Thoughts and Ideas General

Stekkmen

Using hammer against shields is totally unbalanced. Using hammer is like broken now. Rip maul.

Against shields is really annoying and boring. Bash shield, bash shield, bash shield, bash shield, bash shield, bash shield, bash shield, bash shield, bash shield, bash shield, bash shield, bash shield, bash shield, bash shield, bash shield, bash shield, bash shield, bash shield, bash shield, bash shield, bash shield, bash shield, bash shield, bash shield, bash shield, bash shield, bash shield, bash shield, bash shield, bash shield, bash shield, bash shield, bash shield, bash shield, bash shield, bash shield, bash shield, bash shield, bash shield, bash shield, bash shield, bash shield, bash shield, bash shield, bash shield, bash shield, bash shield, bash shield, bash shield, bash shield, bash shield, bash shield, bash shield, bash shield, bash shield, bash shield, bash shield, bash shield, bash shield, bash shield, bash shield, bash shield, bash shield, bash shield, bash shield, bash shield, bash shield, bash shield, bash shield, bash shield, bash shield, bash shield, bash shield, bash shield, bash shield, bash shield, bash shield, bash shield, bash shield, bash shield, bash shield,1 hit dead.

And its like made on purpose, all enemies use shield now, lol. Ive been wrong about the update.
maybe instead of hitting their shield you hit their head?
just a pro tip

Syllabear3

maybe instead of hitting their shield you hit their head?
just a pro tip
They block and stab me, thats not a good move. Not anymore.

I gave my hirelings mauls and they lose evrytiem bro.

ps: and please, stop giving me advises to face novice guys, because I don't.

The new gameplay is good, but slow weapons are having serious issues. And slow weapons against shields are having more issues.

PS2: LOL IF I CONECT HITS TO THEIR FEET MY CHARACTER FALL EVERY TIME XD wtf dude.

Last edited:

bobchaos

17 messages...

So this happens when you are not agree with something, a random asshole with 1-10 messages jump to bait too. I hope you are at least using an alt account to troll.
You seem to equate number of posts/like with social status and intellectual superiority, but I assure you, your ability to say nonsense and vehemently defend it in as many posts as possible doesn't make you right in any way :/

I like the new toys, they just required a bit of tactical adjustments. I'd still like to see weaker shield break at some point, hardly makes sense that I can block infinite axe swings with a barrel top o_O

Syllabear3

You seem to equate number of posts/like with social status and intellectual superiority, but I assure you, your ability to say nonsense and vehemently defend it in as many posts as possible doesn't make you right in any way :/

I like the new toys, they just required a bit of tactical adjustments. I'd still like to see weaker shield break at some point, hardly makes sense that I can block infinite axe swings with a barrel top o_O
You cant even defeat novice without armour and without being touched. I wouldnt like to keep exchanging words with such low tier skill player as yourself, please, dont quote me again.

Thanks you very much.

ps: you said that you will block me. Please, proceed and keep your word (if you ever acomplish something you promise).

bobchaos

You cant even defeat novice without armour and without being touched. I wouldnt like to keep exchanging words with such low tier skill player as yourself, please, dont quote me again.

Thanks you very much.

ps: you said that you will block me. Please, proceed and keep your word (if you ever acomplish something you promise).
I'ma bow out before this gets uncivilized, but I'm curious to see how you'd be able to magically divine what my combat abilities might look like. If you have ESP powers, you should share that with the world.

Also, I have no intention of blocking you, if you bothered to read you'd see I was saying quite the opposite. I'd never block you, you're way too entertaining!

Anyhow, I'll wish you good luck, sounds like you're having a hard time landing head hits I'll let you go practice while I enjoy the nice new features we just got.

MrApophos

C-C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER

Another question for y'all;

Does anybody know, officially or otherwise, whether weapons cutting into things, or stabbing into things has been implimented, even partially? A few times while playing with my trusty pitchfork, I've done a good thrust, a killing blow, and it certainly appears that the fork has impaled the foe - including when my character pulls the fork back after the thrust, the foe I just bested has been dragged forward and to the floor. Certainly looks like the fork went in, got stuck, pulled the person forward and then became free again as they fell.

If this isn't implimented... then it should be eventually, just makes it that little bit more visceral.

C-C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER

Does anybody know, officially or otherwise, whether weapons cutting into things, or stabbing into things has been implimented, even partially? A few times while playing with my trusty pitchfork, I've done a good thrust, a killing blow, and it certainly appears that the fork has impaled the foe - including when my character pulls the fork back after the thrust, the foe I just bested has been dragged forward and to the floor. Certainly looks like the fork went in, got stuck, pulled the person forward and then became free again as they fell.

If this isn't implimented... then it should be eventually, just makes it that little bit more visceral.
Not implemented yet, when I stab it looks hilarious as they fly away. It does seem to glitch grab sometimes on weapons like the spiked club and hooked polearms,

Syllabear3

I'ma bow out before this gets uncivilized, but I'm curious to see how you'd be able to magically divine what my combat abilities might look like. If you have ESP powers, you should share that with the world.

Also, I have no intention of blocking you, if you bothered to read you'd see I was saying quite the opposite. I'd never block you, you're way too entertaining!

Anyhow, I'll wish you good luck, sounds like you're having a hard time landing head hits I'll let you go practice while I enjoy the nice new features we just got.
Can you or not? Upload a vid and show how awesome you are landing every overhead with the new features (lol, summer kids).

Pure words and no action. Almost everyone in this forum have shown some of their gameplay to back their words.

Stekkmen

They block and stab me, thats not a good move. Not anymore.

I gave my hirelings mauls and they lose evrytiem bro.

ps: and please, stop giving me advises to face novice guys, because I don't.

The new gameplay is good, but slow weapons are having serious issues. And slow weapons against shields are having more issues.

PS2: LOL IF I CONECT HITS TO THEIR FEET MY CHARACTER FALL EVERY TIME XD wtf dude.
I literally just went into the Expert Arena with a Maul. It's not harder than before, in fact it's probably even easier because they can block slower than before. It's not easy, no, but it's not supposed to be a walk in the park. I got most of my hits from left to right swings, just as normal.

I particularly remember downing the woman with the red and block clothes with the heater shield in about four hits. Right off the bat I got a body shot, she deflected my second attack, another backswing, she gets knocked to the floor and then I do the crouch-overhead attack when she's prone.

There's no set strategy, but it's not nearly as impossible as you seem to be making it out to be. Perhaps you just got unlucky?

CharliePow

C-C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER

I've been stabbing my merchant in the face between every round and I've noticed the exact same thing. Looks like the blade gets lodged in their head for a few frames and then when the blade is withdrawn she's dragged forwards. Brutal.

gumshoe

Can you or not? Upload a vid and show how awesome you are landing every overhead with the new features (lol, summer kids).

Pure words and no action. Almost everyone in this forum have shown some of their gameplay to back their words.
Can you also then please instead of providing words upload a video showing your problem while also demonstrating how your different tactics (you imply you have advanced skill level?) lead to the same result?

Syllabear3

I literally just went into the Expert Arena with a Maul. It's not harder than before, in fact it's probably even easier because they can block slower than before. It's not easy, no, but it's not supposed to be a walk in the park. I got most of my hits from left to right swings, just as normal.

I particularly remember downing the woman with the red and block clothes with the heater shield in about four hits. Right off the bat I got a body shot, she deflected my second attack, another backswing, she gets knocked to the floor and then I do the crouch-overhead attack when she's prone.

There's no set strategy, but it's not nearly as impossible as you seem to be making it out to be. Perhaps you just got unlucky?
They play easy the first match, they will get harder the more you play. I already explained this... you just faced a zombie, they do nothing.

And stop giving bad ideas to stroke ur epeen. "Oh i have literally no problems with the new system".
It was really okay before, now battles are long and really boring.
My hireling won 0 against shield with a maul equiped.

"It's not easy"
Lol you are saying that is super easy and easier than before the whole time. Pick one and provide the evidence.
God these russians with alt accounts...

What is easier now is 2h swords against poles for example. But also awesome sword vs sword, im having a blast now.

ps: and if it is that easy you should all upload a vid showing it, because is not suposed to be so easy or easier than before as you say, if not more of a challenge. Then devs failed if you find it so friggin easy.

Forgot to mention my tactic: aim to their feet then to their head with a remise attack. Left to right works, but not allways, they can block and hit you. And i dont like shitty shields hitting me. So remise and bashing their shield until run out of life are the best options for me, and the safest. They still stand when you bash their shield constantly. The more range and the more quicker the weapon the better.
With maul my character fell to the ground several times after hiting their feet, totally absurd.

Last edited:
I am new to this game and I love it so far!

It's very hard, and I still have to "gitgud" at combat/movement, but I love the fact that I have to consider carefully what my toon does, and not just run blindly into the fray.

I love games that focus on story and also versatility when interacting with environments.
If some of these ideas have been mentioned, apologies, I have yet to complete this massive thread.

I would like to preface this list by explaining my mindset is that I don't want anything to be "easy mode". Anything that would hint at any sort of a bonus, would be a very small boost in a chance to perform any given action. I LOVE THAT THIS GAME TAKES SKILL TO PLAY! I would hate to see it "dumbed down" and veer away from the dev's vision.

Some of the things I would love to see as features in Sui Generis/Exanima:
*** Open Ended Conversations with NPCs --- One thing I loved about Ultima VI was that I had to actually type out my responses to an NPC, which parsed what I typed for keywords.

Typing my character's dialogue gave the illusion that I could say anything to any NPC and avoided the immersion-break of clicking a predetermined statement or question that an evil/good/sarcastic/etc character would say, complete with "thee's" and "thou's" hehe.

To implement this, maybe create a global database that contains "information everyone knows", a database that "a resident or former resident of this village knows", a database of "information that a warrior would know" etc. Each NPC would use an appropriate tag for the databases that apply and have a separate database of "things that only that particular NPC knows", which would update as he/she/it learned more information from the player character's responses and actions.

Movement/World Interaction/NPCs
-------------
- Climbing --- I have yet to see a game that featured any type of built in climbing mechanism other than earlier versions of Gothic (with the exception of features like climbing ladders/ropes). Rogue types should be able to scale walls a little easier than others. maybe each climbable area could have a "porous" rating that compares to an ability like Dexterity or something, or simply have grabbable handholds/footholds on any given surface.

- Jumping --- Perhaps based on encumbrance, strength, height etc.

- Stealth options for gameplay --- The Thief series comes to mind, maybe a Sui Gen-ized (adjective meaning better) implementation of being stealthy, with skills/items that modify the odds of things like hiding and sneaking.

- Breakable Items --- Things like barrels, tables, etc. For example, I pounded on a crate with a sledgehammer for 10 minutes trying to break it, to no avail. I also couldn't find any way to move it like the smaller items/debris.

- Swimming --- Including the ability to dive. Could make for some cool secret locations.

- Boating --- Controllable boats from single person rowboats to multi-crewmember ships.

- Flying/Levitate --- Short duration, otherwise self explanatory.

***Dragons/Giants/Bosses/Monsters that aren't bipedal --- I always loved encountering a tough to beat boss mob and other fantastic critters. I say encounter, because they don't always have to be hostile, and could be used to help advance a story ("information that Dragons know" *grin*).

Combat
Note: I love the controls as they are and trust BME's implementation of "the vision".
---------
- Kick (low/no damage, not instant refresh, just pushes your opponent). Prety sure I saw the Ogre kick a player in one of the videos <smile>.

- Sneak Attack modifiers if your character(s) are truly undetected by a target, perhaps can only be used at the start of a fight/skirmish.

Thaumaturgy/Magic
I love that magic is extremely rare and powerful in SG and that most of the world doesn't understand it, to the point of fearing the arcane. My own PnP games take place in a "low magic" kind of universe. Magic items are unique, "named" (a Sword named "Herr Morder" named after a tyrant who slaughtered any of the land barons that would not ally with him), have a history, and are EXTREMELY rare. Witch Hunters are brutal, paranoid, and have zero tolerance for mage types ;)
----------
- Bards! --- Some implementation of bards and associated bardic "magic".
- Buffs --- Buff type spells, abilities, food/potions, or rituals that grant benefits, banes, or abilities
- A targetable light spell (lol)
- Magic Items/Artifacts which are hard to obtain, unique, have a back story, have/had a reason to exist.
- Rings/Necklaces/Earrings/Masks/Brooch/Cloaks --- Mundane, magic, etc.
- Activatable abilities --- As far as I can tell, skills are currently passive in nature.

That's all off the top of my head. Again, love the game so far and can't wait to see the finished product!

Jenn BRD

Last edited:

Syllabear3

@Jehn
I agree with most of your post, but i think this game will be more facused on battle, but would be great to have such features as complex dialogue with npcs (that will take excesive work...).

I totally disagree with buffs and activable skill, since this is not another rpg. You already have activable skills that you use when you play.

Strange, I thought for sure that I saw something about friendly NPC dialogue being part of the planned feature set. It would be nice if it were fairly robust =D I do like that books and other clues in Exanima seem to drive the story and give the underworld more depth (I can't wait to discover what happened to that necromancer!)

In my opinion, true RPGs are "story" before "stats/abilities" but contain both, even if the "stats" portion is simple (or hidden). From what I have read so far, the Dev team seems to also encourage the player to choose wisely before engaging in combat, avoiding it if its not necessary. Maddoc himself stated somewhere that he was a big fan of the Thief series and wouldn't mind seeing some of that style of gameplay in SG as well.

Which skills/abilities are currently activatable? (I also couldn't figure out how to thrust, mind you)

Jenn BRD

Syllabear3

In sittings and controls you can read what buttons do (this and in any other game). To thrust you use ctrl, over head is double click.

To see how you can use your skills press k and read what skills do.
For example the first one of the "combat skill" is "remise". You activate it just by keeping your button pressed and will do a double slash, from right to left and left to right. Can be the other way too.

I am waiting for more character customization, i do not have my favourite sliders ;D

bobchaos

I am new to this game and I love it so far!

*Snip!*
Jenn BRD
Welcome to the party! I'm guessing you haven't completed a playthrough yet (of the available parts anyhow). Some of the stuff you want is already in, but well hidden! Other should come shortly: you mention active abilities, I suspect Thaumaturgy will feature some of those when it's ready.

According to Madoc, there should be some level of destructibility to the environment, altho it's unclear what. I suspect it will include boxes and doors. I hope anyhow, I also spent some time trying to reorganize certain rooms into personal combat arenas... Turns out a lot of items can be moved if you enter combat and get your arms stuck in them, but that's not really what I had in mind XD

Open ended conversations are likely part of the dev's "dream NPCs", but if you go read about those you'll find BM is dreaming really, really big! I can only hope they reach all them goals, but I'd be satisfied with even a simple implementation of all their awesome ideas.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.