Prelude Alpha Release

Kieran

Developer
The first prelude alpha is now available from our website. For those of you who haven't caught on yet, the prelude is named Exanima. If you have alpha access then go grab it and then come to our forum and tell us what you think. You're our first testers so this first release is still under NDA until we've dealt with eventual major issues, please keep this in mind!

So, we've somehow overcome the huge ordeal of developing all the functionality and technology needed for a fairly complete playable experience. It may even appear very complete and polished but don't forget this is only the first alpha, there are many features and improvements to come for both Exanima and Sui Generis. This is happening very quickly now that we've gotten the really big and difficult stuff done. Some of the features we have not completed yet will obviously have a massive effect on the game, such as character advancement and thaumaturgy but we have been focusing on things that we believe present the biggest technical challenges and making sure we get them right. Even so we believe this alpha is very enjoyable and that we've already largely succeeded in providing the kind of atmosphere and experience we're aiming for.

This alpha is fairly short and doesn't have a proper conclusion, that's because it's the earliest part of the prelude. Once we've gone through some initial testing and completed the most urgent features and improvements we'll be opening up more of the prelude and then going into beta. The first full release should be close behind. Don't underestimate the volume of content though, you will have to be quite thorough to discover everything and all doors except the big double metal ones can be unlocked.

Please be sure to consult the control reference in the first run screen or the included readme file, you may have difficulty with certain interactions if you don't know the controls! Customisable controls in the in game settings screen will be included in a future release.

As mentioned before we will continue to add features and improvements to Exanima as we develop them for the full game. This will allow us to get your feedback as we continue with development and improve both the prelude and full game experience. In the near future we plan to release a roadmap of major development goals. This will give you a clear idea of what we're working on and perhaps even allow you to influence how those goals are prioritised.

Some of the more urgent things that didn't make it into this release:

• More AI behaviours, with some very significant gameplay implications!
  • Greater environment interactivity
  • Walk/step backwards out of combat (with keyboard)
  • Automatic input correction to assist walking very near obstacles
  • Improved performance
  • Saving progress for multiple session playthroughs
  • Customisable controls
  • Various control improvements
  • Doors affecting room visibility system
  • Improved animations, especially for undead
The game is quite uncoventional in many ways but it shouldn't take long to get used to everything. It's fairly limited in scope for now but don't treat it as you would an action RPG, take your time and consider what you do, the most obvious thing is rarely the best.

As usual, to download the alpha access your account page on our website using your backer email address. If you don't have your password just use the forgot password feature.

Here's a few screenshots for those who can't yet see it first hand:

Best,

Bare Mettle

tiny lampe

Insider
I have a question regarding chests.

In many games, chests can contain any amount of items of any size regardless of the physical dimensions of the chest. In other words, it's possible for a small chest to store a huge two-handed axe even though that should be physically impossible.

In Sui Generis, will loot found in chest be constrained by the physical dimensions of the chest or will chests be like 'void holes' where anything and everything can be stored?

Even if it may look like a small detail, I think it would enchance immersion if chest size determined what could be found inside.

burgzaza

Insider
Congratz for this awesome release of a game I knew it will blow my mind 2 years ago and blasted me even more that what I expected !

Just a question, I currently have Exanima 0.3.2 installed, what do I do with the 0.3.3 version ? Do we need to uninstall the previous one or can we overwrite ?

Darkgondul

Insider
Congratz for this awesome release of a game I knew it will blow my mind 2 years ago and blasted me even more that what I expected !

Just a question, I currently have Exanima 0.3.2 installed, what do I do with the 0.3.3 version ? Do we need to uninstall the previous one or can we overwrite ?
The installer will automatically overwrite the files, just execute.

Fantastic job on all the fields I must say, from the intrigue of the prelude lore, to the technical aspects, the only thing that I can do after this deep run it's speculate on the dead corpses around the basement zones, and spamming around the rpg community on the web, that I know, the magnificent work that you've done so far, great job!

Fawz

Insider
Nice official update, especially enjoyed the high quality 1080p screenshots! :D

I actually hadn't noticed those wooden boxes were chests, I was trying to move them or inspect them (single click) but for some reason I didn't consider them being a container. Curious to know what I missed now!

Tony

Insider
Unrelated, it's not really our style to ask this of you but if you like our Kickstarter updates and even post the odd comment it would help show that the project is still alive and that we do have our community's support.
Done and done! I'll gladly and openly show my support for SG and Bare Mettle, especially if it'll help. I also make sure to keep my close friends in the loop and share the public announcements/screenshots/videos with other forums I frequent to help spread the word.

Is a new public video in the works? I think this would help quite a bit to inspire confidence since the last public video on Youtube was released almost a year ago. Also, any status update on Berky? Hopefully a full recovery was made?

Last edited:
Will i be able to play the prelude now if i buy the DIGITAL RELEASE TIER?
Cause have not the money right now for the
DIGITAL ALPHA TIER...

Tony

Insider
Will i be able to play the prelude now if i buy the DIGITAL RELEASE TIER?
Cause have not the money right now for the
DIGITAL ALPHA TIER...
Only alpha tier backers have access to the currently released alpha version of the prelude. The regular digital tier will give you access to the prelude when it's officially released and no longer in testing.

Okey bought the DIGITAL ALPHA TIER anyway and it was a blast to play!
only thing im curious about is that in an earlier trailer i saw that you can use force push or something like that, but cant find that button for it in the prelude.
Anyone who knows?

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.