so the... Troll

NachoDawg

I think the proctor drops her Tube of Proctoring because it's an optional quest item of sorts, or it's supposed to pose one of the famed Bare Mettle "things should make sense" puzzles (tm)

I really hope there's different ways to handle the Tube. When I first got it I tried to put it on an anvil and smash it open with different hammer weapons. Not to my surprise it didn't work. But I feel like it should have!

My main theory which i can't test yet, includes thaumes. Using necromancy to awaken a fallen creature to fight for you, as far as I understood it, is basically to convince the ghost of the dead creature to use its inert thaumatic powers to influence the corpse to do things for you.

The proctor is probably more in-tune with her inert powers than average Joe, so maybe she can do more things in an undead state than the town drunk. We already knows she has superior fighting skills than the civilian undead. Maybe I can awaken her and tell her to open the gizmo? Or have her tell me the password? Probably wont happen til far down the line when we got both NPC dialogue & Necromancy

konggary

Typically in nature, females are larger than males. Besides, we're talking about the literal spawn of a demon here. It most likely doesn't have a gender.

Bullethead

What would you get from him? There aren't too many places you could hide something on him. I wonder if SG will have a Witcher element where you can take the head of a beast to prove you have slain it, or to collect a bounty. (the head would be pretty heavy without a horse though...)
If Sir isn't some evil spirit from another plane of existence, then he's an earthly biological animal with a digestive system that functions on similar lines to other animals. Therefore, there should be piles of Sir's poop in the corners of the room, containing whatever small, indigestible bits of his previous victims made it through his guts more or less intact. Coins, rings, etc. Kinda like this:

As for other stuff, I can see weapons dropped by previous victims, but probably no useful armor other than maybe a helmet that fell off. Sir has the hardware to peel and eat adventurers so the armor of arms, legs, and torso would be broken and torn like how we do crabs and lobsters :D.

Greenbrog

Insider
Assuming we know much of anything of the physiology of Sir is presumptuous. Expecting loot for kill him is also presumptuous, he exists to exist, not for you to get loot from. We also don't know how long its been there. Putting loot on it would motivate you even more to kill it, when that may not be the best course. The game isn't finished, and other than surviving we don't have many motivations in the game. Killing sir right now is the thing to do, later on though, the cost to reward just won't be there.

TURBOBRUH

Assuming we know much of anything of the physiology of Sir is presumptuous.

We know that it has joints, limbs, head, claws.
We know it walks on two legs.
We know that it takes more damage from hits to the head.
We know it can knock you down/sweep you off your feet easily.
We know it bleeds when hit.
We know its blood is red.
We see how bulky its body is.
Its able to attack you directly and with certain presicion.

Its not much, but its something.

Now based on those we can assume that:
- its heavy, cannot be just a moving balloon
- it has muscles, blood vessels, vital organs
- it can hear/see/ sense your presence
- its alive, rather than being animated by some force
- based on how a few strong cuts in the head kill it, its body surface (at least around head area) is not very hard

Now based on that we can (again) assume, that taking a blood sample should be rather easy (I'm not good at chemistry, but I don't think it would be able to corrode glass bottle). Maybe even cutting out some tissue.
Having info in one of the letters that its probably some sort of demon, taking a bit of its blood makes sense.
It could be able to unlock some seal, open some hidden door or be a crafting/alchemy component.

We have not actually seen it eating anything, but having the accounts of bite victims, we could once again assume that its capable of eating people, or at least biting body parts off. (then again looking how many 'edible' humanoids we have around, finding something inside its body is less likely (unless it got stuck).

We also don't know how long its been there.
Fair point.

Putting loot on it would motivate you even more to kill it, when that may not be the best course
1- how are we supposed to know it has loot on it before we kill it?
2- even if we somehow did know, it's still up to player, what he decides to about the circumstances. His judgement may abviously be wrong, but is that not "in the spirit of the game" ?

The game isn't finished, and other than surviving we don't have many motivations in the game.

Getting better equipment is a vital part of said surviving. (the thraumaturge from the letters and the mind-proof helmet for example)

Also,
he exists to exist, not for you to get loot from

you seem to have a pretty good idea, which elements of ingame world exist to exist, and which ones exist for us to get loot from them. Care to share a few tips?

Last edited:

Bullethead

If we assume that Sir eats meat and isn't too particular about where it comes from, then perhaps it might be possible to use dead zombies against him. Drag him a dead zombie and see if he'll eat it instead of you. If so, drag him a few more until he comes to trust you. Then either just walk by him or backstab him while he's chowing down :).

Of course, Sir might be a soul-eating demon to whom the meat is just lagniappe.......

Greenbrog

Insider
As a common trend nothing of loot off of mobs is (best in slot) required, with few exceptions ( proctor sword, armory 2h axe, key). Even the skellies weapons are available out of boxes (2 random ), and their very good armor isn't as good as the stuff from boxes. It's safe to say loot off of mobs is optional, obviously not a indefinite but it is a trend. Loot is not as a trend from mobs, why would SIR be differant . I could see some kind of component or trophy have harvested off him, but this would take considerable time to dig off.

Is been a trend to assume basically everything exists to exist , it's a fundamental concept of the game.

The undeads spray red blood too. Are they alive? You don't know is alive and not powered by a force .
We haven't seen it eat, or deficate . Of course the charecter doesn't either but this has been explained away for game flow, not that it doesn't happen, maybe it's the same for the Sir.

Basically, we have almost no information other than it will try to kill you. And you feel you deserve loot because other games have loot for loots sake in bodies. It's not a boss, it is just there. Feeling you deserve a prize is meta-game thinking and this game does very little of that, at least in the context of normal game trends.

That being said I'd love to use the claws or teeth for something.

You are getting introduced to Sir out of context and with nowhere to try and get to to bother avoiding him. People are killing him because there isn't anything else to do right not and the repercussions are nill. Most people will probably just skip or trap him on release, if the devs put loot on him it will probably be for a real reason, not because you deserve it.

TURBOBRUH

I could see some kind of component or trophy have harvested off him, but this would take considerable time to dig off.
Depending on what would you like to cut out from him.

The undeads spray red blood too. Are they alive? You don't know is alive and not powered by a force .
Thats exacly why I split it into know/assume sections.

It pretty much looks like a boss compared to anything else you met on levels 1-3.
As for context, you find pieces of lore about guardian and his minions (other notes dont say much, aside from the fact that something is there and has bad intentions) so thats some context right there.

if the devs put loot on him it will probably be for a real reason, not because you deserve it.
like what?

Greenbrog

Insider
Don't know how else to say it, he's not a boss. He's not even a big one (Madoc said this, could have been trolling). Either way Boss has implications that he's supposed to beaten, or that he's there for some Meta-game reason, not that he is there because he is there.

Unfortunately, "reasons" for things existence in this world is just that, the game is being written not as a game but as a world that you are a participant in. You learn history and knowledge as a participant. Sir exists in the world because he is there, not because he is "the next challenge."

A reason to put loot on him. Some one down there asks you to kill him and you need proof (very cliche quest but it "could" happen. You need a part of him as part of a ritual, no idea how magic works but it could be this way for something, no clue, just an example. A weapon could get stuck in him during fighting, though whom knows why it would stay there. Something could get stuck or caught on it's claws (it doesn't bite ATM, and I don't think it will, doesn't have an exceptionally large mouth anyway). Assuming it does eat, much of value probably wouldn't be inside it AND if there was this would be one of the time consuming things to try and recover, also are you really going to open it up and squeeze its bowels empty trying to find that ring, or coin or whatever.

Basically, not many reasons I can think of to put loot on it, nothing really compelling IMO. Therefore, why would it have loot. Killing it isn't the point, surviving is; killing it would be a last option, something you're forced to do, as the risk is very high even when very very well armored.

So again why WOULD it have loot? A reward for killing it? That's not in line with how the rest of the game is setup.

TURBOBRUH

Assuming it does eat, much of value probably wouldn't be inside it AND if there was this would be one of the time consuming things to try and recover, also are you really going to open it up and squeeze its bowels empty trying to find that ring, or coin or whatever.
If that was a good ring...

Well I see your point more clearly now, but I still think it would feel better if something happened when you kill it.
If not an ingredient to remove, then maybe some hint, piece of lore, some more insight. Something that reveals a little more of its nature/background. A metal shackle with a piece of destoyed chain, suggesting that previous explorer managed to catch/trap one of these. A collar with some marks on it or attached key. It could be useless, like proctor's seal.
Or maybe the presence below making a brief contact with you. Not like every intruder who got down there was able to kill such a beast in single combat. The way it is now, it feels somewhat lacking. To me at least.

Greenbrog

Insider
I think you're being more impressed by the fact the game isn't finished and you can't put it into context. We all feel this way, WTB more game.

TURBOBRUH

There might be something to it. Managed to collect all the lore pieces (i think) and whack down everything that was lively enough to stumble around the dungeon. Now I have what I've found - more questions than answers.

Dorag

Claps slowly
I enjoyed reading that discussion, and yes we all want more game, and out of spite for how cruel the world is that content must be developed and the act of developing takes time, we loop into our own thoughts sometimes in an attempt to induce the same dopamine rushes we get while playing which leads to no success and to some, it results in frustration.

I think now is the time to go do something else for a while, next arena update will add plenty of replayability if It'll be as orgasmic as I expect it to be :).

Holy.Death

Insider
Expecting a reward for killing it would only encourage people to kill it, while avoiding it is the better part of valor. Not everything needs to have something. The only reason skeletons and zombies have anything is because they need items to be potential threat (especially later on).

2015-11-20_00002.jpg
As I always say, just lock it an a room, and it'll never get you.
I only had to sacrifice my torch.

Update: I tried to open the door later to kill it, got smashed into a wall and died very, very quickly... So, keep things locked away if you have to.

Last edited:

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.