Postponement

Rev

Insider
It's quite possible the delay is to encourage people like me, who have ZERO patience... To increase their contribution just to see some footage they haven't seen yet... And guess what... It worked.

Going to spend my night watching the development videos on repeat I think.

maerdog

Insider
yeah...it's March 3rd....I believe the pre-alpha prelude was promised for Feb? it's cool...just would like an updated and accurate timeframe to plan around... :(

Llamalad

Insider
yeah...it's March 3rd....I believe the pre-alpha prelude was promised for Feb? it's cool...just would like an updated and accurate timeframe to plan around... :(
I have to agree with you to an extent buddy, the delays actually kind of baffled me in a way.

If they are releasing an alpha, why is Madoc slaving, finding 10-15 bugs a day, as he said he was doing earlier on? It's nice of them to try to polish this to a shine now, but it is an alpha; they should be using us to find and report bugs, and to test the game on various machines. I don't think that any of us would pick up the alpha, find a bug, and flip their desk yelling about how much of a bunch of dung it is. We all know it's an alpha, I suggest passing it out and getting us to do the testing work the way alphas were run in the past.

Just an opinion, of course, but that was what I thought I'd signed up for when I first backed the project, and delays like this tend to pile up. I don't want to see the development process to be chalked up as "plagued by delays" when the first reviews of the finished game come out, since that just gives the wrong impression.

lvk

Insider
@Llamalad Because the game doesn't function on AMD graphics cards right now. Releasing an alpha which approximately half of the backers can't play isn't good PR. After that works again, they're releasing the first alpha.

Fawz

Insider
@Llamalad @maerdog If you look through this thread you'll find quite a few posts from the Dev team about why there's a few extra days of delay on the Alpha. They're working as hard as they can but technical issues are holding them back.

Here are the quotes from the Devs in order of posting:

Well, as it is we're kind of rushing to release something because we promised you we would, a lot of features are functional but not properly integrated, somewhat incomplete, don't work under certain conditions, have glitches that still need to be fixed etc. At the moment I'm fixing (and discovering!) issues at the rate of 2-3 a day, I expect this to continue for some time after we release a first bare bones version and so frequent updates should be expected. This should mean features being added and the actual prelude being developed. I'm sure also a lot of things we didn't think of will come to light when many people are playing it, it's hard to get much play testing done or keep track of everything when we're working all the time! The combat, animation and AI systems are truly a huge complex beast, there's a lot WIP stuff in there.
Feb at all is tight to be honest, it will be the end of the month. Literally. Like 23:59 on the 28th :rolleyes:
We're really trying our absolute best but unfortunately we've had some unexpected and upsetting compatibility issues. AMD OpenGL is riddled with problems, some of which made the game unplayable. I just last night found a workaround to fix the last of the serious ones but I still need to fully implement the solution. I've wasted a lot of time with unsuccessfully trying to find some way to stop these problems from surfacing. We have over twelve hundred alpha backers, more than 40% need to be able run it! We had a go at getting it working on Intel graphics, it's doubtful they have the performance to run the game but it's worth a try. So far we've only managed to produce a blank screen on those and even that was a challenge.

We've fallen behind schedule because of these problems but bar any more unexpected issues it should all be ready in just a few days, tomorrow is unfortunately not possible at this point.
Really, really sorry about the delay guys, we're also really excited to finally have some people try the combat. Made very good progress today, few important things to do still but it's quickly getting there.

Llamalad

Insider
@Llamalad @maerdog If you look through this thread you'll find quite a few posts from the Dev team about why there's a few extra days of delay on the Alpha. They're working as hard as they can but technical issues are holding them back.

Here are the quotes from the Devs in order of posting:

Oh, for sure, I understand entirely, and I have read this thread through and through as it developed haha, I was just voicing the confusions I had had initially. I have full faith that the team will produce something as soon as they can, and I'm sure there are many limitations that I can't even fathom coming from the size of their team. Small-unit operations are often far more intricate than their larger brethren, after all.

turtleman155

Insider
god damn your all evil .
well most of you atleast. getting my hopes up like that
(not the devs the people posting fake pictures)

Last edited:

Tony

Insider
When I first saw the Kickstarter for SG (over a year ago) and noticed the estimated release date I thought "no chance they'll get it finished by then". For a game as ambitious and innovative as Sui Generis to be created by a team that is less than 1/10th the size of a typical development team, it would have taken a miracle for them to make their initial goal of 1.5 years. Considering most games take 3-5 years (with a large development team) some delays are to be expected. If the full game is released within three years I'll be very impressed.

I think Bare Mettle is making the right choice in regard to releasing bits and pieces of the game at a time. This way the early backers get to be a part of the creation process and aren't left completely in the dark. It should also help to improve the overall quality of the game because players will find many bugs and issues that the BM team alone would not. It is easier to fix bugs early on as opposed to late in the development cycle when other systems and mechanics might be related to the bug and need a complete reworking as well. Better to get the bugs squashed early on and avoid creating more work for themselves.

I'm very excited (and it appears everyone else is too!) to get my hands on Sui Generis and to help Bare Mettle in any way possible. However, I also understand that creating a game is a very complex process and to do it right takes time.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.