World Traveling

hredthel

Insider
"just seems like a pain in the ass for a small feature"

no offense taken man: this was my point... I think mounts are just a garnish on the frosting of the whole cake itself: yet at the same time extremely demanding in terms of production. In other words: Not worth all the work unless it's a main feature. Since that's just my take on mounts I wouldn't expect many to share like opinions. I'm definitely outnumbered on the forums with not liking mounts in most rpg's.

EDIT:
...and Marius: I too, am a lord of metal. Choose your weapon carefully and we shall duel. Grandpa's Guitars are forbidden.

Tony

Insider
The Hedge knight are you a real knight, as in a reenactor of days long past? Then you must allie your self with me the lord of metal we will conquer all who take us on :p
I'm not a real knight; however, I am a real marksman :) Though I don't think me using firearms would be very chivalrous ;)

"just seems like a pain in the ass for a small feature"

no offense taken man: this was my point... I think mounts are just a garnish on the frosting of the whole cake itself: yet at the same time extremely demanding in terms of production. In other words: Not worth all the work unless it's a main feature. Since that's just my take on mounts I wouldn't expect many to share like opinions. I'm definitely outnumbered on the forums with not liking mounts in most rpg's.

EDIT:
...and Marius: I too, am a lord of metal. Choose your weapon carefully and we shall duel. Grandpa's Guitars are forbidden.
I don't think horses are at all unnecessary, I mean, they speed up travel greatly. If the world is a decent enough size you have to say, spend ten minutes just walking between towns; it can get boring quickly, with a horse it could be done in three. Not to mention it adds a whole new level to combat.

MrIdontKnow

Insider
I don't think horses are at all unnecessary, I mean, they speed up travel greatly. If the world is a decent enough size you have to say, spend ten minutes just walking between towns; it can get boring quickly, with a horse it could be done in three. Not to mention it adds a whole new level to combat.
Like I said, there should be transport in this game rather than location hopping, I hate that unless it's a Mage power. Like Fallout 3 had, even though I used it to speed up the gameplay sometimes, I would have discovered everything available for me, and got 100% without needing help from Google.

Rob

I agree that horses are great and useful, and in an ideal world we'd have horses in Sui Generis. It would be awesome.

However, doing horses right is very very hard.

I'd rather have no horses at all than poor quality horses. If they can pull it off (which I suppose depends on the future animator) then it would be awesome, but it would be a shame to ruin a great game with comparatively sub-par horses.

hredthel

Insider
I agree that horses are great and useful, and in an ideal world we'd have horses in Sui Generis. It would be awesome.

However, doing horses right is very very hard.

I'd rather have no horses at all than poor quality horses. If they can pull it off (which I suppose depends on the future animator) then it would be awesome, but it would be a shame to ruin a great game with comparatively sub-par horses.
You've said what I wanted to say better than I could!

Reactions: Rob

trsp62

Insider
Getting back to 'fast travel' or not. Don't have a problem with being made to move around the world and stumble on things as you go - in fact to a large extent I am all for it. Do have a problem with quests like: your are in town A talk & to the man, he says you need to go to town B and talk to X; you trog off (5 mins real time stomping) to B and talk to X he says: 'why yes, this and this and tihs'; trog back to town A and report what X says; the man says 'excellent just as I thought, now you will need to talk to Y' ... and where is Y? You got it in town B... trog all the way back again. When it gets to the third 'retrace your steps' and there is no fast travel, is when I go look for the cell-to-cell cheat codes. Just my 'two pennorth'.

Reactions: Rob

Agnes

Developer
Getting back to 'fast travel' or not. Don't have a problem with being made to move around the world and stumble on things as you go - in fact to a large extent I am all for it. Do have a problem with quests like: your are in town A talk & to the man, he says you need to go to town B and talk to X; you trog off (5 mins real time stomping) to B and talk to X he says: 'why yes, this and this and tihs'; trog back to town A and report what X says; the man says 'excellent just as I thought, now you will need to talk to Y' ... and where is Y? You got it in town B... trog all the way back again. When it gets to the third 'retrace your steps' and there is no fast travel, is when I go look for the cell-to-cell cheat codes. Just my 'two pennorth'.
That sounds like a very unlikely quest scenario in this game.... :)

And... if you try to cheat, the game will format your hard drive! :p

Tony

Insider

*Note to self: make sure to install Sui Generis on it's own partitioned hard drive!* ;)

It's good to see you post, Agnes! Dev posts always help promote a more active gaming community. Hope to see you around more often.

Rob

Sounds like a recipe for disaster!!!!

Walk forward... [DOES NOT COMPUTE]... [FORMATTING HARD DRIVE]... :eek:

How does this sound? Mounts (horses, cattle, warthogs, etc) as a means of transportation would be good but are not a priority at this time. The use of mounts to make combat more plausible (depending on character type) would be good but might be difficult to implement well. For instance, Skyrim did it badly, M&B did it really well.

Maybe some realism would be good. So, horses need food and water (taken from the nearby environment) and breaks. Also, maybe horses might twist an ankle if they are ridden over terrain that is too challenging (so no riding up cliffs). If it was done well, you could actually develop an attachment to your mount. Imagine the pain when your horse who has been with you through thick and thin breaks an ankle and you have to kill it out of mercy.

In terms of travelling (the original topic of this thread), something like M&B would be good. Not necessarily a world map with symbolic markers but maybe a wider view and accelerated time scale. This would leave you open to attacks from bandits and environmental concerns.

Also, purchasable (or maybe craftable) maps could be available.

For transportation, people ride whatever the local ungulate is. Llamas, horses, donkeys, zebras, etc. It would be fun if the SG world had its own variants (as long as they weren't tacky, *cough* Avatar *cough*).

This could also tie in to the proposed fast travelling using wagons from certain locations. They would probably be pulled by oxen or horses.

Bibidibop

Insider
I think I understand the "getting horses right" issue. It's not just a matter of movement, but giving them combat characteristics, and armor, too? The lack of mounted combat in the Eldar Scrolls games was extremely frustrating and disappointing. The issue was only recently remedied.

With no fast travel, and if there were no mounts, but perhaps caravans, would we be able to fast travel by paying for a ride with a caravan, or other group? The way I see it is, if you are alone then you need to be constantly vigilant, but if you are with a large group then you can afford not to pay as much attention, thus the game follows suit and ignores the travel time. On the same note, as with the original two Fallout travel systems, there could be a chance for hitting random encounters, as determined by what you would actually encounter normally.

Alternatively, what about forming a group which we lead, in which case we don't get a fast-travel time-skip, but we do get payed?

I also had a silly idea for if mounts get in: could there be a bike? Not a modern bike, not even one of those huge wheel ones, but a single example of the first bike.

You can see it's a steerable push bike, and it was invented by a baron, in 1817, as a replacement for horses, capable of 9 mph. One site, says it was so he could get around the royal gardens faster. Another says he based the design on a similar, but unsteerable precursor, the celerifere. A similar scenario could exist in the game, and opportunity could present itself, or be made by the player, to receive the bike.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_bicycle
http://www.pedalinghistory.com/PHhistory.html
http://inventors.about.com/od/bstartinventions/a/History-Of-The-Bicycle.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_Drais

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.