Postponement

Kieran

Developer
With less than six months left until our planned release date we can see that we're behind schedule. We thought it best to communicate this now rather than later. We also want to reprioritise current development goals in a way that is more satisfying for you and easier to manage.

Rather than rush to release something incomplete or just keep you waiting we thought to release a prelude which only requires a subset of the game's functionality while we take our time completing features properly and fleshing out the game world. While quite different in scope from the final game this will still be a very enjoyable game in its own right. Besides building a small independent plot (which ties in with the world's lore) no work would go into this that isn't required for the main game and most of the team will be working on other aspects of the game anyway. What it will allow us to do is bring a number of core features to completion first and continue developing others and the world without trying to do everything at once.

We have a somewhat atypical development process in that rather than pile on playable content we develop large complex systems that can deliver content more efficiently and drive it more meaningfully. It's never as simple as add a new character, animation, dialogue or object; everything is part of big unified totality that must support all aspects and instances of those things. We've seen how this can be frustrating for our backers because until these systems are complete there's not much to see. This is fundamental to our design though, we want everything to be playable and interactive in many ways, not just one; we want a reactive and dynamic world that feels real, where there's depth and substance to everything, not just surface. We also believe this is a good strategy for a small team like us working on a project of this scale, our limited resources don't really allow for a more brute force approach.

Much of what we're aiming for is very ambitious and without many precedents but we've been consitently achieving the ambitious goals we set for ourselves. What we weren't prepared for when we set our release date is the difficulties we would encounter in the Kickstarter campaign and the level of quality people were demanding on every front. We assumed that as an indie team trying to do things differently some things would be forgiven. This critical response has driven us to achieve higher quality standards than we were originally aiming for and this has been very time consuming. This is obviously just a natural result of not developing a game behind closed doors but opening ourselves to frequent feedback. We weren't prepared for this and we've probably been putting too much effort into pleasing all our fans. When you want more and better we wholeheartedly agree, this for us is the game, not just a game. As we've said before, our intent has always been to deliver a game and then continue to improve it and expand it after release, providing these improvements and new content as free updates. Many of these improvements have taken a higher priority than anticipated. Sometimes it has been counterproductive to make premature improvements to unfinished things but often feedback has led us to significantly upgrade important features that would have been difficult to change later.

Our current goal is to complete a playable version of this prelude and release it to our alpha level backers. We've come up with a simple design that should give it great replayability and make it a good platform to experience and test many aspects of the game. Keeping it separated from the bulk of the main game content should also provide an unspoiled and more exciting experience when it is released. Also planned for this prelude is the ability to duel your friends on LAN with characters you build in the single player experience. The prelude will be set in the underworld and some years before the full game's plot takes place. It will be story driven but without the more dynamic event system and NPC interaction which we are still developing.

We're going to take our first and only holiday over Christmas to visit friends and family and we plan to release an alpha version of the prelude in February. As we continue work on the main game we will also be adding completed features to the prelude. More complete versions of the prelude will be released to beta and then all backers more or less in line with our original release date plan.

We hope that you can forgive us for this delay and that you know we are fully committed to making this game as good as it can possibly be.

Best,
Bare Mettle

I doubt any one could be disappointed at this point. Watching this game come together has been an overly enjoyable experience in itself. I knew the moment I saw the Kickstarter that this was a project I, and most others here I'm sure, would stand beside till the very end. Keep up the good work and excuse me while I upgrade to Alpha tier.

peta97

Insider
It's nice to have an update on the timeframe, no worries with the delay, it's completely understandable. Have a nice holiday and keep up the great work, this game will be fantastic, solely based on Baremettle's dedication and passion! Try to keep in mind that there will always be critics, even with innovative games like this (especially one that isn't released yet).

ZaratanCho

Insider
Thanks for the information. I'd say it is good news, surely it is for the better. I really like it is going to be a prelude, because this...
Keeping it separated from the bulk of the main game content should also provide an unspoiled and more exciting experience when it is released.
Looking forward to february.

Keep up the good work, you're great.

lautiloco

im actually reliefed.
because we didn´t know almost anything about the world, i wasn´t sure how long would the game had been. we only saw gameplay and technical stuff, so i thought that maybe you wouldn´t have much time to put things on the story.

with this delay, now im happy that you actually have time to make a better plot, lore, etc., and of course, more time for dedicating to gameplay.

now, back to my lair to wait for february

Komuflage

Insider
What we weren't prepared for when we set our release date is the difficulties we would encounter in the Kickstarter campaign and the level of quality people were demanding on every front.

This critical response has driven us to achieve higher quality standards than we were originally aiming for and this has been very time consuming.

We assumed that as an indie team trying to do things differently some things would be forgiven.

When you want more and better we wholeheartedly agree, this for us is the game, not just a game.
I can understand how this can be a bit frustrating, but at the same time, like you say yourself, this is (for you, and for a lot of us) 'The game' hence I can understand why people want everything as perfect as it can possible be.
Settling with "decent" is not an option if you guys really want to create the "perfect" game.

Now It's been expected that you wouldn't make full release before may. And personally I rather have a finished game 1 year after the first release date, than an unfinished game by the release date (If this makes any sense)

I think your decision is perfectly sensible thing to do.

I wish you all the best of luck and keep up with your amazing work.

Torhque

Insider
Not disappointed in the least bit. I'm actually excited and relieved much like the others here. Please take your time. It is obviously benefitting the game a ton. Your latest video was fantastic in my opinion (including the combat video :)).

I'm also relieved to see that I will have something to play with soon. The plan sounds completely reasonable, so good luck with that devs.

I hope you enjoy your holiday(s) with the family. I'll be waiting anxiously for that prelude you've teased us with haha

Last edited:

Dorag

It's an amazing game and you've done a wonderful work so far, so this is completely understandable, I especially liked what you said in this post, that this is not a game, rather it is the game, I love the fact that you're aiming to make an engine built fundementally to support a dynamic world with dynamic objects, different ways of interactions, and properties to different materials.

I've got one question if you can answer it here, will you be releasing your engine for sale after the game's done?

Have you thought of that atleast?

That is all, thank you, and it is "Worth the wait" -Gabe, as with all games.

Parco

as mentioned many times in this post and many times in other posts, we dont mind that the release date gets pushed out. And that this christmas will be your first holiday during the development period is kinda surprised me, i hope you guys dont overwork yourself, and i hope you'll enjoy this well earned holiday. (and in the future, give yourself some times off to take more holidays/vacations, you guys deserves it ;))

Oona

Insider
It's an amazing game and you've done a wonderful work so far, so this is completely understandable, I especially liked what you said in this post, that this is not a game, rather it is the game, I love the fact that you're aiming to make an engine built fundementally to support a dynamic world with dynamic objects, different ways of interactions, and properties to different materials.

I've got one question if you can answer it here, will you be releasing your engine for sale after the game's done?

That is all, thank you, and it is "Worth the wait" -Gabe, as with all games.
Honestly I think the engine alone can make Bare Mettle filthy rich! What RPG (and not only...) dev in their right mind wouldn't want some of this?

Last edited:

lvk

Insider

I'm not a team member, but I'm certain they mentioned they were going to license the engine to others eventually. I believe it was the Forbes interview, but I'd have to check.

(edit) I checked, and it was indeed the interview with Erik Kain from Forbes.
Do you have any plans to license out the engine you’ve created to other developers or publishers? Also, the ease with which you can apparently build terrain and add content to the world seems like it would make for incredibly simple and robust modding—will you provide support for mods?

Definitely. I’m already licensing the engine for non game applications though I have an understanding with the licensee. Obviously it’s going to take quite some work for the engine to be made ready for use by anyone. [...]

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.