Windows 10

I liked a couple things from the demo video but haven't been bothered to download the demo myself.
I'm thankful for the start menu change and being able to snap apps might be enough so I actually use them.
From a technical point, I don't know much about 10 but if someone has some insight, it'd certainly be interesting.
I truly hope the start naming versions like Apple did. I just want Windows 10 Dog.

Parco

I hope they allow for complete redesign, at least to change it to 7/xp design, i dont like the squares with sharp color design at all. and pls allow me to remove all the apps, im perfectly fine with apps on a touch screen, but i most certainly wont be using them on a pc with mouse and keyboard as they will only be in the way, especially if the start menu gets twice as large because of it.

lvk

Insider
I read the rumor that skipping Windows 9 was due to a lot of poorly written legacy code detected Windows 95 and 98 by checking if the operating system name started with "Windows 9" to cover both of the options. It felt a little hard to believe, so I searched for it and came across the following quote from a CNET article:
"Having worked on the Windows compatibility team before, I have no difficulty believing this," wrote user richkzad in response. There are in fact examples of this on publicly available code repositories.
The full article is available here. I still feel it's unlikely this is the reason for skipping version 9, but it's a fair guess if anything.

lvk

Insider
I retract my previous post. @Komuflage's theory is the most solid one so far.

What gets me most about the official announcement post is that the features they are praising are just the new things from Windows 8 they just removed.

The Start Menu has been an essential feature since forever which was put back when they realized how terrible it was to remove it. Adding a title/context bar to Windows Store apps is retroactive prevention of fullscreen apps that felt self-important enough to take up your full screen estate while providing minimal functionality. The Task View button is exposing Alt-Tab functionality that has existed since... very long. File Explorer displaying recently opened files and such is not exactly new functionality either...

And still, I will enjoy this version more than Windows 8, even if it was primarily designed with tablet computers in mind and at least did that pretty well. It's really hard to top Windows 7 though.

Pilluminati

Insider
There's some other features though, like virtual desktops, here seen on linux (in 1998):

some new snap view features, and of course the most revolutionizing, innovative thing... copy pasting in the command line!

Despite how ridiculous all that sounds it's definitely an improvement over 8. Windows 7 still feels a lot more consistent and uncluttered, but I'd probably choose 10 over it because of the faster boot times and some other minor improvements.

Hemectu

Insider
Just so you guys know :)
Windows 10 is really just windows 8.2.

There are some memory management improvements and User improvements (start button) but otherwise the kernel is basically the same as Windows 8.1 ;)

:eek: < best emoticon ever.

Parco

and windows 7 is xp with vista graphics :p windows 10 is what windows 8 should have been the same way windows 7 is what vista should have been
< 2nd best emoticon ever

Murf

Windows XP - Great.
Windows Vista - Sucks.
Windows 7 - Great.
Windows 8 - Sucks.
Windows 9 - Great.
Windows 10 - Sucks.
Well it speaks for itself.

A bit Immature but there is some truth in it ;)

Hey Hey hey, pull that bus over to the side of the pretentiousness turnpike. (Heh sorry, saw 'No Cure for Cancer' again last night)

All cool if you are gonna make a list like that but be fair ad ALL the windows iterations and see if it still fits the pattern ;-)

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.