Snow

Cooper Holt

Insider
I was wondering if there would be interactive snow in the game. I would certainly like for there to be, but it's just a mostly aesthetic change. If it gets implemented, it would definitely have to be later on in the development process.
For example:
-The more it snows, the more snow on the ground
-Ice?
-The deeper the snow, the slower you walk
-Different consistencies of snow:
1. Packy snow
Pretty thick (at least ankle-deep), makes a distinct "creaking" noise on contact, creates ridges around moving objects (feet, hands, weapons, bodies)
2. Thin snow
The character makes footsteps and small ridges with movement (in snow)
3. Hard snow
Depending on the consistency, the player either walks on top of the snow or breaks through

frakken

Insider
The devs said that they would not do it beacause then they wants it to be physical and that would take to much out of our computers memory.
But maybe they have changed their minds :p

Edit: I did not find anything on this so I am probably wrong

Fawz

Insider
Snow as a landscape choice would be awesome since it would make for good variety in location. I think it would also fit in the world they already made since snow is just a seasonal thing. It could also add to some interesting gameplay aspects like footprints in the snow.

But as was mentioned snow would be very physics heavy and would prob be too demanding for most computers. Still you never know after launch with some optimization they might be able to pull it off :D

I feel like simulating snow accurately would be too much of a drain on computing power for the relatively small benefit. However, I like the idea of snow and think it could be done well in a more efficient manner.

Visually, I think Skyrim did a good job on snowy landscapes. Although no mechanics used it, the effect of having snowy gusts of wind blow off snow banks was really effective. Some mods later added better visual effects (e.g. accumulation, footprints) and some added mechanics (e.g. hypothermia and reduced movement speed). I think small inexpensive effects like snowy gusts and the distinctive "creaking" sound Cooper Holt mentioned would be really effective and immersive.

If these effects could be managed easily, I definitely think they would add a lot to the atmosphere. :)

Cooper Holt

Insider
I think small inexpensive effects like snowy gusts and the distinctive "creaking" sound Cooper Holt mentioned would be really effective and immersive.

If these effects could be managed easily, I definitely think they would add a lot to the atmosphere. :)
I think that even if the snow just made quiet noises when you stepped in it, made you a bit slower depending on how deep it was, and left temporary footprints (darkened spots in the shape of a boot-mark), then all of that combined would suffice. It would be pretty great, I think. :p

Fawz

Insider
The default skyrim snow as visually nice but as was stated added very little if nothing to gameplay. I did get to try a couple of mods that had visual enhancers like you mentioned (Footprints, snow storms, ect..) and gameplay overhauls (muffled sound, tracking, slowing movement, hypothermia in the cold). Having mods that did those things did a lot for the game and overall it made the experience better.

Skyrim's world did have snowy landscapes at it's core though, and for SG I see it more as being present if a seasonal cycle was added (which I doubt), at the top of mountains or as a result of thaumaturgy. If it's that isolated I understand that the extra work that comes with properly coding snow would not be a priority compared to other features. It would still be nice to see a bit of snowy backgrounds to add variety to the landscape even if it doesn't have gameplay alterations (light snow).

Snow isn't as important to me, but for some reason rain really gets to me. I really start to notice when it never rains in a game, not sure why but it bugs me.

I guess it seems super unrealistic to me. I mean you can live in a place where it never snows, or maybe always snows but you can't live in a place where it never rains... well unless you are in space or underground.

Fawz

Insider
Snow isn't as important to me, but for some reason rain really gets to me. I really start to notice when it never rains in a game, not sure why but it bugs me.

I guess it seems super unrealistic to me. I mean you can live in a place where it never snows, or maybe always snows but you can't live in a place where it never rains... well unless you are in space or underground.
Well then rejoice for Rain, Thunder/Lightning, Wet effects, water reaction to rain and other awesome features were confirmed for the game/engine in the kickstarter video.

I have to say that for me as well a proper rainy setting can really change the mood. From the engine demo it's obvious they have the tech done right to execute rainy scenes perfectly.

Well then rejoice for Rain, Thunder/Lightning, Wet effects, water reaction to rain and other awesome features were confirmed for the game/engine in the kickstarter video.

I have to say that for me as well a proper rainy setting can really change the mood. From the engine demo it's obvious they have the tech done right to execute rainy scenes perfectly.
Good to hear. I should do some catching up with what's in and out.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.