Thoughts on New Patch Combat

Array

I haven't touched examina in a couple of months but loaded up the arena today to try changes. Combat is quite different - much more predictable in blocking a character movement. It also seems a lot easier. After one or two warm up goes I went right through novice arena and into the first two expert having never finished novice before all using the axe.

Overall I'm very impressed - a lot less frustration but at the same time I felt I had to be less cunning and just by keeping the block facing right and using the brute force of the axe I could wear them away though I did find ducking and swinging to be more rewarding and reliable.

havent tried the main game yet. Also a noob question - donning armour slows down your movements due to the weight?

I can't speak to the rest of your post, but to the noob question: Donning armour will in the future slow your movements, if I'm not very much mistaken, but doesn't yet.

My first impression of the combat was- oh god, this is easy. It scared me a little. And honestly, it is a lot easier than before. I sliced my way through the arena with only a few attempts.

So at first, I was a little disgruntled. I liked the challenge this game had brought before. Where was it now?

But then.

I thought a little bit about the reasoning behind it. It occurred to me, that in the main game, combat now starts out a lot harder. Because you don't have those initial skills, you can't do flurries of sword swipes. Every swipe counts. And for that reason, swings seem faster, because each one means more. Of course, in arena, you do have those skills from the start. So of course it's easier.

It does look nicer. The new animations are tighter and seem to have more force behind them. Although they do seem to make it significantly easier to strike blows across the neck and head.

So I guess I can see why, if that's the case. But for me the main game hasn't ever been a big attraction for me, it's too linear and not very replayability friendly. So I'm looking forward to seeing the arena and other multiplayer features expanded upon because that's what's really going to keep me around. :)

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.