Sad update...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony

Insider
I never thought that Blizzard would create a game like d3, which ive waited for so long...

I didnt know armor is being reworked, can you link me the source?
And i once blown someone eyes with a closed helmet in the arena, just a lucky hit. I can bet that guy got his share of permanent dmg.
Bare Mettle decided to create Exanima and Sui Generis because they wanted something different from what was currently available; they weren't too fond of current gaming trends. So far they've made zero profit from the four years worth of work put into the game and barely earn enough for basic living expenses. They're creating the game(s) because it's a passion and dream of theirs, not to earn a quick profit.

Comparing Bare Mettle to Blizzard is like comparing apples to oranges. Many people who've been following Bare Mettle from the start realize that the devs have been coming up with the ideas, concepts, mechanics and designs for the game for nearly two decades. It is not something they simply decided to create on a whim. This is why I said that if Bare Mettle implement a feature there's a very good reason and purpose for doing so and it's not a "waste of time".

As far as the comment about armor it was mentioned in a discussion with Madoc, not posted on the forums anywhere, so I can't link you. He said he's going to tweak piercing and crushing damage so they are capable of doing red damage even if someone is heavily armored.

Parco

can i jump in too?
Thought you will be happy to know that in Sui Generis (which everything in exanima is developed for) you wont only have the KO mechanics, but also a respawn mechanic for when you die :D (its part of the lore, its the only thing that makes you special compared to other npc's)
I also dont think a KO mechanic will make the game easier, maybe for now, but when more npc interactions are added there might be alot of stuff happening to you while you are out. weapons/armors looted, valuables stolen, dragged off somewhere, killed, etc,.. and since everyone plays by the same rules you can also do the same to others. imagine when youre at lvl 8 and get KO'd and you wake up almost naked (or just without weapons) with powerful and possibly aggressive npc's lurking around, i bet this should make it challenging enough. (im not sure if all of those interactions are planned for both sg and ex, or just sg.)

Fanzeo

Here's my two cents on the matter. I've sunk around 150 hours into the game beating the single player 3 times and having a full master roster in my arena, with my main wearing full exceptional plate and the rest wearing normal or higher quality. At first I found the game quite challenging, like most of us, and now I'm extremely consistent with my footwork/precision leaving myself feeling slightly underwhelmed. However, I understand that this is just the tip of the iceberg, and that the developers don't want to deter new players through unreasonable, unforgiving mechanics. As previous comments mentioned once new levels are added we are going to see a progressively more difficult game which will satiate us hardcore gamers.

In regards to the unconscious mechanic I do think it is a good thing. You're discounting the learning curve associated with examina and you're looking at it from the perspective of an experienced player. I too want more challenging content but I also want to see this game succeed above a niche crowd. Again, you still can die if your healthbar is consumed by red damage, and body looting will be implemented, as stated by many commentors. Don't be so quick to write off this game as being easy mode, because it certainly isn't. Although some of us may share your sentiments there is still a large percentage of players that feel very differently.

Patience young one! You may find that future content exceeds your expectation, causing you to reevaluate your views.

Give up what?
Another one jumping on the party without knowing what is about.

ps: oh i see your nick, turtleman, its obvious why you come laze to ze party.
You're being an edgy, insulting degenerate for petty reasons, blocking anyone that doesn't agree with you. No one is ever gonna take you serious if this is how you talk to people, it's laughable, not respectable.
If you had any clue of what a Beta game was, I bet you wouldn't've made this thread. In no way, whatsoever does the new knockout feature hinder the difficulty, only the 'Beta' game's unforgiving-ness. One small feature like this should not bother you to this point, you have issues, man. Some games push out updates that make the game less likable, like GTA 5, for example; there used to be a time where one could put a cop car in their garage and save it as a personal vehicle, but they patched that. Why? Dunno, the whole game concept is based off of criminals doing what they want, except owning cop cars apparently. Each update they pushed out just made them look like tyrant asshole control freaks. Exanima is the complete opposite in that regard, each update furthers the experience, it's a step in the right direction. Rockstar was in it mostly for money with their game, Bare Mettle isn't and you'd do well to remember that over being a whiny ingrate.

Now put me on your ignore list.

SyllaBear

Bare Mettle decided to create Exanima and Sui Generis because they wanted something different from what was currently available; they weren't too fond of current gaming trends. So far they've made zero profit from the four years worth of work put into the game and barely earn enough for basic living expenses. They're creating the game(s) because it's a passion and dream of theirs, not to earn a quick profit.

Comparing Bare Mettle to Blizzard is like comparing apples to oranges. Many people who've been following Bare Mettle from the start realize that the devs have been coming up with the ideas, concepts, mechanics and designs for the game for nearly two decades. It is not something they simply decided to create on a whim. This is why I said that if Bare Mettle implement a feature there's a very good reason and purpose for doing so and it's not a "waste of time".

As far as the comment about armor it was mentioned in a discussion with Madoc, not posted on the forums anywhere, so I can't link you. He said he's going to tweak piercing and crushing damage so they are capable of doing red damage even if someone is heavily armored.
Thats like i want my games, made with pasion! Those are best games.
Is not what i meant to name blizzard, if not that i dont know what awaits me. What i did with blizard is a broken expctation. Same with Gamersfirst, just to give another example, with their mythic engine upgrade. But i think thats enough. Forgot to mention about bns, another game long waited and played less than a week absolutly disappointed.
Let's say that i am bored of EVERYTHING, shooters, rpgs, mmorpgs, mobas etc, but not with this game. So i am having a really big expectation and i am really excited with it, so thats why i sound fanatic and blind with my words. I think ive already seen all but this is completly new gameplay and i am nearly feeling the same when ive played big name games... i really want this game to success and not to be another one. I only thought that this game will have the very hardcore path that no other games have, and thats unique (well, almost). Thats all.
Thanks for the clarification, i didnt really know about all you mentioned there. I understand now that this mechanic, ko, is a concept being thinked for so long so i am expecting something interesting. With what i have right in the game, and thinking what would come in the future, in my head and vision it was something that really doesnt fit. I will wait and see.

Thats interesting about piercering and crushing. They been really useful along games.

Last edited:

SyllaBear

Not sure if troll has successfully trolled, or troll is currently being trolled by others...
There is no such thing. Ive been too fanatic and blind... the only trolls here are you and other comments adding fuel in the wrong place.
They already are ignored for being "toxic" like themselves call out ohters. I am sure they know who is ignored and who doesnt.

Here's my two cents on the matter. I've sunk around 150 hours into the game beating the single player 3 times and having a full master roster in my arena, with my main wearing full exceptional plate and the rest wearing normal or higher quality. At first I found the game quite challenging, like most of us, and now I'm extremely consistent with my footwork/precision leaving myself feeling slightly underwhelmed. However, I understand that this is just the tip of the iceberg, and that the developers don't want to deter new players through unreasonable, unforgiving mechanics. As previous comments mentioned once new levels are added we are going to see a progressively more difficult game which will satiate us hardcore gamers.

In regards to the unconscious mechanic I do think it is a good thing. You're discounting the learning curve associated with examina and you're looking at it from the perspective of an experienced player. I too want more challenging content but I also want to see this game succeed above a niche crowd. Again, you still can die if your healthbar is consumed by red damage, and body looting will be implemented, as stated by many commentors. Don't be so quick to write off this game as being easy mode, because it certainly isn't. Although some of us may share your sentiments there is still a large percentage of players that feel very differently.

Patience young one! You may find that future content exceeds your expectation, causing you to reevaluate your views.
Talking about unforgiving...

;p

And i cant be patient when im so excited!!

Last edited:

Knave

One of the things I hate the most in games is to always play as some sort of magical timelord guy who can go back in time every single time anything bad happens. Sometimes it's much more fun to confront the consequences of your failures and turn them into greater victories. When a game is challenging victory becomes rewarding.

But what about defeat? How can defeat actually be fun? It's not. It's horrible, boring and frustrating. Exanima fixes that by making defeat (not death) part of the journey. The developers said that KO is incomplete, that there WILL be consequences and that, rather than you being a heroic hero who is never defeated thanks to the blessings of reload last save, you will be a real adventurer who won't necessarily emerge victorious from all fights, but that will emerge somehow with some luck and some more skill.

Too long; didn't read: KO is exactly what I was looking for in a game, it's fun, innovative and I hope it's here to stay.
I can't wait to see what happens next. So far it's wonderful.

One of the things I hate the most in games is to always play as some sort of magical timelord guy who can go back in time every single time anything bad happens. Sometimes it's much more fun to confront the consequences of your failures and turn them into greater victories. When a game is challenging victory becomes rewarding.

But what about defeat? How can defeat actually be fun? It's not. It's horrible, boring and frustrating. Exanima fixes that by making defeat (not death) part of the journey. The developers said that KO is incomplete, that there WILL be consequences and that, rather than you being a heroic hero who is never defeated thanks to the blessings of reload last save, you will be a real adventurer who won't necessarily emerge victorious from all fights, but that will emerge somehow with some luck and some more skill.

Too long; didn't read: KO is exactly what I was looking for in a game, it's fun, innovative and I hope it's here to stay.
I can't wait to see what happens next. So far it's wonderful.
WHY DID YOU NECRO THIS THREAD
I don't care that it's only a month old, we don't need this around.

Achul

Ah. I am a pretty early supporter. Because of my limited internet connection I've not been updating the game as much but thought of going to a wifi hotspot soon to do just that.

This post has disappointed me a bit though. I always liked the dynamic hard-core mode that the two healthbars represented. It wasn't just a stamina bar. It was having to think about both longterm and short-term health management. I imagined future mods or addition to the yellow healthbar such as eating and drinking being necessary to keep it from going down.

I don't believe it should be a simple stamina bar. That can easily be added in of itself. Often times the damage that results in yellow hits is of the blunt type. You shouldn't be able to take any amount of hits behind a heavy armour and just "Keep getting up".

I'd like this addition to please be reversed or an option inclded not to partake in it.
THanks.

Achul

It's kind of funny, when there was permanent death some people thought the game was too hardcore and wanted easier combat. Now it's the opposite, not hardcore enough!

I think the unconsciousness mechanic is a good idea. Combat is no easier, but the game doesn't totally end unless you cop full red damage. If interesting things happen when you're knocked out, and you lose some gear as a punishment, I think that adds to the game.

Damnit, what is this. So you're not even actually knocked out (and possibly hit soem more)? You're just magically teleported out of combat , losing a little bit of gear?

That's ridicilous! At least for me. I remember the bloody excitement I felt playing this game precisly because every one of those ridicilously clumsy, early swings could result in the loss of all of my progress.

The inclusion of long-term checkpoints is a much better soltion in terms of pacing out the game in "chapters" where perma death retrns you to one of those earlier points.

But this system where you just get "knocked out" is terrible. Just awful. I bet you that in the future in Sui Genesis there will be shops and what not and you'll never actually get the red bar down before you get the yellow one down. At worst you'll be there, wasting time hitting rabbits or some other crap foe, skinning them or "Looting" them and selling their pelts to buy potions/etc to heal your red damage up before going back in.

Many of us bught this game because of the perma death and Im sure it wouldn't be hard to add an option to keep the game the way it was.

edit: It's quite sad how some of you have ganged up on the OP like bullies decrying his ill manners, forgetting that the first post that replied to him was basically one of "gtfo if you don't like it".

You seem to be telling him that this is "Beta" and anything could change.
Well this is beta, and the point of it (and for us who have been in with it since Alpha) is to discuss all changes and come up with the best way forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.