What's taking so long?

Jimmini

Insider
Another reasonable explanation could be game development taking time. Things that seem simple on the surface may actually be very complex to make.

Midcal9

Another reasonable explanation could be game development taking time. Things that seem simple on the surface may actually be very complex to make.
Touche good sir, very true, yes. However, even if they are still testing the new level they could still throw us a bone out of their sheer kindness and let us have some of those redesigned earlier levels and some new items.

However muh dude, I'm not sayin' they they don't do their best, I'm just sayin' that at this point I'm even considering playing in scummy and retarded GTAV.

Jimmini

Insider
There are other things, including potentially game-breaking bugs, that are still being sorted out, apart from the new level. It wouldn't be very wise to release it in the state it is now, and since Madoc's work currently doesn't involve the new level much, it doesn't slow down the development of the other things.
Retroactively adding items to the last public version would probably not work, or at the least hardly be worth the effort (not to mention the redesigned levels).

Even development of things required for the new level can be beneficial to the other content. An example of that are stairs, of which there supposedly are a few in the new level, so it's necessary to have them working properly, but there are also stairs between each level now, so it's still nice to have them working there too. You can have a look at the progress that was made in that regard in Madoc's stream today, viewable at https://mixer.com/Madoc?vod=24150359. This was completely broken until very recently, but he managed to sort it out rather quickly, even though there is absolutely no metadata or guides present for stairs, rather they are simply a bunch of geometry (the same that is used for rendering) like everything else, in the eyes of the AI.

Anyway, it should be relatively close now and will be well worth the wait.

Midcal9

There are other things, including potentially game-breaking bugs, that are still being sorted out, apart from the new level. It wouldn't be very wise to release it in the state it is now, and since Madoc's work currently doesn't involve the new level much, it doesn't slow down the development of the other things.
Retroactively adding items to the last public version would probably not work, or at the least hardly be worth the effort (not to mention the redesigned levels).

Even development of things required for the new level can be beneficial to the other content. An example of that are stairs, of which there supposedly are a few in the new level, so it's necessary to have them working properly, but there are also stairs between each level now, so it's still nice to have them working there too. You can have a look at the progress that was made in that regard in Madoc's stream today, viewable at https://mixer.com/Madoc?vod=24150359. This was completely broken until very recently, but he managed to sort it out rather quickly, even though there is absolutely no metadata or guides present for stairs, rather they are simply a bunch of geometry (the same that is used for rendering) like everything else, in the eyes of the AI.

Anyway, it should be relatively close now and will be well worth the wait.
Maybe, but releasing a certain amount of content which was already bug free would've been better.

Last edited:

Jimmini

Insider
No, it's only dead from your point of view. The lack of a patch or even status update for a while has nothing to do with a game being dead. It would be dead if the developers would have abandoned it, which is evidently not the case here.

Myrlin

Insider
As long as the dev’s are deving, I’m totally happy to wait. This game ticks all my boxes and while it is a long time coming it’s worth the wait by Examina and the pre-alpha examples. I play other games in the mean time which breaks up the chronic desire for the finished game and the long wait between updates.
The reason I’m posting this is simply to voice my endorsement, gratitude and perennial patience, for the record, to Bare Mettle, rather than stating an opinion others should hold. I encourage all time and effort in the work needed for the completion of this game since it’s abandonment would be a huge loss.
M.

Midcal9

The update will come
*froths and spasms on the floor*
Me thinks it's...me thinks it's bad when devs don't have a CEA breathing down their neck and actually making them..accountable. Sure you could point a thousand downsides to having a ceo, such as "artistic freedom", but...NOT EVEN GIVING US SOMETHING, is not cool.

As it stands right now the main dev of devs can postpone or drop the whole thing altogether, he is not bound by any contracts. Madoc could decide to not release Exa in patches but instead take another 6 month to release the whole game instead. Or do it in 12 month, I've been told many times in discord that it won't take it that long, but in all honesty I strongly disbelieve such claims. Anyways, I can't wait for Underworld Ascendant and Vampyr now.

teje1997

Probably. But do you care about whewn it will come out? Do you know if they started testing the new level, yet?
Well, they have tested everything, the only thing we haven't seen is the new level, and I believe that it's because of the spoilers. Anyways, you can see the companion here: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/235923567

They do what they say. By now they haven't lied to us, so... There are no reasons to be mad (not telling that you are mad, but a lot of people is.) Just a big waiting as they promised.

Sorry for my english.

Midcal9

Well, they have tested everything, the only thing we haven't seen is the new level, and I believe that it's because of the spoilers. Anyways, you can see the companion here: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/235923567

They do what they say. By now they haven't lied to us, so... There are no reasons to be mad (not telling that you are mad, but a lot of people is.) Just a big waiting as they promised.

Sorry for my english.
I'm not asking for screenshots, I'm asking if it has been tested or at least has entered the test stage. And being in the test stage might mean 2 more month of waiting, depending on how many things they'll have to fix due to its introduction.

IE we don't know and no one has to tell us anything. Sad stuff, truly so.

Tony

Insider
Madoc has recently been spending a significant amount of time redoing the character's dynamic movement balancer so it can better cope with the uneven terrain in the new content (stairs, steep surfaces, rocky terrain, etc.). It has been a very frustrating process due to how complex the mechanics are; when he gets one part working well then starts to work on an area that is still causing problems it breaks what was already working well thus requiring more work. He wants to get it to a point where it can handle all conditions well to prevent future problems with it.

Midcal9

Madoc has recently been spending a significant amount of time redoing the character's dynamic movement balancer so it can better cope with the uneven terrain in the new content (stairs, steep surfaces, rocky terrain, etc.). It has been a very frustrating process due to how complex the mechanics are; when he gets one part working well then starts to work on an area that is still causing problems it breaks what was already working well thus requiring more work. He wants to get it to a point where it can handle all conditions well to prevent future problems with it.
Sure I figured he got massively sidetracked. He can get sidetracked and have all creative freedom he has because he is his own boss. Good for him in a way, but we all get older as we wait, I guess.

Can we at trhe very least get some sort of red line? Like, when, dude?

Tony

Insider
Sure I figured he got massively sidetracked. He can get sidetracked and have all creative freedom he has because he is his own boss. Good for him in a way, but we all get older as we wait, I guess.

Can we at trhe very least get some sort of red line? Like, when, dude?
I didn't mention him getting sidetracked. Like I mentioned above the movement balancer is important and necessary for the upcoming content so you don't just flop over constantly (which would make it nearly unplayable).

Midcal9

I didn't mention him getting sidetracked. Like I mentioned above the movement balancer is important and necessary for the upcoming content so you don't just flop over constantly (which would make it nearly unplayable).
It depends on how strict you're willing to use that term. As you continue to work on a large project you can always get lost in the details, especially if you're very pedantic. I know very well how this conversation will go, we will always go back to ground zero when you will say "issue X arose and devs do their best", but in a way you could apply it to any issue that they encounter, it would always apply as long as the devs do something.

Regardless of what is actually going on there, I still do not have anything tangible, not even a promise of when something new will come out. Yes I know, giving even that to me is pointless because no one knows anything and devs do their best. But it doesn't actually help. Do you get my point? We've go nothing.

Suppose that the testing of the new level would uncover some new bugs and it would take another..1 to 3 month to fix them. What then? Nothing. You just wait. No accountability, no boss who would have any power or leverage over you. And this is Exanima we are talking about here, The Sui Generis is more of an Unobtanium right now.

Jimmini

Insider
I don't know just how crucial it is to get the new balance system in, but they seem to consider it important enough for them to develop it now, since they too want to get the update out sooner rather than later, crunching even more than usual. This update sure takes a while, but that doesn't mean they're getting lost in details. Like I said, it's all simply a lot of work.

I think it's good that they're independent and don't have to answer to anybody, since that's what makes this game possible in the first place. There are enough games around that were produced under such pressure, by developers who had to meet deadlines instead of doing what they thought was best. Not that it matters, but I'm very glad about the current situation and wouldn't want it any other way.

People were able to live their lives perfectly fine before Exanima existed, I don't see any reason why they couldn't do the same now. They don't have to sit in their chairs and actively wait for the game to get an update.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.