't go slinging around phrases like that, man.
Reading it back, perhaps I was being a bit unnecessarily harsh. I didn't mean to start a conversation about whether or not Dark Souls is a good rpg! I guess I'm just still bitter about the PC version - I had to stop playing it after 5 hours and never looked at it again. I'm sure the console version is very good.

BigT2themax

Insider
Reading it back, perhaps I was being a bit unnecessarily harsh. I didn't mean to start a conversation about whether or not Dark Souls is a good rpg! I guess I'm just still bitter about the PC version - I had to stop playing it after 5 hours and never looked at it again. I'm sure the console version is very good.
It's all good, mate. If I had played a terrible port of a game and not known very much about the non-port version, I'd probably think the non-port version wasn't very good because of it. ;)

Well, that got settled all nice and politely, huh? So glad the community here is so nice, it's kinda rare on the internet.

Reactions: Rob
Well, that got settled all nice and politely, huh? So glad the community here is so nice, it's kinda rare on the internet.
Well **** you, you stupid cun*, there are no nice people on the internet you bloody pu***, IT'S A MYTH, I'm telling you, it's a fu**ing myth, and you're a stupid **** to believe such nonsense!

There are only immature pricks on the internet - the nice community is a LIE! ****.

:p

On a more serious note, I agree.
This community is very... modest and polite. Mostly. :D

tiny lampe

Insider
Talking about comparisons, do you guys remember in the kickstarter days that SuiGeneris was marketed as 'Grand Theft Auto meets Morrowind in an open world RPG'?

For me that was a much more unfortunate comparison that the ones we are seeing now. I understand that BareMettle invoked GTA to highlight that SuiGeneris would be a very open game, with plenty of freedom and possibilities but, frankly, I don't think it worked. In my opinion, the people who are going to be interested in SuiGeneris are those who feel attracted by skillful melee combat and don't mind to be thrown in a world where there is no hand-holding, voiced dialogue, scripted quests, and red dots pointing where the enemies are. For those kind of hardcore players, I think, GTA is merely a popular game about 'guns and stealing cars' so nothing attractive here. In that sense, Dark Souls is a much better comparison because not only does it have the skilfull combat but it also fits with the idea of no hand-holding, no scripted quests, barely no spoken dialogue etc.

Komuflage

Insider
If you have a PS3/Xbox controller, you can use that, and the game will work just as good (even better since you most likely have better hardware) than the console version.
I'm a bit torn on the subject of whatever it's a bad port or not. The game was designed to work with a controller, and if you use it for the PC, the PC version is "flawless". (you do need to unlock 30+FPS and 1080P in the ini file though)
This is ofc subjective. Anyways, try the game with a controller, and you're in for a treat.

Rob

If you have a PS3/Xbox controller, you can use that, and the game will work just as good (even better since you most likely have better hardware) than the console version.
I'm a bit torn on the subject of whatever it's a bad port or not. The game was designed to work with a controller, and if you use it for the PC, the PC version is "flawless". (you do need to unlock 30+FPS and 1080P in the ini file though)
This is ofc subjective. Anyways, try the game with a controller, and you're in for a treat.
Thanks for the tip :)

However, I'm afraid I'd already done that. Before playing I unlocked 60fps & 1920x1200, and used an Xbox controller due to the all the negative comments about mouse&keyboard. Still found it completely unplayable. Very frustrating as I was genuinely really looking forward to it after all of the positive reviews.

I've given up with Dark Souls 1, but I'm trying to keep an open mind about Dark Souls 2, given that they've actually designed it with the PC in mind. Fingers crossed and hope for the best!!!

Komuflage

Insider
Thanks for the tip :)

However, I'm afraid I'd already done that. Before playing I unlocked 60fps & 1920x1200, and used an Xbox controller due to the all the negative comments about mouse&keyboard. Still found it completely unplayable. Very frustrating as I was genuinely really looking forward to it after all of the positive reviews.

I've given up with Dark Souls 1, but I'm trying to keep an open mind about Dark Souls 2, given that they've actually designed it with the PC in mind. Fingers crossed and hope for the best!!!
Now this is very oftopic, so I put it in a spoiler.

Oh ok, I had no idea :p The only problems I had with the game was just, controller and resolution, may I just ask what else were troubling you?

I have a question about the video. When looking at item stats, the slider like thing for weight: does that show the weight distribution of the weapon (if the circle is to the right, it's top heavy) or does that show the actual weight of the weapon?

Scarecrow

Insider
I have a question about the video. When looking at item stats, the slider like thing for weight: does that show the weight distribution of the weapon (if the circle is to the right, it's top heavy) or does that show the actual weight of the weapon?
Good question. It also made me think of whether the weight slider goes for all weapons in game, or for that particular weapon class? Lets say the weight slider tells how heavy the weapon is only. I noticed that the Flanged Mace was very far up on the slider, closing in on maximum. Does that mean it is a very heavy one handed weapon, or a very heavy weapon in general? Because i would think that two handed mauls and stuff would weigh a lot more.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.