Sad update...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MindSliver

It's a simple fix Syllabear... if you get knocked out.. delete your character. bingo bango your dreams have all come true. I think what this comes down to is that at this point in the game we've been spoiled into thinking it's easier than it is. 3 of the 4 levels we've been playing for so long are tutorial dungeon. we get up to level 4 and suddenly we're facing Sir who's kicking all our asses around backwards.

When they add in the big content update with an additional 10 levels... god knows what we'll be facing, and there will be zero checkpoints, so if you make it to level 12 and die you're all the way back to 4. Say you get knocked out by a troll with a morning star and wake up with only a piece of wooden debree and a cloth tunic.... now on level 7 and knowing that the level is crawling with dangers that we have not yet even experienced... I think that will be a hell of a lot more intense than worrying about two zombies when you're already swinging a 2 handed sword and you're covered head to toe in chain and leather.

Also keep in mind that Exanima is a mini game compared to Sui Generis. It's just one long dive into one interesting bit of the underworld. if you're talking about a game that may have 40, 60, 80 hours of game play. being at the top of your game the whole time and then suddenly having to start a brand new character after putting in 60 hours would be exhausting. But being knocked out and suddenly in a position where you're on the defensive. desperate to find shelter or equipment at the risk of now easily losing everything you've worked so hard for? that's intense.

So give it time my friend. let it play out and see how things go in the long run. I suspect that it will be much more interesting and less easy than we think based out what we've played so far.

konggary

Maybe he's right; being pummeled by undead with sticks really should slay you, no matter if you are in full platemail.
Honestly, if you get knocked out, either A. you were exhausted while wearing armor or B. you got lucky & beaten within an inch of your life
Neither of these is good for the player and both make sense.

The only time I can see unconsciousness being wrong is if the red damage isn't realistic: a sword strike through the windpipe will down anyone, while a bunch of bruises won't be the permanent end of you. We can only hope the game is balanced, and by providing feedback to BM we can help this balance.

Maybe he's right; being pummeled by undead with sticks really should slay you, no matter if you are in full platemail.
Honestly, if you get knocked out, either A. you were exhausted while wearing armor or B. you got lucky & beaten within an inch of your life

The only time I can see unconsciousness being wrong is if the red damage isn't realistic: a sword strike through the windpipe will down anyone, while a bunch of bruises won't be the permanent end of you. We can only hope the game is balanced, and by providing feedback to BM we can help this balance.
We are in a beta test. the mechanics are not complete yet. Perhaps there should be the chance to get pummeled into a coma, but remember, it's also non-permanent damage.

You could also be beat the shit out of with batons and survive. Undead with wooden sticks shouldn't do too much more damage than that aswell. A quarter staff is different story, but a wooden chair leg?

Deityfierezy

Insider
In the first level I go to the zone before you found the two handed sword, there was a zombie and he knocked me, and when i wake up he hit me again, because my character does not have enough time to get up i get ko and so until I die, is not always worth get K.O.
Sometimes you may not get killed but they left you with little health and will give you a chance, and you have to try with that little health if you want to Git Gud.
Sorry for my english.

SyllaBear

WAAAT?! If those zombies beat sh*t out of you (your character of course, hehe) to the whole red scale, then you'll drop down dead as in previous versions, what's the problem? But are you still wearing armour?
Try to play this game in another ways - unarmoured, barehanded, etc. You'll gain your lovely red damage again then. I'm still not telling you, how to live and play, ok? Just talking (that's forum is existing for).

Also, maybe there will be some kind of finishing blows (or zombies/Sir will chew you up instead), who knows...
Ok, you absolutly missed my point it seems.
They are quiting emotion to play. Beucase if you just sleep when you are suposed to be killed, you wont be "scared" to face enemies at all. You know there are not consequences, changing the way you play.
For example: you are facing a zombie, he deals more than half bar damage and you nope out until you recover the rest of you stamina (opening and closing doors, etc, thats fun too) and come back to end the fight. Instead with the new system, you will just risk it, since you dont have nothing to lose but tiny slice of hp, permanently.

I hope you get the idea and not post nonsense or atleast not understanable stuff again.

In the first level I go to the zone before you found the two handed sword, there was a zombie and he knocked me, and when i wake up he hit me again, because my character does not have enough time to get up i get ko and so until I die, is not always worth get K.O.
Sometimes you may not get killed but they left you with little health and will give you a chance, and you have to try with that little health if you want to Git Gud.
Sorry for my english.
Why having "a chance" when you can play better every time?? You wont need that "chance".

Last edited:

SyllaBear

It's a simple fix Syllabear... if you get knocked out.. delete your character. bingo bango your dreams have all come true. I think what this comes down to is that at this point in the game we've been spoiled into thinking it's easier than it is. 3 of the 4 levels we've been playing for so long are tutorial dungeon. we get up to level 4 and suddenly we're facing Sir who's kicking all our asses around backwards.

When they add in the big content update with an additional 10 levels... god knows what we'll be facing, and there will be zero checkpoints, so if you make it to level 12 and die you're all the way back to 4. Say you get knocked out by a troll with a morning star and wake up with only a piece of wooden debree and a cloth tunic.... now on level 7 and knowing that the level is crawling with dangers that we have not yet even experienced... I think that will be a hell of a lot more intense than worrying about two zombies when you're already swinging a 2 handed sword and you're covered head to toe in chain and leather.

Also keep in mind that Exanima is a mini game compared to Sui Generis. It's just one long dive into one interesting bit of the underworld. if you're talking about a game that may have 40, 60, 80 hours of game play. being at the top of your game the whole time and then suddenly having to start a brand new character after putting in 60 hours would be exhausting. But being knocked out and suddenly in a position where you're on the defensive. desperate to find shelter or equipment at the risk of now easily losing everything you've worked so hard for? that's intense.

So give it time my friend. let it play out and see how things go in the long run. I suspect that it will be much more interesting and less easy than we think based out what we've played so far.
Exahusting, but not boring. Tiring, but challenging. With easy you will stop playing after a while. Having an extreme challenege you wont get bored of it until you are the best.
The only thing it would need to the way to perfection is more randomness. And maybe in a future more customization...

I dont want this game to be another "oh i played that easy game a few hours and i won it, now is taking dust in a corner kek. What a waste".

No that way, not getting permanent dmg all the time. Because when you are armored you have the chance to fly when you are losing. Thats another funny feature of this game...
Didnt some zombies teach you that? I remember chasing a zombie half map, i fell down and her just stabed in my head half permanent dmg xD It was super hilarious. I was like "SERIOUSLY??????"

Last edited:

The Witcher

Supporter
you actually lose normal health while unconscious i like the system how it is now personally a lot more than how it was before and those arent zombies they can actually think if you see how the AI reacts

SyllaBear

you actually lose normal health while unconscious i like the system how it is now personally a lot more than how it was before and those arent zombies they can actually think if you see how the AI reacts
Well, i dont. I just created another char because i really want to play, and at some point after killing so many zombies i just underestimate one and he took all my stamina. I said "oh heck, i fk up". NOT, my char woke up with just a tiny health dmg and i felt like not playing anymore (didnt even read the patched in that moment)...

NachoDawg

I hope, because i finally found a challenging single player that i really enjoy and they start adding easy stuff.

Losing a big amount of health and some items (your best ones...) would be a good trade, but not fair compared to a permanent death.

Or just maybe add game modes? Hardcore: no check points (nothing, absolutly) and permanent death even when you lose all your... stamina? And i would like random map. Soft: with knockdown. And cheat mode with maps, knock down, no permanent dmg and no keys or something like that, that sort of easy stuff that kids like.
And of course a sign that shows what mode you are playing.
I think it's important to point out that the KO function was planned long ago, and the entire KO mechanic is not finished. But they are also not going to add artificial things like "You wake up with xx% of your total health" or "you lose your 2 best items", difficulty levels or artificial difficulty at all. Everthing is going to work on a mix between fun and "this makes sense". If you were to lose items while unconcious then that would only be because someone took them from you. If you were to have lost health then it's because someone attacked you, or you bled out while unconcious (or something).

Lots of us didn't mind no KO mechanic and were fine before. Now things have been counter-balanced to be abit easier, but that's not some response to the community, it's just the game being made in its due process. We don't know exactely what is coming next. I heard getting KO'd by Sir is going to have dire consequenses. Regardless, what's abbundently clear is that our arm-chair developer comments aren't going to encroach on the original goal and vision- and I think most of us really appriciate that. Don't freak out, it looks silly around here.

I think it's important to point out that the KO function was planned long ago, and the entire KO mechanic is not finished. But they are also not going to add artificial things like "You wake up with xx% of your total health" or "you lose your 2 best items", difficulty levels or artificial difficulty at all. Everthing is going to work on a mix between fun and "this makes sense". If you were to lose items while unconcious then that would only be because someone took them from you. If you were to have lost health then it's because someone attacked you, or you bled out while unconcious (or something).

Lots of us didn't mind no KO mechanic and were fine before. Now things have been counter-balanced to be abit easier, but that's not some response to the community, it's just the game being made in its due process. We don't know exactely what is coming next. I heard getting KO'd by Sir is going to have dire consequenses. Regardless, what's abbundently clear is that our arm-chair developer comments aren't going to encroach on the original goal and vision- and I think most of us really appriciate that. Don't freak out, it looks silly around here.
Tell him something in about how the different enemies you encounter would do different things to you if you were KO'ed. Undead would do something, or just leave the body, Skeletons would probably act as guards and drag you off somewhere, and Sir, well, we don't know.

SyllaBear

The game will not feel the same with the ko... i was really enjoying the hardcore feel that when ive played d2 for example.
But if everyone its okay with adding easy to the game, then ill try to enjoy it anyways. But be sure it wont be the same enjoyment.

NachoDawg

It's sad to suddenly feel like you're not be in the target audience :p

KO wont simply be a "wake up and try again" game mechanic. It's going to have consequences, so lets just hold our breath and see what they come up with in the future

SyllaBear

It's sad to suddenly feel like you're not be in the target audience :p

KO wont simply be a "wake up and try again" game mechanic. It's going to have consequences, so lets just hold our breath and see what they come up with in the future
Yes we hope something interesting, because a tiny bite of health as dmg, is definitely a "wake up and try again".

Well, for me just quits to the game. You no longer feel that panic when you suddenly find two zombies and you are really scared and want to run away at all costs. Now instead "omg, i will just fight them, what do i have to lose? Just knock down LOL".
NOT.

How to be toxic: have just 1 comment to claim others are toxic.

Good job there.
If two zombies scare you I got bad news for you.... You should be able to take on 2-3 "zombies" without taking any damage at all...they're such simple minded enemies that are easily tricked.

And like others said before...as more smart enemies are added to the game...they WILL do stuff to you when you go k.o.
Imagine being in full plate armor...and then you get knocked out and wake up in a dank cell with no clothes or weapons at all....deep down in level 8 (or wherever) and your only way to get out is past those already hard to beat enemies....except...you won't have any gear.

SyllaBear

If two zombies scare you I got bad news for you.... You should be able to take on 2-3 "zombies" without taking any damage at all...they're such simple minded enemies that are easily tricked.

And like others said before...as more smart enemies are added to the game...they WILL do stuff to you when you go k.o.
Imagine being in full plate armor...and then you get knocked out and wake up in a dank cell with no clothes or weapons at all....deep down in level 8 (or wherever) and your only way to get out is past those already hard to beat enemies....except...you won't have any gear.

Watchout he can take 2-3 zombies naked.

Then you just confirm what i am saying: the game is not hard enough to add easy stuff like knock out.
You can do that, you can do it the rest of the game im pretty sure. There is no way you need even more adds to survive.

Last edited:

Just don't bother with this idiot. He's an idiot, and that's all you need to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.