Red Letters bug

Jacob Jones

Supporter
Okay so to start off, I couldn't find a general bug reporting thread, so I hope this is in an appropriate spot, and that someone sees it.

When I run the game from my laptop, which is running windows 10 (the issue existed on 8.1 as well) the opening screen with the Bare Mettle letters flickers and all the letters are red. The first time this happened I thought it looked kinda cool and thought it was part of the 5.3.1 patch.
EDIT: I couldn't capture the flicker, but it looks like the image is out of sync with the monitor, and in some frames I think I can see grey brick, but I'm not sure.
redletter.jpg
But I soon discovered that the enemy with the crescent axe thing in expert arena (he's the third enemy) has bright red steel chest piece, bracers, and shin-guards.
red guy.jpgdead red.jpg
on me.jpgmred.jpg
Arguably he looks more fancy, and gives the impression of a much nobler, and far more important knight. I tried to include screenshots, but I always capture the desktop and not the application, and since the devs have deemed me unworthy of a steam key, I cant take screenshots there either. (Hey devs gimme a steam key already its been months) If I can get it to work I will update with the screenshots.

Having said that- the game is considerably brighter on my laptop, and actually runs better at default settings than on my more powerful gaming desktop (running windows 7) using those same settings. The main menu screen flaunts a nifty back wall with a cool table and all sorts of nifty trinkets that I never even knew existed because on my desktop its just two sidewalls and a black void where the words are. I understand that these kinds of things are specific to my hardware, so I'd like to know how to send a report file or whatever.

Understand that I played on my desktop for hours and hours and hoursandhoursandhours before trying it on my laptop. This is when I saw the red letters but also was the first time I beat the novice arena in one go, with a new guy and the starter clothes it gives you. It is also the SECOND time I beat the novice arena AT ALL. (I was grabbing expert arena gear and going back to novice and still getting destroyed on my desktop) All of the sudden I was making faster swings, better timed dodges and fatal blows. I felt like a god! I could also see whilst in the arena because the lighting was so much better. The corner was dark but not pitch dark like on my desktop. Expert arena was bright enough to see at all times, while still being atmospherically "good and dungeon of death arena" looking. I was puzzled so I went and launched it up on my desktop. White letters on start up. silver armor on the axe guy. Pitch dark as usual. But I just felt like I was in one of those dreams where you are just beating the crap out of some jerk, but your punches are soooo slow- no matter how much force you try to use. Enemies seemed to be a bit slower too, but they have always seemed way to fast for me to react to. I still struggle to beat novice arena on my desktop for this very reason. I guess it was good training or something.

So yeah just thought I'd contribute the little red letters and red armor thing (I haven't been able to get past the first few rooms on the campaign so I don't know if anything else is the wrong color or not.) And share my experience in the arena. Sorry it ended up longer than I wanted to write. Thanks to anyone with positive feedback.

Last edited:

Murf

I think its f12 to screen shot on Steam, Settings>In-Game will show you hot key and where the folder is located. The red letters and weird armor is an OpenAL driver on your laptop is outdated I think.

Jacob Jones

Supporter
I tried to include screenshots, but I always capture the desktop and not the application, and since the devs have deemed me unworthy of a steam key, I cant take screenshots there either.
I never got a steam key in my account, and cannot play on steam. Incidentally my PrtScr button IS f12. It just only captures the desktop.

Last edited:

Murf

Oh, that sucks about Steam. Still a driver issue though. Either the opengl or openal, I forget which, someone else will know, not to worry.

Tony

Insider
To take a screenshot first press the "alt" + "enter" keys. This will make it go into windowed mode. Then press this combination once again to switch back to fullscreen. After doing so it will allow you to take a screenshot using the "PrtScn" button.

As far as not getting your Steam key these have to be sent out manually sometimes so if you did not receive one I'd suggest sending an email to [email protected]

Jacob Jones

Supporter
To take a screenshot first press the "alt" + "enter" keys. This will make it go into windowed mode
Taking a screenshot while in windowed mode worked for me. So I will update and show what it looks like.

As far as not getting your Steam key these have to be sent out manually sometimes so if you did not receive one I'd suggest sending an email to [email protected]
I've already sent a few emails and posted around the forums about it once or twice. I guess it doesn't hurt to try again. Maybe I'll just buy the game again on steam.

Madoc

Project Lead
The red text and some other issues are due to some Intel HD Graphics incompatibility. Does your laptop also have a dedicated card? You may need to enable it explicitly.

Strange that it should look so dark on your desktop. The arenas are well lit and you should clearly see the blue background lighting in the menu. Maybe you have the brightness on your monitor set low or a brightness / gamma setting on your graphics driver control panel?

Not sure what happened to your Steam key. We have had a few instances of people's emails going to spam. I'll make sure it gets sorted out ASAP.

Jacob Jones

Supporter
The red text and some other issues are due to some Intel HD Graphics incompatibility. Does your laptop also have a dedicated card? You may need to enable it explicitly
Nah its just an onboard card. But it is a dell with intell HD whatever stuff.

Strange that it should look so dark on your desktop. The arenas are well lit and you should clearly see the blue background lighting in the menu. Maybe you have the brightness on your monitor set low or a brightness / gamma setting on your graphics driver control panel?
I thought about that, and the contrast WAS set really high on my monitor, so darks were darker and brights were brighter. But I'll have to look in my Nvidia control panel- I didn't think to look there.

EDIT: Okay the gamma was super low in my Nvidia control panel, and there was an additional contrast setting that was up pretty high. This was stacking the contrast effect with what I see on my monitor- I don't know how I ever could stand looking at my monitor. I am pretty sure I left these settings at defaults so I was just used to the way it looked. After changing them I can clearly distinguish things from what used to be just dark. Yay!

Not sure what happened to your Steam key. We have had a few instances of people's emails going to spam. I'll make sure it gets sorted out ASAP.
I did check on my spam folders but I'm sure I missed it. Thanks I'll go look. I bought the game here because I wanted all my money to go to you guys, instead of steam taking a cut. But steam keeps everything updated, and logs my hours so I can boast about how it took me a million hours to beat expert arena! lol

Last edited:

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.