questions regarding combat

arrob

hello, i want to ask two questions regarding combat and hope you can give me objective answers.

ive seen combat videos and especially one thing makes me curious: if players were pushed one the ground by any force, they slowly stood up but it seems they have no possibility to do anything when this happened. its always very frustrating to loose control over character and just wait until he recovered while getting hit. its also not very realistic, since you can imagine various things while being on the ground, like rolling away to evade a strike, blocking or even striking. will this really be passive as it seems to me or do you have the possibilities i stated?

my other question is if swords use a correct model. i assume yes but that would conclude things that do not fit. like how is the character able to block strikes from both directions (left/right) if there is only one blocking key? you can either hold your sword that it blocks hits from the one or the other side, not both the same. will strikes also be able to block incoming strikes theirselves, as it should be possible in reallife?

besides that im still curious if one possibility to strike is enough, directional strikes/blocking could be a very good thing. i once played a top-scroller which offered directional strikes by mouse movements, e.g. you move your mouse from left to right while holding down mouse1 to execute a strike in that direction. this way you can use different moves (stab also) without requiring more keys than now and maybe even adjust the force you want to put into one strike (which makes it slower ofc but more powerful).

Welcome to the forums! :)

For your first question, check this thread out.

For number two:
Blocking is automatic when you are not attacking. However, it is up to you to position your body so that the block is effective. Weapons always collide regardless of what you're doing with them.

For more information about the game in general, check out the list of dev quotes, here.

Komuflage

Insider
About defending/rolling when knocked down, you can read some about it here.
http://www.baremettle.com/sg/forums/index.php?threads/concerning-combat-recovery.1072/#post-12173
http://www.baremettle.com/sg/forums/index.php?threads/combat-system-defence-while-knocked-over.882/

Weapons use "correct" models yea, they are not just a texture.

like how is the character able to block strikes from both directions (left/right) if there is only one blocking key?
Well you can't.

Im a bit unsure about your last question.
You can already attack from different directions, as seen in the latest video.
And blocking is done simply by aiming around, so that the enemys weapon hit your shield.

Edit: Hmm Ninja'd

arrob

the threads you linked showed me that my issue was also brought up by other guys before. yet i only see speculations there, which are less helpful. i assume that does mean there is no official statement? would be nice if they could answer this.

so blocking will be automatically, that does explain why only one key needed and im ok with that. id like to get more information though on current combat mechanics. i watched the kickstartervideo (current one does not really explain things) and thus though there is only 1 atack key too (which results in one left and 1 right strike). that would definitly not satisfy me, but it seems they already reworked it?

Komuflage

Insider
only 1 atack key too (which results in one left and 1 right strike).
As it's right now, there only seem to be 3 attack moves, one left and one right as you mentioned, and one overhead/thrust, depending on what weapon you're using.
Whatever this will change or not, I can't say for certain, but I'm quite sure more will be added later on.

arrob

im sure you misunderstood me, but its not important now. ill try to be more precise: how do i execute a left/right strike or a stab/strike from top with my mouse?
i also noticed they will have directional damage, which i generally like. but do tell me how they intend to implement this into a top-scroller?? i dont see any way since it will very unlikely that you can aim your strikey to the legs/body/head, otherwise directional damage does not make much sense.
will i be able to adjust the force of my strikes, e.g. do a weak strike from left but then a hard one from right with my sword?

Komuflage

Insider
im sure you misunderstood me, but its not important now. ill try to be more precise: how do i execute a left/right strike or a stab/strike from top with my mouse?
i also noticed they will have directional damage, which i generally like. but do tell me how they intend to implement this into a top-scroller?? i dont see any way since it will very unlikely that you can aim your strikey to the legs/body/head, otherwise directional damage does not make much sense.
will i be able to adjust the force of my strikes, e.g. do a weak strike from left but then a hard one from right with my sword?
If I understood the video correctly, to do a Left - Right swing, you simple LMB when you got your cursor to the left of your character.

I'm a bit unsure how to perform a stab, the video simply say 'Hold LMB' but I would think you also need to hold the cursor in front of you.

Directional damages is in, I don't know if you can/will be able to aim your attacks at a specific body part.

About the force of your attacks. simply pressing LMB will just perform the attack, but you need to add force to the attack with momentum (Moving forwards/turning with the attack)

So if you want to do a Weak Left, and a Hard Right, you would simple have the cursor to the left of your character, Left click. Move the mouse to the right side, click again, only this time you would need to rotate your character with the swing, or use WASD to ad momentum. (This is just how I understood it, also I'm not good at explaining things in English)

tiny lampe

Insider
All of this has been already covered but let's see if I can summarize it:

1) If you click the attack button you will perform a right-to-left strike. Press the button again to follow up with a left-to-right strike. Those can be chained as long as you keep pressing the attack button. If you want to start with a left-to-right strike that's also posible. Position your crosshair on the left hand side of your character and then press the attack button.

2) Stabs are a special attack. To perform a special attack you need to press and hold the attack button. Depending on the weapon you will either perform a stab or an overhead attack.

3) Locational damage exists, yes. To target a specific body part simply position your crosshair over it and then perform an stab. As far as we know, only stabs allow for this kind of pin-point accuracy.

4) You can adjust the force of your attacks, yes. To do so, you need to coordinate your attacks with your footwork. How you step and turn as you attack is what is going to determine the strength of such attack. The basic idea is that moving adds (or subtracts) inertia to your attacks.

Hope the system is a bit more clear for you now.

Edit: ninja'd by Kamuflage.

arrob

thanks for your answers, its now more clear to me. exspecially the way you add force is really cool. im also glad that you can strike from different directions.
still im unsure about my first issue, the possibilities while knocked down, but i think ill need to wait until the devs adress this.

Actually, I think your both slightly off with the stabbing. I was under the impression that you hold to attack normally (slashes) (hence why you can stop a swing to do a "fakey"). And to stab, you double click, then hold the second click. So click, then click again and hold.

I'd also imagine that sweeping attacks to the legs will end up being another alternate attack.

Minq

Insider
Clicking twice does sound difficult, don't know if I'll be able to manage. Heh, just messin'. That does sound a little more tedious than I would like. I hope we can have extensive options for mapping keys.

Komuflage

Insider
I don't know, seems fine to me. It's just a double click when you think about it.
Sure, but a Shift - Left click goes faster.
And sometimes that 0.2 second can really matter.
Just like a V - A (this is the binds I use) is faster than to double tap A to evade.

Now I'm sure it won't be a problem anyway, it'll most likely will be rebindable at some stage.

arrob

i know really need to know which information that were given here are officially approved (with link pls) and which are speculation/wrong. i can only urge to say explicit if something is true or just speculation, its bad behaviour otherwise. all fighting videos/texts ive seen/read do even give less specific information, so if you have a valid source of those new combat mechanics just post it.

tiny lampe

Insider
Actually, I think your both slightly off with the stabbing. I was under the impression that you hold to attack normally (slashes) (hence why you can stop a swing to do a "fakey"). And to stab, you double click, then hold the second click. So click, then click again and hold.
You are right. To perform the 'normal' horizontal swings it seems we indeed have to hold the attack button. My bad!

About stabbing/overheads, I agree it sounds a a tiny bit less straightforward than what I had originally expected. I'm sure I can get used to it though.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.