We were all learners once... aka. Post Your n00b Mistakes

Homiccus

With the steep learning curve and rather sparse tutorial, we all had to revert to trial & error in learning the ropes and surely we all had our 'sigh' moments. Some mistakes were surely frustrating, some were funny.
I hereby propose to post those silly mistakes you've made when first learning the game, if you can remember them.
Be advised: spoilers are likely to appear.

Allow me to start the thread off with... fighting in the dark. I have decided to tackle the mad, saw wielding carpenter, one of the first truly aggresive denizens a new player would encounter. I've dropped my torch on the floor in the corridor, gripped my barrel lid tightly and brandished the nailed-club. I pushed the door open. The creature threw itself against it, slamming the door shut again. And again. Frustrated, I've opened the door and barged in, using my body weight to wedge the door open and... I've stumbled inside. To my astonishment and growing horror, the zombie slammed the door shut, plunging the room in complete darkness and locking me in...
Fighting in complete darkness is not easy and, for the lack of alternatives, I've resolved to just keep attacking. Luck would have it that one of the blows connected squarely and the opponent was defeated. I have only realised that after some time, as the only audible sounds were of my own...
Now, to get out somehow... Looking around cautiously, I have noticed a very faint light reflection which I suspected could only come through the gap at the bottom of the door. Groping in the dark, I've pulled the handle and... lo! the door slowly opened, letting more light in.
Phew! I got away with just minor scratches this time. Never again.

getting cornered and forgetting to hit space to get the visual obstruction away; it got to the point where I hold space most of the time but I grew out of the habit once I realized that facing the opponent's back with the camera view somehow helps me get over their shield/parry

konggary

In one of the earlier levels, the area with the hundred chairs in the room, I had forgotten to close the door. Whilst I was dueling the resident guy in there, one... then two... then three more undead barged into the room. Naturally, I began to run into the small closet to the side of the room, but my foot caught on one of the chairs on the floor, resulting in a high-speed face plant...

Stubbed toe + bloody nose + 4 angry undead = 1 dead adventurer

gumshoe

Close the doors. It helps
And let the cowards escape, Never!! Oh you mean before starting. But then I lose the thrill of the hunt! Seems I'm destined to learn the hard way :)

Oh the other good learning: don't use your main for anything but fisticuffs in the Arena. Ever.

ThommiX

I'm already planning to record and post my first play through to my YouTube channel in the same style as my Arena videos: light commentary and banter about the thoughts that occur to me and the things I learn as I play. I've also been considering making some sort of "Longsword Basics Combat Tutorials" video or series. Let me know what you guys think! I'm still learning, so any feedback would be greatly appreciated and highly regarded. :)
Thats a 2h sword, not a longsword. Longsword is 1 hander :)
No offense but really,stop talking. Rather muted your videos than listened.

Thats a 2h sword, not a longsword. Longsword is 1 hander :)
No offense but really,stop talking. Rather muted your videos than listened.
Ah, apologies for the confusion. It's a personal habit/quirk to call a two-hander a "longsword." I'll try to abide by the game's terminology in the future. Also, just to clarify, is it the bad audio/sound quality that's bothering you, or the commentary in general? I'm very new to this, still learning. Thanks for taking the time! :)

ThommiX

Ah, apologies for the confusion. It's a personal habit/quirk to call a two-hander a "longsword." I'll try to abide by the game's terminology in the future. Also, just to clarify, is it the bad audio/sound quality that's bothering you, or the commentary in general? I'm very new to this, still learning. Thanks for taking the time! :)
Its the common terminology of medieval weapons,not just this game's terminology.
You talked mostly just nonsense that wasn't interesting at all, the little i listened before muting sound. Also cut out useless stuff from your videos,its not very interesting to look at you choosing a match and a character to use,for one example. People will want to see the fight,not your preparation to it. Even better if the fight has great bloody hits.

Its the common terminology of medieval weapons,not just this game's terminology.
You talked mostly just nonsense that wasn't interesting at all, the little i listened before muting sound. Also cut out useless stuff from your videos,its not very interesting to look at you choosing a match and a character to use,for one example. People will want to see the fight,not your preparation to it. Even better if the fight has great bloody hits.
First of all..
"The longsword is characterised not so much by a longer blade, but by a longer grip, which indicates a weapon designed for two-handed use. Swords with exceptionally long hilts are found throughout the High Middle Ages, but these remain rare, and are not representative of an identifiable trend before the late 13th or early 14th century."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longsword

And..
"Description of Medieval Long Sword
The weapons used the Medieval times include the Long Sword. The description of the Medieval Long Sword which provides basic facts and information about the weapon is as follows:

• The Medieval Long Sword had a two-edged blade and a handle which was long enough for two hands
  • The length of the Long Sword ranged from 40 - 48 inches
  • The Medieval Long Sword handle that measured 10 - 15 inches in additional length
  • The extended handle of the Long Sword allowed the blade to be held in two hands
  • The Medieval Long Sword weighed between 5 - 8 pounds"
http://www.medieval-life-and-times.info/medieval-swords-and-armor/long-sword.htm

And lastly..
"Sometimes the term 'longsword' is used incorrectly for a one-handed sword but with a fairly long blade.. Which.. That's completely wrong."
Skip to around 2:38 if you can't stand to listen to him that long. Hehe

Not trying to be a prick or say "I'm right," as he clearly goes on to clarify that I was wrong and you were right too, a "Two-Handed Sword" is indeed a different type of weapon and is not a "Longsword," I just want to illustrate that I think the term is demonstratively ambiguous throughout different mediums, and needless to say if I'm the one confused by it, I am not the only one. ;)

All of that aside, I'm also sorry my commentary bothered you or that you felt the video dragged on needlessly. I tried to keep it entertaining and educational. I'll definitely work on it. I did try to make it clear that I'm still learning as I'm playing, and the intent of the videos I've posted so far was more to share my experiences with the game than to act as a proper guide or walk-through.. if that's the kind of content you're after I'm sure there are more senior members of the community you can watch instead. I do appreciate the feedback though! I will try to cut out some of the unnecessary recordings and keep the rambling banter to a minimum in the future! :D

Last edited:
longsword, greatsword, bastard sword, arming sword.... whatever you guys want to argue about, go for it.

these are mostly all modern names. in historical treatises, every sword was usually referred to as "sword" and little else.

swords. thats what theyre called. no need to nitpick, it often just makes you look like a tryhard.

ThommiX

First of all..
"The longsword is characterised not so much by a longer blade, but by a longer grip, which indicates a weapon designed for two-handed use. Swords with exceptionally long hilts are found throughout the High Middle Ages, but these remain rare, and are not representative of an identifiable trend before the late 13th or early 14th century."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longsword

And..
"Description of Medieval Long Sword
The weapons used the Medieval times include the Long Sword. The description of the Medieval Long Sword which provides basic facts and information about the weapon is as follows:

• The Medieval Long Sword had a two-edged blade and a handle which was long enough for two hands
  • The length of the Long Sword ranged from 40 - 48 inches
  • The Medieval Long Sword handle that measured 10 - 15 inches in additional length
  • The extended handle of the Long Sword allowed the blade to be held in two hands
  • The Medieval Long Sword weighed between 5 - 8 pounds"
http://www.medieval-life-and-times.info/medieval-swords-and-armor/long-sword.htm

And lastly..
"Sometimes the term 'longsword' is used incorrectly for a one-handed sword but with a fairly long blade.. Which.. That's completely wrong."
Skip to around 2:38 if you can't stand to listen to him that long. Hehe

Not trying to be a prick or say "I'm right," as he clearly goes on to clarify that I was wrong and you were right too, a "Two-Handed Sword" is indeed a different type of weapon and is not a "Longsword," I just want to illustrate that I think the term is demonstratively ambiguous throughout different mediums, and needless to say if I'm the one confused by it, I am not the only one. ;)

All of that aside, I'm also sorry my commentary bothered you or that you felt the video dragged on needlessly. I tried to keep it entertaining and educational. I'll definitely work on it. I did try to make it clear that I'm still learning as I'm playing, and the intent of the videos I've posted so far was more to share my experiences with the game than to act as a proper guide or walk-through.. if that's the kind of content you're after I'm sure there are more senior members of the community you can watch instead. I do appreciate the feedback though! I will try to cut out some of the unnecessary recordings and keep the rambling banter to a minimum in the future! :D
Lol however you want to twist it,sure,go ahead.

If you want to talk about the common longsword,its not the 2-hander,no matter how much you want to bend and twist your own terminology. Yes,most medieval swords could be wielded with 2-hands also,depending did they made the handle long enough. 1 and a half handed swords were basicly almost 2-handers but not quite,but made so that they could be used with 1-hand, if the wielder had enough actual strength to do it.
That doesn't mean they are 2-handers... I also underlined the points in your explanation that should tell you that you are not talking about a 2-hander,you are talking about a weapon which can be used with 2 hands if the handle is long enough... Really,read your copypasted wikistuff again and this time Understand what it says.

There is absolutely nothing confusing in a longsword and a 2-hander. There are even 1 and half hand swords like the most known Bastard Sword. Your term is competely wrong and incorrect and describes entirely different weapon,but do use it if you wish,you will be said about it probably a lot. If someone bothers.

Yes i understand what you were trying to do in your videos and the blunt truth is: They are really boring and bad. Think what you're going to record,think what you are going to say,don't just improvise as majority of people can't do that at all. My first impression was just to mute it.

Back on topic, my first noob moment probably came in the 5th level while wandering around happily without thinking and waking up couple first golems,who proceeded to make a pancake out of me.

Last edited:

Homiccus

On the subject of 1h vs 2h sword.
I'm afraid Shalen Smith is right. To a degree. The equipment in Exanima is based on late medieval arms -you can easily discern bascinets, barbutes, gothic plate elements, early spaulders, churburg style breastplate, hundsgugels etc. In this context the term longsword means your 'bastard sword' or 'hand and a half' - the former is 15th century term, the latter is 19th century. Heck, there's even the halfsword technique used when fighting with ingame '2 handed' swords. Longsword as a longer blade with short grip has been popularised by d&d games I'm afraid. I can't see any spathas or rapiers in the game either.
There are also no true 2h swords in the game maybe apart from the executioner's blade.
The strength requirement to use the 'bastard sword' in one hand is also a fantasy games myth. I prefer fighting with my longsword in one hand and shield in the other instead of using shorter 'arming' sword because of superior balance and reach of the longer blade. I'm not particularly athletic either.
Just my nitpicking tuppence here. Back to the studio.

ThommiX

Well go test it out on a real steel sword. Its not that light to throw around especially if you don't have any strength as a 1 hander. Even swinging with two hands tires you up fast. Hence i said that you need some physical build to even pull it off. There's nothing fantasy about it,dunno where you got that. I've actually tested out real fighting with real weapons and not being an athlete,its really tiring and heavy fast.Even worse when you start wearing armor.

You both are right and wrong. Swords have many ways to be described,but the longsword is the most common one,and its at least as far as i know, a 1-handed sword which can usually be used with 2 hands to allow more power in the strike. Heck,take a look at something like Arthur and his knights or almost any movie with swords. Yea,i know they are movies,but they pretty well show you the differences in 2-hand and 1-hand swords which are just wielded with 2-hands.

There's also a ton of smaller and different 1-hand swords, like roman gladius or arabian scimitar. Not sure where falchion was from out of the top of my head. Scimitar at least could be also used with 2-hands,though generally was a 1-hander if i'm not totally remembering wrong.

Last edited:

Homiccus

Mate, I've been fighting with steel for two and a half years now. If you're anywhere around Croydon, UK, on a Friday night, pop in for a bash. It's free and we'll lend you some gear to start off. I'll even let you swing my Vorslag and compare it to a single handed sword if you like. :)

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.